Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

I think it true to say that they have not followed up on the number of people who have volunteered, free or otherwise to provide extra staffing. Whether there are implications in doing so I don't know, but surely if hubs are closed because of days off etc, volunteers would have made sense. The UK appears to be embracing offers of help from wherever it comes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I wasn’t commenting on staff days off. Just reporting the facts.

as for your comment, Neither do I. But it’s 3 days closed, not 1. And I don’t think they’ll individually  be working 7 days. They’ll have a rota and shift patterns and days off.

Its stop start, again. On a £200k ( allegedly)  facility

This is the annoying thing. Whether there is a reluctance to use volunteers to do the vaccinations to support running the hubs I don't know but i don't think it is beyond the wit of man to be able to double our current rate. My greatest fear at the moment is that the Govt. will get cold feet  over the blood clot hysteria and suspend AZ usage taking us back to a snail's pace of vaccination.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

My greatest fear at the moment is that the Govt. will get cold feet  over the blood clot hysteria and suspend AZ usage taking us back to a snail's pace of vaccination.

They will follow the UK...and the UK see no risk...as I suspect the rest of Europe will announce today.

However, if Europe pause longer, that will possibly mean more supplies for us in the short term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

My greatest fear at the moment is that the Govt. will get cold feet  over the blood clot hysteria and suspend AZ usage taking us back to a snail's pace of vaccination.

What's being said on FB? I rarely go there but apparently many here do. Is there a local hue and cry over safety concerns?

It is an election year after all. 

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I'm due to have it tomorrow. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have concerns. I'd only just made my mind up to have the damn thing and now this. I've sent myself into news blackout for my well-being, so I've no idea what's being said other than on here.  What's the deal? In brief?

Norway, Italy, Ireland and Germany have suspended administering AZ vaccinations over fears of blood clotting issues.

The World Health Org. are meeting on Tuesday to review the jab. Both the UK regulator and the WHO say that there is presently no evidence of a link (source BBC News).

Edited by Non-Believer
correction
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

This is the annoying thing. Whether there is a reluctance to use volunteers to do the vaccinations to support running the hubs I don't know but i don't think it is beyond the wit of man to be able to double our current rate. My greatest fear at the moment is that the Govt. will get cold feet  over the blood clot hysteria and suspend AZ usage taking us back to a snail's pace of vaccination.

No they won't get cold feet.  Certainly  not unless the UK does.

47 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I'm due to have it tomorrow. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have concerns. I'd only just made my mind up to have the damn thing and now this. I've sent myself into news blackout for my well-being, so I've no idea what's being said other than on here.  What's the deal? In brief?

You wouldn't be in a news blackout if you read what was said on here:thumbsup:

52 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Mrs Duck has had it in the UK AS SHE IS PART OF AN ARMY OF VOLUNTEERS WORKING IN VACCINATION STATIONS TO GET THIS THIG OVER AND DONE! (apologies for the Tourette's esque rant there) it made her a bit fluey for a couple of days that's all. Crack on and make yourself safe. It's the right thing to do.

• Like 3

The doc they trot out on ITV (can't remember his name) just told Lorraine that the number of people in Europe who had blood clots after having the vaccine (30) represents a lower incident rate than they normally see in the general population from the usual causes. I posted some information on blood clots yesterday. 

57 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can’t see how a vaccine that is similar in construction to other vaccines causes thrombosis. The reports of the numbers seem to suggest a rate no higher than the background rate. I know @Albert Tatlocksuggested air bubbles as a mechanism but that makes no sense (air embolus is a totally different thing, and air itself would not cause a distant thrombosis). 

My only thought is on timing.  You’re vaccinating people who may have literally been sitting in front of the TV for a year, who get up for the first time to go out. Immobility predisposes to thrombosis (see Virchow’s Triad for the other two causes) and it might be this sudden burst of activity that causes the clot to present itself. 

I have no doubts that the vaccine itself is safe and largely effective. I posted ages ago that there will be reports of people dying within days of having it.  I think this is akin to that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I can’t see how a vaccine that is similar in construction to other vaccines causes thrombosis. The reports of the numbers seem to suggest a rate no higher than the background rate. I know @Albert Tatlocksuggested air bubbles as a mechanism but that makes no sense (air embolus is a totally different thing, and air itself would not cause a distant thrombosis). 

My only thought is on timing.  You’re vaccinating people who may have literally been sitting in front of the TV for a year, who get up for the first time to go out. Immobility predisposes to thrombosis (see Virchow’s Triad for the other two causes) and it might be this sudden burst of activity that causes the clot to present itself. 

I have no doubts that the vaccine itself is safe and largely effective. I posted ages ago that there will be reports of people dying within days of having it.  I think this is akin to that.

This^

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Plus of course its very moreish.:D