Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

4 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

In Asia they don't wear masks to protect themselves, they wear them because its good manners not to infect others. That is what I am getting at. We should change our Me Me Me mindset and wear them for the same reason.

ETA Especially on the island because the air quality is that bad here the gov wont release the figures, think about that.

Bad air quality?  You've clearly not travelled extensively if you think there is anything wrong with the air quality here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Bad air quality?  You've clearly not travelled extensively if you think there is anything wrong with the air quality here.

It does not need to look and smell like a big city in China to be very poor air, full of carcinogens, trust me I have seen the details and that was over 15 years ago, lots more knackered diesel vehicles on the roads now.

I would hope that is why they are building a much bigger test centre, we need at lease emission tests yearly on vehicles.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

It does not need to look and smell like a big city in China to be very poor air, full of carcinogens, trust me I have seen the details and that was over 15 years ago, lots more knackered diesel vehicles on the roads now.

I would hope that is why they are building a much bigger test centre, we need at lease emission tests yearly on vehicles.

I'd have to disagree there in general.

Sure, there are some offenders on the road.  I reported one recently as it was churning out so much crap it was choking to follow it.

I'm also sure if you examine the air quality on Peel Road it wouldn't be great.  As with any busy road of slow moving traffic.

But in the general the quality of air on the island is as you would expect it to be. Fine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, monasqueen said:

The air is much healthier here than it is in a lot of places across. There are times when I have driven along a motorway across when I can hardly breathe (or can only breathe hardly).

The air here is okay when its windy ie most of the time, its when its still you would be shocked how bad it is in Douglas near the Quarterbridge roundabout and other busy junctions. How may city's do you know of that have their power station slap bang in the centre? That is not an ideal location.

I think Tony Blair could be right on travel pass & hope he’s right on no transmission once vaccinated 

A 'common travel pass' is 'going to be inevitable' for international travel

Asked about travel restrictions in order to prevent the import of new COVID variants, Mr Blair suggests a "common travel pass" is "going to be inevitable".

"The only way you are going to be able to get people travelling again is if they are able to prove either vaccination or testing status and do it by means that are verifiable," he adds.

He says that "evidence is building and growing" that vaccination can prevent someone transmitting the virus, as well as protecting themselves from serious disease.

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The meanings of words "should" be defined in the document. This is RFC2119:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html

GMC also differentiate ‘must’ and ‘should’ - para 5 on page 7 (of the pdf) if interested. 

https://www.gmc-uk.org/-/media/documents/good-medical-practice---english-20200128_pdf-51527435.pdf

To help out even further, schools could be asked to include the Use of English in their curriculum, if they don't already. 

Trouble is, a lot of the teachers would need teaching first. (I have known a few teachers whose grammar and spelling are poor, and they would suggest that they do not need such skills for teaching, say, maths).

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Only a recommendation then? 

Yes, I was quoting from RFC2119: "Authors who follow these guidelines should incorporate this phrase near the beginning of their document".

As far as I can recall, all the Request For Tender/Proposals I saw contained the same kind of text - it was just cut-and-paste from other documents anyway.

I wonder what the prom. contract says: "Works SHALL be completed within 12 months of contract signing". Maybe not.

• Haha 1