Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

15 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’d quite like to know the percentage/ number of people currently refusing the vaccine? Is this a question that’s better to ask Mr Ashford directly or is it one for the press?

I suspect they don't have the faintest idea - not that that would stop them making something up if they wanted to.

Without actually chasing people up, there's no way they have of knowing whether a letter they sent out, asking someone to ring 111 and book a slot was not replied to because:

(a) they didn't understand it;

(b) they couldn't get through and were scared of running up enormous phone bills;

(c) they didn't know how they would get to the vaccination centre safely or at all;

(d) they died five years ago;

(e) they moved ten years ago;

(f) they moved to Australia fifteen years ago;

(g) they vaguely thought it ought to go to someone else who deserved it more;

(h) they've been watching mad YouTube videos;

(i) - (z) numerous other reasons.

Only (h) really counts as refusing and maybe (g) if there's no one to persuade them to see sense.  But how can you tell?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even now we allow people to avoid being tested with 21 days isolation when the current lockdown was caused by someone who allegedly developed symptoms at 21 days after no testing.

I don't think it can be proved either way, but it was felt by Public Health that the most likely explanation for the outbreak was that the person who went on to test positive probably didn't have it at the time they arrived on the island and went in to isolation. They probably caught it from one of the other people isolating with them, and therefore they were not at day 21 of their own illness when they developed symptoms and tested positive. It makes a difference because the chances of being infectious 21 days after catching COVID are very low indeed - much lower than the false negative rate from the tests.

21 days isolation for someone isolating on their own is probably just as effective at preventing infection getting into the community as 14 days isolation and a negative test. About 1% of people with COVID remain infectious after 14 days. The false negative rate for tests is around 10% (largely due to problems swabbing, transporting etc rather than actual test failures) so that means that around 1 in 1,000 people who are positive when they arrive will still be positive after 14 days but will test negative and therefore be released into the community. That is very similar to the figure of people remaining positive after 21 days

Problems can arise of course if people are not isolating alone and one person passes it to the other at some point in their isolation period. Then the 21 day isolation with no testing would be a bit vulnerable.

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I don't think it can be proved either way, but it was felt by Public Health that the most likely explanation for the outbreak was that the person who went on to test positive probably didn't have it at the time they arrived on the island and went in to isolation. They probably caught it from one of the other people isolating with them, and therefore they were not at day 21 of their own illness when they developed symptoms and tested positive. It makes a difference because the chances of being infectious 21 days after catching COVID are very low indeed - much lower than the false negative rate from the tests.

21 days isolation for someone isolating on their own is probably just as effective at preventing infection getting into the community as 14 days isolation and a negative test. About 1% of people with COVID remain infectious after 14 days. The false negative rate for tests is around 10% (largely due to problems swabbing, transporting etc rather than actual test failures) so that means that around 1 in 1,000 people who are positive when they arrive will still be positive after 14 days but will test negative and therefore be released into the community. That is very similar to the figure of people remaining positive after 21 days

Problems can arise of course if people are not isolating alone and one person passes it to the other at some point in their isolation period. Then the 21 day isolation with no testing would be a bit vulnerable.

That's right and it was accepted by government that it was not designed to be 100% secure. The gold standard but not absolute. As you say there is always going to be some circumstance,  possibly accidentally, that gets through. 

5 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Yes that was pretty much my point.  If tests were free they could not only have required them (and the larger the household the more onerous the current cost) but they could have introduced them earlier for those already in isolation.

That particular case was extremely odd indeed and should have been properly investigated (including using genomics) and as much as possible of the investigation made public.  But a lack of curiosity about how stuff got onto and around the Island seems perpetual.  It's the chronic mindset of "The less you know, the less everyone knows, the less you can be blamed".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm shocked, shocked, that Nobles Hospital admin could screw up some appointments.  Surely such a thing has never happened before!

I heard that on the Mannin Line or Wint's Wisdom or whatever it's now called.  You just put your head in your hands. 

This morning I had a call from the hospital to cancel a regular treatment appointment on Monday.  Thing is, I wasn't advised of the appointment in the first place. 

As always with the hospital, it is the administration side that lets everything down. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

People turned up for vaccinations but it’s closed, shambles!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/concern-after-missed-vaccine-appointment/

The guy didn't sound that sure. Hope someone checked he was in the right place at the right time and date. We can all get it wrong. Best check before we all start going ape'

If its true (sounds like it is) then yes. Shambles and embarrassing 

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm shocked, shocked, that Nobles Hospital admin could screw up some appointments.  Surely such a thing has never happened before!

I'm not going to launch into a massive defence of the hospital admin system, but it is sometimes the patients that get it wrong too.  I've had people turn up to be seen in clinic, be told they're not on the list, and they then go on to produce their letter with a different date, different clinic or different location printed on it.  If we can, we do our best to help (but if they're expecting me to sort their haemorrhoids then I'm sorry...)

My own vaccination appointment was made by phone and confirmed by email.  I don't think Noble's admin had anything to do with it at all - if was all 111

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

we do our best to help (but if they're expecting me to sort their haemorrhoids then I'm sorry...)

You could have tried.

My Dad used to tell of a story when he was attending regular consultant's appointments for blood pressure, I think, the locum consultant asked how long he had had haemorrhoids while putting on a rubber glove.  

• Haha 1