Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

But shirley they would have to have a vote first?

Yes it would have needed 16 members to agree.  I suspect enough Keys members thought that what they were doing (examining legislation that affects people's daily lives) was more important than giving Quayle another ego-boost.  They must also have been annoyed by the poor scheduling of the media briefing or the assumption that they would rush their business through to suit poorly managed government PR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes it would have needed 16 members to agree.  I suspect enough Keys members thought that what they were doing (examining legislation that affects people's daily lives) was more important than giving Quayle another ego-boost.  They must also have been annoyed by the poor scheduling of the media briefing or the assumption that they would rush their business through to suit poorly managed government PR.

I'm inclined to think that they were thinking more about getting into their respective kitchens and getting dinner on the go.

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm inclined to think that they were thinking more about getting into their respective kitchens and getting dinner on the go.

They didn't actually finish till 8:28 pm, so I reckon it would have been burnt anyway.  It was all done remotely, so I suppose they could have been taking the odd bite between speeches, though they did break for ten minutes at ten to six.

They made Ashford wait right till the end to apologise.  The person who died had just received the vaccine, though the death seems to have been unconnected; the victim of anaphylaxis did recover.  If you listen to the whole thing, Ashford actually came out with the dubious information completely unprompted to a supplementary about blood clots, presumably so he could sound important.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:59 PM, John Wright said:

After the mess he’s made with announcements today DA should resign.

I saw this earlier and decided to give it some thought and I tend to agree. There was no need to make any comment about  this in HoK, not that that is the place to make announcements of this sort anyway. 

Circumstances surrounding deaths are for the coroner to determine and make announcements on, not politicians. The whole episode is unnecessary, may have caused distress to families and also increased concerns about having vaccinations to members of the public.

Wherever the miscommunication arose DA should have avoided making the announcement in the first place. 

For the next phase of managing the virus a new set of eyes could in my view prove beneficial both to DA himself and for the island. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Apple said:

I saw this earlier and decided to give it some thought and I tend to agree. There was no need to make any comment about  this in HoK, not that that is the place to make announcements of this sort anyway. 

Circumstances surrounding deaths are for the coroner to determine and make announcements on, not politicians. The whole episode is unnecessary, may have caused distress to families and also increased concerns about having vaccinations to members of the public.

Wherever the miscommunication arose DA should have avoided making the announcement in the first place. 

For the next phase of managing the virus a new set of eyes could in my view prove beneficial both to DA himself and for the island. 

100%.  But who gave him the information and who did he consult with before delivering this hugely important development?

Along with all the other 'misunderstandings',  we really do need a reckoning.  It isn't enough to harp back to our relative normality last year, that should have been a breathing space to develop good processes, but it was ignored. 

It is new ground and we can expect mistakes, what I cannot accept is arrogance, lack of transparency and the refusal to listen to people with an informed view. 

So on the list of accounts outstanding,  I have:-

The RG rebuttal

The SP report

The Abbotswood inquiry

The anaphylaxis death 

The schools open/shut at the beginning of March

The letter

The about face decision on not testing 

There are probably more, but that will do for starters.

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Apple said:

This dreadful failure simply adds to the increasing weight of evidence that Ashford is just as egotistical and yet bumbling as his ‘leader’.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

This dreadful failure simply adds to the increasing weight of evidence that Ashford is just as egotistical and yet bumbling as his ‘leader’.

It is worse than that because DA always comes across as well briefed and knowledgeable.  If he was bumbling, you would start to wonder if he knows what he is talking about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It is worse than that because DA always comes across as well briefed and knowledgeable.  If he was bumbling, you would start to wonder if he knows what he is talking about. 

I guess so Glad - let us say then that Ashford’s apparent competence looks increasingly to be a chimera. I also agree with John Wright that the awful mess over the (not an) anaphylactic death was a resigning matter, but integrity has long since flown the political nest over here. The original Glover letter incident revealed Ashford to be petty and spiteful, its hurried destruction as the bite-back emerged revealed him to be a coward, and the anaphylaxis debacle reveals him to be a fool. Are you watching North Douglas?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I guess so Glad - let us say then that Ashford’s apparent competence looks increasingly to be a chimera. I also agree with John Wright that the awful mess over the (not an) anaphylactic death was a resigning matter, but integrity has long since flown the political nest over here. The original Glover letter incident revealed Ashford to be petty and spiteful, its hurried destruction as the bite-back emerged revealed him to be a coward, and the anaphylaxis debacle reveals him to be a fool. Are you watching North Douglas?

I am in North Douglas, so will be watching the GE with interest.  If he gets back in, it will confirm that the general populace are either stupid or complacent.

I wonder if we had a party political system, whether that  would make resignation more likely.  The way things are, only HQ would put pressure on him to resign and that's not likely is it? 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am in North Douglas, so will be watching the GE with interest.  If he gets back in, it will confirm that the general populace are either stupid or complacent.

I wonder if we had a party political system, whether that  would make resignation more likely.  The way things are, only HQ would put pressure on him to resign and that's not likely is it? 

So - not much point in DA knocking on your door to solicit your vote, then, Glad?

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That’s just the kind of logic used by Remainers in the Brexit debate.

Come on Gladys we know you’re better than that.