Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596

I’ve a cousin who lives in Hampshire. He had his second shot yesterday. He’s 57. The lady who administered the vaccine told him they had been given extra doses because the Indian variant was on their area. I was told by a nurse at Nobles that one of the active cases here is the Indian variant also. Perhaps that’s why we’ve been given additional doses. then again, perhaps not. Who knows ! 

Interesting

Well whether we have extra doses or not we certainly ain't using them and I know I keep banging on.....but this is going to come back and haunt us.

13056 in stock. 13056 that could be in people arms and making them safe.

We are told that we need to have reserves for 2nd Jab bookings. Surely to goodness it's better that they are used for those 2nd jabs now rather than sitting waiting.

No moderna jabs given. Not sure if these are counted as part of the in stock or not.

We have now managed an impressive number of 9 second jabs in the 55 to 60 category Vs Jersey who have done 6626.

Something is not adding up.

They have also done 4908, 2893 and 1787 in the next 3 groups down vs ours being practically zero.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting

Well whether we have extra doses or not we certainly ain't using them and I know I keep banging on.....but this is going to come back and haunt us.

13056 in stock. 13056 that could be in people arms and making them safe.

We are told that we need to have reserves for 2nd Jab bookings. Surely to goodness it's better that they are used for those 2nd jabs now rather than sitting waiting.

No moderna jabs given. Not sure if these are counted as part of the in stock or not.

We have now managed an impressive number of 9 second jabs in the 55 to 60 category Vs Jersey who have done 6626.

They have also done 4908, 2893 and 1787 in the next 3 groups down vs ours being practically zero.

Well I’m not due my second until 23 June. Are you suggesting they ignore the suggested gap between the two? 

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

Well I’m not due my second until 23 June. Are you suggesting they ignore the suggested gap between the two? 

Yes. The latest JVCi recommend gap is 8 weeks. Not 12. It changed. We didn't because it's too difficult. Jersey did. Didn't see too difficult for them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting

1. Well whether we have extra doses or not we certainly ain't using them and I know I keep banging on.....but this is going to come back and haunt us.

2. 13056 in stock. 13056 that could be in people arms and making them safe.

3. We are told that we need to have reserves for 2nd Jab bookings. Surely to goodness it's better that they are used for those 2nd jabs now rather than sitting waiting.

4. No moderna jabs given. Not sure if these are counted as part of the in stock or not.

You’re getting hysterical.

1. for whatever reason in the distribution or supply chain we have no spare jabs. They’re all spoken for over next 10 days. Please explain how it’s going to come back and haunt. Emotive words, but nothing to explain how. Please explain with the stock we have you suggest we can reduce the interval to 8 weeks? And where we get the doses from. It’s just paranoia. 

2. learn to read the Dashboard. There are 10,000 doses. That’s 13,056 as at the date stated ( they don’t update daily ) less 3000 used. They are using them for the second doses over the next week/10 days. Exactly what you want. What extra do you want? You don’t explain.

3. That was true in the early days, with limited supply, low daily vaccination numbers and 3-4 weeks between doses. It hasn’t applied since early March as supply and delivery into arms ramped up, and interval increased. To do what you allege they are doing they’d have had to have been holding 45,000 second doses as at 10 May. We’ve been averaging between 1 and 2 weeks worth.

4. if we had moderna it’d be included. Is it relevant? Why? We are putting second doses into arms for the next 10 weeks. Standard advice is to deliver same 2nd dose as 1st. Moderna is only relevant when we shouldn’t be injecting AZ due to the thrombosis risk. So that’s when we start 1st dosing 20’s to 49’s again in Late July,  Then we need Pfizer and moderna stock.

• Like 1

Just now, John Wright said:

You’re getting hysterical.

1. for whatever reason in the distribution we have no spare jabs. They’re all spoken for over next 10 days. Please explain how it’s going to come back and haunt. Emotive words, but nothing to explain how. It’s just paranoia. 

2. learn to read the Dashboard. There are 10,000 doses. That’s 13,056 as at the date stated ( they don’t update daily ) less 3000 used. They are using them for the second doses over the next week/10 days. Exactly what you want. What extra do you want? You don’t explain.

