Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

54 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In fact there were a whole series of national lockdowns in India in 2020 as well as regional ones.  A cynic might say that now the well-off have been vaccinated they are demanding that everyone else get back to work, so as to make them more money.

But it’s the well off that are unable to get into overflowing hospitals. The poor don’t even get as far as testing and certainly don’t get counted in the official stats. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

But it’s the well off that are unable to get into overflowing hospitals. The poor don’t even get as far as testing and certainly don’t get counted in the official stats. 

Oh quite!  But you see this sort of thinking in every epidemic - not just in India and not just in modern times.  Those in charge and their supporters convince themselves that their actions or inaction won't affect 'People Like Us'.  Until it does.  Think how nothing was done about the state of the Thames and related cholera epidemics until the Houses of Parliament were practically shut down by the Great Stink

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I overheard an interesting conversation today whilst out and about, a lady was most aghast about the "indoctrination of her child".

They dared to teach them in school about the history of vaccines. There was some waffle about it influencing the collective knowledge etc. But quite simply, she wanted to know "how dare they spread this propaganda"?

How have we reverted to medicine being again analogous to witchcraft? I get the feeling that living memory of the worst of them is dying out, and that's acting as a catalyst for anti-vaxxers.

• Thanks 3

So, Ashy said a few weeks ago that from Monday this week (10/5) second jabs were going to be ramped up. Looking at the dashboard, they did around 750 on Monday (nearly all first jabs), 550 on Tuesday (nearly all first jabs) none on Wednesday, none on Thursday and none today.

Does anyone know why they have stopped the vaccination program? 

44 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Does anyone know why they have stopped the vaccination program? 

It's because they need to build up stocks (and I suspect give staff time off) before they start to administer all the second doses due for those who got the first one 10 weeks ago and after.  Only about 40% of the 70-74 cohort have been fully vaccinated but most of the rest are booked in to get them in the next 7 days. 

They did warn that this would happen and that anyone who hadn't had the first jab by 10 May would be unlikely to get one till I think July.  One of the problems with separating the vaccinations to the maximum time is that this sort of thing is bound to happen and there's very little room for manoeuvre.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's because they need to build up stocks (and I suspect give staff time off) before they start to administer all the second doses due for those who got the first one 10 weeks ago and after.  Only about 40% of the 70-74 cohort have been fully vaccinated but most of the rest are booked in to get them in the next 7 days. 

They did warn that this would happen and that anyone who hadn't had the first jab by 10 May would be unlikely to get one till I think July.  One of the problems with separating the vaccinations to the maximum time is that this sort of thing is bound to happen and there's very little room for manoeuvre.

There’s c10000 jabs in stock as of yesterday update so no reason they can’t be doing some this week 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s c10000 jabs in stock as of yesterday update so no reason they can’t be doing some this week 

But they've got over 4000 booked in the next 7 days and nearly 8000 the week after that.  These will nearly all be people who are over 64 or otherwise vulnerable.  So they need a good supply (which I suspect they haven't been getting[1]) or people may need to start the vaccination programme again.

[1]  They've only done 4323 jabs in the last two weeks and I would have expected stocks to be higher.

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But they've got over 4000 booked in the next 7 days and nearly 8000 the week after that.  These will nearly all be people who are over 64 or otherwise vulnerable.  So they need a good supply (which I suspect they haven't been getting[1]) or people may need to start the vaccination programme again.

[1]  They've only done 4323 jabs in the last two weeks and I would have expected stocks to be higher.

It’s all second shots at the 10/12 week interval (depending on when first shots were given ) so the booking pattern relates back to what numbers were given shots 10/12 weeks ago and allocated their second shot appointment.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s all second shots at the 10/12 week interval (depending on when first shots were given ) so the booking pattern relates back to what numbers were given shots 10/12 weeks ago and allocated their second shot appointment.

Yes that's the point I was trying to make.  These are the second jabs for the people who got their first from 8 March onwards (which is ten weeks on next Monday).  This is the increase you see in the graph where the number of daily vaccinations went over 1000 and stayed like that:

image.png.0fcac165a47581884955a097beae9c9d.png

It means that the overwhelming majority of the available vaccine over the next two months will have to be directed to second doses for those people - and I think it will be fairly tight. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes that's the point I was trying to make.  These are the second jabs for the people who got their first from 8 March onwards (which is ten weeks on next Monday).  This is the increase you see in the graph where the number of daily vaccinations went over 1000 and stayed like that:

image.png.0fcac165a47581884955a097beae9c9d.png

It means that the overwhelming majority of the available vaccine over the next two months will have to be directed to second doses for those people - and I think it will be fairly tight. 

Remember at that stage second doses were also being administered for people vaccinated in January/February, so that peak is a combination of 1st and second doses

As there has been no briefing for a couple of weeks there has been no opportunity to illicit an update on covid and vaccinations.  A simple clarification of where the programme is up to and whether the Moderna jab is coming on line would be nice.  Mind you I guess Ashford has had other matters on his mind.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Remember at that stage second doses were also being administered for people vaccinated in January/February, so that peak is a combination of 1st and second doses

I was looking more at the increase, the point is that because they cranked up the programme so much from 8 March there has to be a corresponding increase now.  16,878 first doses were given in the three weeks from 8 March, but only 5966 second ones.

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was looking more at the increase, the point is that because they cranked up the programme so much from 8 March there has to be a corresponding increase now.  16,878 first doses were given in the three weeks from 8 March, but only 5966 second ones.

So they have to hit 5626 a week for 3 weeks

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

So they have to hit 5626 a week for 3 weeks

Hope Ashie is ready to accelerate as UK are!!

Boris Johnson says the government will accelerate remaining second doses to the over 50s and those who are vulnerable in England so they are eight weeks apart.