Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Not sure what you mean. Its Astra Zeneca saying its no good for the SA variant, not the South Africans

AZ is not saying that at all. The South Africans have halted the AZ roll out because they say in a trial of 2,000 people (with an average age of 31) the vaccine provided "minimal protection" against mild and moderate cases.

The original COVID in UK is still the most prevalent virus, the SA variant is circulating but not, it would appear, in huge numbers yet so the AZ vaccine will still work. Having said that no vaccine has 100% efficacy anyway. 

Read this all the way through (not just the headlines) to find out what AZ and PHE have to say: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55921815

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

No I wouldn't agree. We have no cases to test. It would be a waste of a laboratory, they would be sat twiddling their thumbs

You don't need a separate laboratory, we already have one in Onchan.  Which is already quite busy sequencing other things, so thumbs would be untwiddled.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Not sure what you mean. Its Astra Zeneca saying its no good for the SA variant, not the South Africans

Actually it's both.  The press release from Oxford released yesterday morning was fairly scanty on detail and even the pre-print doesn't seem to have appeared as yet.  There was actually more detail in the SA press conference (summarised in this Twitter thread).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

AZ is not saying that at all. The South Africans have halted the AZ roll out because they say in a trial of 2,000 people (with an average age of 31) the vaccine provided "minimal protection" against mild and moderate cases.

I think you will find they are. It was their trial

An AstraZeneca spokesman said: 'In this small phase I/II trial, early data has shown limited efficacy against mild disease primarily due to the B.1.351 South African variant.

22 hours ago, wrighty said:

We know that you’re less likely to die from being vaccinated for covid than from getting covid. So you and the others are wrong in your views. 

Ah the old trust me I’m a doctor angle. None of us really know , you may be more right but when this all pans out you may not be. Who knows. 

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

I was listening to Manx Radio Mannin Line today. There's a chap called Howard who often calls in and is quite a sharp cookie when it comes to Government, and he is never afraid to criticize.

However, today he was on the Mannin LIne and was all woozie and jolly hockey sticks about the vaccination centre  at the Airport. He was full of compliments. Not one word about the unnecessary cost of the temporary structures etc.

Maybe the vaccination includes a special serum that makes cynics comply and obey? He did say they made a big thing about checking who he was.

Well, with Howard vaccinated and neutered, I reckon Mannin Line will now be just the usual old ladies purring for Andy with nothing but unfettered praise for the Island. 

Howard proffers an opinion on every Mannin Line.  Sometimes I agree, sometimes, more often, I do not.  He was full of praise for the "girls", quickly corrected to "and boys", down there.   He offered no view on whether the facility was worth it, just that, as ever, the front line staff were doing a great job and whoever devised the process should be moved to sort out other problem areas. 

I think much of it is down to being grateful to have the vaccinisation (quote from MR this evening) which is entirely understandable and we will hear more of the same. Which is fine, but don't expect Howard et al to give an insightful opinion on a truly wasteful project.  The physical surroundings are completely separate to the delivery.

• Like 7

On 24/11/2020 at 5:31 PM, Nom de plume said:

How many over 65's do we have on the Isle of Man? I'm going to hazard a guess - 15 to 20k.

About two weeks work to vaccinate them all.

All on HQ & DA now to get the drugs here and set to work. 

The TT is saved (albeit revised dates in August) & life can finally move on.

https://www.indexmundi.com/isle_of_man/age_structure.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Can someone more learned than I (not difficult) tell me how many +50 year olds reside on our Island?

Is there a resource somewhere where one might glean such demographics?

You can use the 2016 census for an approximation...search for PDF, there is a table by age.

• Like 1

Approximately 35,000 +50 year olds (give or take).

They’ve managed 9,500 first dose vaccinations in just over a month encountering initial supply & set up issues.

Looks like all +50’s could actually be vaxed by Easter. 

Fair play to DA & Co.

Hopefully the questions can now start to emerge over what happens next ....

43 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Approximately 35,000 +50 year olds (give or take).

They’ve managed 9,500 first dose vaccinations in just over a month encountering initial supply & set up issues.

Looks like all +50’s could actually be vaxed by Easter. 

Fair play to DA & Co.

Hopefully the questions can now start to emerge over what happens next ....

Correct. However, the very elderly and care homes offer real problems in deployment. Now that they are pretty much done, the 50-75 range should be much easier to vaccinate.