Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

28 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

How can it be ‘not checked thoroughly’? It is a licensed medicine. It had to go through the same scrutiny as any other vaccine- they just put a lot more effort into it!

during the Falklands War, an air refueling solution was engineered for the Nimrod in under a fortnight. In peacetime that would have taken 2-3 years

necessity is the mother of all invention.

There are already vaccines. Necessity in this case is to have a home grown one.

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Taken from the ONS website just now.

90% of all Covid deaths within the United Kingdom were aged over 65.

Vaccinate that age group and we are good to go go baby.

You don't actually understand how vaccination works or what it is meant to do.  It's not about protecting the individual, it's about protecting the population as a whole.  Because no vaccine works 100%, you need a high percentage of the population to get vaccinated to protect the vulnerable, you prioritise those but (nearly) everyone needs to take it.  You can get away with a small proportion who can't take it or whom it turns out not to protect (this is what the famous herd immunity is all about), but it needs to be pretty near everyone. 

You've also missed my point about ICUs.  If they are full with patients suffering from Covid then they can't be treating anyone else and those patients will die.  Patients under 65 may be more likely to survive but they will be taking up space in ICUs for a long time (most elderly patients don't even get into ICU as younger ones will get priority).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You don't actually understand how vaccination works or what it is meant to do.  It's not about protecting the individual, it's about protecting the population as a whole.  Because no vaccine works 100%, you need a high percentage of the population to get vaccinated to protect the vulnerable, you prioritise those but (nearly) everyone needs to take it.  You can get away with a small proportion who can't take it or whom it turns out not to protect (this is what the famous herd immunity is all about), but it needs to be pretty near everyone. 

You've also missed my point about ICUs.  If they are full with patients suffering from Covid then they can't be treating anyone else and those patients will die.  Patients under 65 may be more likely to survive but they will be taking up space in ICUs for a long time (most elderly patients don't even get into ICU as younger ones will get priority).

I stand corrected.

• Like 2

I will have it, not because I fear Covid, but because it will help towards the general protection of the population.   

Everyone quotes thalidomide* as a reason not to, but that was a drug, not a vaccine.  Are there any vaccines that have proved to cause more health issues than they solved?  

* I believe thalidomide was effectively used in multiple health treatments, including cancer.  But it was its use to treat morning sickness that caused the dreadful outcomes with which we are all familiar. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I won't have the vaccine unless it's mandatory for travel. I would imagine that the uptake of those desperate for it and those who would begrudgingly have would be easily enough to achieve herd immunity thus allowing those who definitely don't want it to choose not to have it without having a detrimental affect on those whom have had the vaccine.

I am not in a hurry to have it as I do not feel that I am at particular risk, however if pushed through travel requirements etc. I will happily take it. I am not concerned about any particular health issues regarding the vaccine, as I suspect we all ingest far more toxic material in the course of our daily lives e.g. through junk food, alcohol, smoking, vaping, pollution, e numbers etc, etc. It will just be nice to hear about something else on the news.. 

55 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'm not partaking in the first batch. I expect it will be a little like el teapots cherry brandy. I shall wait for the third distillation at least, until a few of the rough edges have been ironed out, technically speaking.

Hey, if the vaccine is as effective as that stuff then we're all saved. Or screwed.

• Haha 2

I am not happy about having a vaccine for something that I am not sure justifies it for my own health, but if it means I could go somewhere I want to go, rather than sit at home for another year (when the number of available years gets ever shorter), I will probably take my place in the queue.

Edited by joebean
typo
  • Like 1