Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

I am still unclear as to why we need 5* vaccination facilities, the testing facility is a tent, and why we are so different to the UK.  OK, so they have a real problem in infection, but wouldn't that indicate that they need the 5* facilities in terms of viral containment and hygiene rather than us?  I just don't get it. 

Every time I see people on TV being vaccinated some staff are wearing gloves, some are not. Same with masks.

What is the best infection control advice being given to staff, or is DA trying to save on PPE costs now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Hi. Yes. If you divide say, £140,000 by 85,000 it is about £1.65 per person.

£1.65 To save your life.

The vaccine is what will save lives. It could be administered in cubicles formed by hospital framed curtains as it is in countless other locations as has been shown in coverage from UK. Or indeed in non-Covid operations on the Island itself.

Suppose they spent £30,000 on such framed curtains? That would be 35p for each of those 85000. Plus the curtains and frames could be washed and reused elsewhere when this is all over.

As opposed to timber and plasterboard which is going to end up in the incinerator or landfill respectively?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snowman said:

Why dont people just get a signed letter given to them at the time of the vaccination?

Surely its easier than any other method retrospectively ?  Not everyone will have online aceess to Patient Access and requests to GP's to provide confirmation will only cause delay as soon as everyone want to begin travelling (probably all at the same time)

Didn't someone (IW) mention getting a certificate with a batch number and date on it when you attend for vaccination?

3 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Toward the end of the year there would be a mad panic to spend any surplus that hadn't been used on literally anything they saw fit as a lack of spend would mean a reduction in their Dept. budget the following year.

Exactly. Anyway, we are loaded as an island. And the UK will bail us out as and when needed.

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Irrespective.... none of them would have given a thought to people of any age standing outside in the wind and rain. There were people there in wheelchairs.

Oh quite.  My point was just that there are often ways for the 'right' people (and their relatives) to escape the consequences of their own actions.  The depressing thing is that all this was completely predictable,  But once the decision had been made to use the Airport, entirely because the DoI management decided that was what they wanted to do, it was also unavoidable.  Because indulging the prima donnas of the DoI is all that matters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Irrespective.... none of them would have given a thought to people of any age standing outside in the wind and rain. There were people there in wheelchairs.

.....having to stand and wait bunched up in a queue. Walking sticks and simmer fames in hand.  I saw it and was horrified.

Shame on whoever planned this and did not take an older persons view as Roxanne has posted out already. Given that it was specifically for older people that is unforgivable. Good job my parents were not in that queue.:angry:

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

.....having to stand and wait bunched up in a queue. Walking sticks and simmer fames in hand.  I saw it and was horrified.

Shame on whoever planned this and did not take an older persons view as Roxanne has posted out already. Given that it was specifically for older people that is unforgivable. Good job my parents were not in that queue.:angry:

It’s stupid to have at airport at such a cost with no shelter, however it’s correct that many of the old dears turned up very early as stated causing the queues.

My Mum was there and she got there at 10.45 for 11 appointment and joined the queue but some she knew had appointments at 11.20 were already ahead of her in queue!!

They wouldn’t see you at doctors or hospital if you were 45 minutes early so should really have made the too early ones wait, problem is no where to wait!!

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

Well, thankfully at least it is not Winter...oops!

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s stupid to have at airport at such a cost with no shelter, however it’s correct that many of the old dears turned up very early as stated causing the queues.

Some of them probably took 15 minutes to get into the queue given where some people had to park or drop relatives off. Cars were being prevented from going to the front of the building.

Failure to plan properly is planning to fail, as they say.

Mind you, its the same in Shoprite and Co-op - queuing outside in all weathers with nowhere to sit / shelter. Pretty poor by anyone's standards.

Edited by Apple
typo

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

They wouldn’t see you at doctors or hospital if you were 45 minutes early so should really have made the too early ones wait, problem is no where to wait!!

And if course if they are seeing people out of allotted sequence, then the rational thing to do is to turn up early any way, so you are more likely to be seen on time.

And because they haven't allocated sufficient waiting areas, then it will be difficult to see people in sequence because they will need to spend time going up and down the outside queue trying work out who should be next.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If they had spent less on the indoors and more on outside shelters they still could have done the lot for relative chicken feed.  Who'd have thought the weather would be bad at this time of year? 

Or they could have done it in the Villa and even if the numerous waiting areas inside were full, they've still got the colonnade. 

Mind you if the DoI had been left to build outside shelters, it would probably take them six months and half a million quid to produce a leaky tarpaulin.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And if course if they are seeing people out of allotted sequence, then the rational thing to do is to turn up early any way, so you are more likely to be seen on time.

According to my Mum's friend. They were sticking to the appointed time for each person. So she got seen before the queue jumper in front who turned up too early. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1