Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Plenty of similar stories - they talked about it on R4 this morning.

What are people meant to do? GPs are damned if they discard any at the end of the day, or damned if they give it to friends and family who will have it at some point anyway but are able to turn up immediately.

And it's not possible to plan, exactly, in advance.  Most vials give 6 doses, but some don't.  Can't plan for all the extras you might have.  If they overbooked no doubt they'd be slammed for turning people away.

Depends who is actually getting the left over doses, in Spain lots of local mayors, their wives, families have been getting vaccinated to allegedly show it’s safe etc but these reasons are not being accepted by central government with some resignations

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Depends who is actually getting the left over doses, in Spain lots of local mayors, their wives, families have been getting vaccinated to allegedly show it’s safe etc but these reasons are not being accepted by central government with some resignations

Personally I think anybody getting them, anybody at all, is better than wastage.  As long as the mayor's wife is not getting it in a corrupt, planned way, which obviously needs policing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

What are people meant to do? GPs are damned if they discard any at the end of the day, or damned if they give it to friends and family who will have it at some point anyway but are able to turn up immediately.

First of all, declare any excess doses and the reasons for it.

Then deal with the reasons and find a solution.

As the Minister said this morning, housebound patients to be given priority after care homes so it seems reasonable that mobile vaccine teams can attend peoples homes. I am sure relatives would be happy to support at short notices

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Wrighty, if there are two vials of the same batch which each have 5 3/4 doses in, would the two extra 3/4 be combined to create an extra dose, or are they discarded? 

Don't know what the rules are regarding how exact a dose has to be - is 3/4 enough? 7/8 is almost certainly OK, and the measurement isn't that precise (0.3ml is not going to be exact - I suspect people are getting anywhere from 0.25 to 0.35 ml).  I doubt they're allowed to mix vials though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Wrighty, if there are two vials of the same batch which each have 5 3/4 doses in, would the two extra 3/4 be combined to create an extra dose, or are they discarded? 

No.  You can potentially get six doses out of a vial, because the vaccine is diluted with 1.8mL of saline,  but the instructions are quite clear: "Where a full 0.3 mL dose cannot be extracted the contents should be discarded".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I read somewhere that the reason for getting the 6 doses out of a vial was down to the type of syringe used. I think it was called a low waste space syringe or something.

So it seems.  Just before the bit in the instructions I quoted it says:

Vial volume was optimised to reliably obtain 5 doses regardless of syringe type used as most syringe and needle combinations require withdrawal of excess volume in order to ensure the full 0.3 mL dose of vaccine can be administered. When low dead-volume syringes and/or needles are used, the amount remaining in the vial after 5 doses have been extracted may be sufficient for an additional (sixth) dose. 

They also say: "Use as soon as practically possible, and within 6 hours after dilution", so there's a limit on how long you can use unused doses for.  Effectively that's why it needs to be someone in the vicinity.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Formatting