Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

We've seen how poorly virtually everything in the uk has been done.

They, like everyone else, got off to a slow start, especially around care and nursing homes. They have caught up and apart from Israel are leading that race to vaccinate.

I suspect we are not that far behind in percentage population and am glad that the UK got our vaccine for us. The IOM government could have been at the end of a very long queue if they hadn't. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bonatti said:

What exactly are the U.K. doing wrong with their vaccination program?

They seem to be getting the job done rather well.

Local to me we're using Stithian's showground, running very well indeed.

New vaccination centre in Cornwall at Stithians Showground | Falmouth Packet

Not as posh a Ronaldsway but works.

New vaccination centre in Cornwall at Stithians Showground | Falmouth Packet

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

What experience do you have of mass vaccination of populations out of interest?

Before you mention it, please don't hold the UK up as some shining beacon in this exercise.  We've seen how poorly virtually everything in the uk has been done.

Yes I'm sure that every other country in the World will have not gone ahead without the skirting boards.

This isn't just about costs (though if the Airport cost £140K, I shudder to think what the bill for Chester Street will be), it's about delay as well.  We were self-admittedly lucky with the last outbreak, if we had been in the situation of Guernsey (231 active cases yesterday) then there would have a lot of vulnerable people without protection who could have had it while the DoI farted about.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes I'm sure that every other country in the World will have not gone ahead without the skirting boards.

This isn't just about costs (though if the Airport cost £140K, I shudder to think what the bill for Chester Street will be), it's about delay as well.  We were self-admittedly lucky with the last outbreak, if we had been in the situation of Guernsey (231 active cases yesterday) then there would have a lot of vulnerable people without protection who could have had it while the DoI farted about.

I think that's a little over dramatic.

Given we have no one in hospital I think the "delay" has no real implications or material risks.

Also, given the actual volume of vaccination we have it would appear and delay didnt really set us back any material time frame.

The reality is the borders are essentially shut, hardly anyone is going anywhere for probably 4 months at least, by which time we will be a long way down the road of vaccination of everyone who wants it.

Speaking of Guernsey, they have a media briefing at 12:30pm today. It can be found on YouTube, FaceAche and their government covid homepage. covid19.gov.gg 

I'd recommend watching it if you have time. Yesterday I watched their briefing from last Thursday and the charts their director of public health presented were even more detailed than what their daily info page shows. Good stuff.

If our lot are going to copy what Guernsey does as they have in the past, I wish they'd take a good long look at their briefings and emulate them. They take about the same amount of time but impart around ten times as much useful information with little, if any, waffle. And the press Q&A session is handled MUCH better.

Media Briefing - Monday 1st February at 12:30pm

A media briefing will take place today, Monday 1st February at 12:30pm.

It will be live streamed on the homepage of this website and on our facebook page (www.facebook.com/govgg

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This isn't just about costs (though if the Airport cost £140K, I shudder to think what the bill for Chester Street will be), it's about delay as well.

Costs don't come into it. There are many people who are now reassured they and / or their family are as well protected as they can be and it will get better with time.

As for being able to visit those in care homes and the like, the relief will be immense from today.

Politically though, this is all about the rewards at the end.🥇

The important thing is to vaccinate as many people as possible, in accordance with the protocols and in hygienic surroundings.  That can be done in less plush surroundings. 

As usual, it is the front line staff who make the thing work, not the installers of skirting boarded cubicles. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Apple said:

Costs don't come into it. There are many people who are now reassured they and / or their family are as well protected as they can be and it will get better with time.

Costs shouldn't come into it but money should be spent wisely. I'm sure the money could be spent more usefully elsewhere in the DHSC. The set up at Ronaldsway is over the top for what is required.   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Also, given the actual volume of vaccination we have it would appear and delay didnt really set us back any material time frame.

Wasn't there a point last week where we had 11,000 doses in storage and hubs still being built?

This is the same DHSS going against the rest of the world and building mega posh facilities who last March were turning people away from their facilities and make them self inject B12 in their own bedrooms.

Both are injections into the upper arm so surely hygiene concerns are the same.

I understand the recovery time and paperwork but can't see any justification for the cost and the delays when elsewhere are just using sports halls, tents, and carparks.

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Costs shouldn't come into it but money should be spent wisely. I'm sure the money could be spent more usefully elsewhere in the DHSC. The set up at Ronaldsway is over the top for what is required.   

I see Richmond Hill is in need of repairs.

Don't we deserve the best we can get?😃 

However I was one of the first to moan about making older people stand outside like they did. That was down to poor planning and that point was well and truly made on here.

However, the word coming from the UK is that the next budget will set out spending for the next 10 years and will involve money for public / private investments, public services development and improving social circumstances for less fortunate. I think the IOM will  be following this course as well.

The economic damage caused by the virus will not be "repaired" by austerity, but by a sustained higher spending programme targeted at improving business environments and giving people more of their own money to spend.

Probably subject for another thread.?

15 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Costs shouldn't come into it but money should be spent wisely. I'm sure the money could be spent more usefully elsewhere in the DHSC.

I agree, but whilst we have those who cannot see how that comes across to the public, and not just spending by the DHSC but all Gov Departments, then we. will continue to experience 'waste of money' projects.

7 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

This is the same DHSS going against the rest of the world and building mega posh facilities who last March were turning people away from their facilities and make them self inject B12 in their own bedrooms.

In all truth I am not aware of that, but if that happened then it should be be investigated. There are probably some circumstances where it is appropriate but there are some where it is surely not. Horrible injection.

22 minutes ago, Apple said:

I agree, but whilst we have those who cannot see how that comes across to the public, and not just spending by the DHSC but all Gov Departments, then we. will continue to experience 'waste of money' projects.

In all truth I am not aware of that, but if that happened then it should be be investigated. There are probably some circumstances where it is appropriate but there are some where it is surely not. Horrible injection.

I have no problem with the practice nurse at Castletown Surgery injecting my B12 as and when prescribed by doctor. 

• Like 1