Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 minute ago, Declan said:

Or people turn up on time and stop trying to jump the queue.

If someone has an appointment at 10 and turns up at 9:50 they shouldn't have to wait longer because someone with an 10:30 appointment turned up at 9:30.

Well that's true and surely the whole point of giving people appointment times.  But if you do you then need to provide suitable waiting areas for people who turn up early, which a load of people will be for whole range of practical or psychological reasons. 

Given that Airport is already a venue where most of the public space is taken up with areas where people are sitting around waiting for something to happen, it takes the organising genius of the DoI to forget this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

What's the plan then for arrivals? Do they just walk past the queue on their way to self isolation?

As I pointed out when the vaccination venues were announced:

So of all the places they could have chosen on the Island to administer a medical vaccine to vulnerable people they have chosen:

• The room which people carrying the virus are most likely to pass through
  • A room which would be condemned on public health grounds for any other use

It's exactly what you would expect isn't it?

This is what happens when you allow the DoI to do exactly what suits them rather than what serves the public.  It's not just the DoI management that needs to go, it's all those that enable them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It will be better from Monday when social distancing will be dropped. 

Not really as still not many seats and not enough for those turning up early, what do you do if a few 90 year old is sitting in available seats after turning up early, tell them to stand so the 85 years old can sit?

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well that's true and surely the whole point of giving people appointment times.  But if you do you then need to provide suitable waiting areas for people who turn up early, which a load of people will be for whole range of practical or psychological reasons. 

Given that Airport is already a venue where most of the public space is taken up with areas where people are sitting around waiting for something to happen, it takes the organising genius of the DoI to forget this.

Have they they opened the upstairs cafe yet? :cool:

15 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Unless you are a red arrows pilot, there is no way you are going to be able to get anywhere bang on time. The cafe upstairs should be used as a holding area with people called down into the vaccination hall when it's their time. Cant be too difficult to sort out FFS!

Yes.... open up the cafe and make it a day out! :lol:

• Like 3

It is pretty short-sighted to think that people will not turn up early. When I go to the airport my safety margin is an awful lot more than 15 minutes - because a small problem somewhere along the way will mean a missed flight.

These people are all over 80 years old. They will often be dependent on other people, who have other responsibilities.

And there is no need for any queue jumping. The people running the vaccination centre know who should be there and at what time. They just need to call out the next name on the list. If no-one staggers forward, they take the next name on the list.

Don't blame the 80 year-olds. Blame the organisers.

[And as this is an airport.... during the Berlin Airlift aircraft were landing constantly day and night. If an aircraft missed its approach, it did not circle around and try again, it circled back to Frankfurt. It could not try again because of the unbroken queue behind it.

So my plan is to have a queue of DoI mini-buses constantly orbiting the airport, fully loaded with OAPs, and just letting them off when their time is up. Can't fail.]

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It is pretty short-sighted to think that people will not turn up early. When I go to the airport my safety margin is an awful lot more than 15 minutes - because a small problem somewhere along the way will mean a missed flight.

Do you turn up for a doctors appointment an hour early?

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

In a Manx Radio audio clip today Ashford says that the airport was specifically chosen because it has enough space for people to queue, without having to wait outside. Hmmm.

If there was a snowstorm or heavy rain today, the old fogeys would be dropping like flies. And did they provide folding chairs for the oldies to sit on like in some of the UK centres, or would that be an unreasonable cost.

I went past twice (essential journey) and there were about 30 people in the first 11am queue. Wheelchairs, Zimmer frames, not a chair or bench in sight. (how long would it take to have put them in place this week?)

The lack of facilities for older people and /or those who can not stand for long periods of time is not great either when queuing in Tescos or Shoprite.  Talk about adding to peoples misery in those places.

• Like 4

Scotland to start publishing 'expected supply of vaccine' data from next week - despite UK government ordering it not to

These figure were published - and then swiftly deleted - a few weeks ago but Ms Sturgeon says they have separately been released through "spin" to the media (presumably she means by the UK government).

"I have told my officials, regardless of what they (UK government) say, we'll go back to publishing the supply figures from next week."

Her own MSPs applaud when she says this.

Why should we care? Well, the figures tell us when everyone in the UK might expect a jab - and after they were first published Sky's Rowland Manthorpe drew some interesting conclusions.