3. That was true in the early days, with limited supply, low daily vaccination numbers and 3-4 weeks between doses. It hasn’t applied since early March as supply and delivery into arms ramped up, and interval increased. To do what you allege they are doing they’d have had to have been holding 45,000 second doses as at 10 May. We’ve been averaging between 1 and 2 weeks worth.

4. if we had moderna it’d be included. Is it relevant? Why? We are putting second doses into arms for the next 10 weeks. Standard advice is to deliver same 2nd dose as 1st. Moderna is only relevant when we shouldn’t be injecting AZ due to the thrombosis risk. So that’s when we start 1st dosing 20’s to 49’s again in Late July,  Then we need Pfizer and moderna stock.

I can't understand why you would have any 'in stock'.

Yes in emotive because we are walking into a situation where there will be infection in our community at a time when a large number of our populous who are vulnerable are at a stage in their immunity where the effect is starting to drop significantly. Double jeopardy. Illness and worse approaches.

Genuine question. Can you explain how Jersey are so far ahead. I just can't work it out.

Moderna is an effective vaccine and could (or could have) be being used for first doses, with a programme running in parallel.

You seem to think you expertise outweighs that of the JVCI

On getting my second dose yesterday at the Airport I asked the guy who administered it on average how many did he do in a day. Airport around 70 to 80 but in Chester street up to 240 a day . Clearly they can do far more at the Airport as a few cubicles were empty apart from the person to administer the vaccine . Very efficent again though but clearly overstaffed in most areas it seemed.

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I can't understand why you would have any 'in stock'.

Yes in emotive because we are walking into a situation where there will be infection in our community at a time when a large number of our populous who are vulnerable are at a stage in their immunity where the effect is starting to drop significantly. Double jeopardy. Illness and worse approaches.

Genuine question. Can you explain how Jersey are so far ahead. I just can't work it out.

Moderna is an effective vaccine and could (or could have) be being used for first doses, with a programme running in parallel.

You seem to think you expertise outweighs that of the JVCI

No, I don’t think my expertise outweighs JVCI. We’ve 40,000 people with 2nd dose appointments between now and end July. 10 weeks. OK, you mess with second appointments, what advantage in numbers does that bring?. Not sure Jersey allocated 2nd dates at time of first, or not. If they didn’t it’s easier to accelerate.

You have stock because this isn’t a just in time operation. We hope we get supply twice a week. But there’s no guarantee. We’ve about 85% of 20+ vaccinated. Even against Indian that gives a reasonable immunity from catching Covid  at all, but, more significantly, a very high level of the disease being asymptomatic or less serious and little or no hospitalisation or transmission. 

If we accelerate, use all stock, then there’s a supply failure we have to cancel.

The lengthening and shortening of interval, whether by JCVI or politicians, is purely political. And it’s based on all sorts of factors, supply, numbers having had first dose, profile of risk of the target community, ease of doing it.

We are in a different position to Jersey. We don’t appear to have it in the community. They have for months. The border is still restricted until at least end June.

Ive no idea how Jersey has apparently got more doses to put into arms. Is it relevant? We are looking at a difference of two weeks in July. 40,000 over 10 weeks that’s 16,000 in July and 8,000 in last 2 weeks of July. Reduce to 8 weeks it’s still 10,000 in July. So it’s only an acceleration of 4,000 after open borders, which is where the risk increases.

If we don’t have Moderna we can’t inject. If supplies of pfizer and Moderna increase then I’m sure we can restart 1st injections early.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, TheTeapot said:

Seems to have got you very concerned. Reminder - the vaccines are very effective against all known variants.

The reason Hancock kept re-interating "Get your second jab" on Andrew Marr last week is revealed:

The Pfizer and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines are highly effective against the variant identified in India after two doses, a study has found.

Two jabs of either vaccine give a similar level of protection against symptomatic disease from the Indian variant as they do for the Kent one.

However, both vaccines were only 33% effective against the Indian variant three weeks after the first dose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57214596

I wonder if they will reduce the timings between first and second jabs? Because this variant can spread a long way in twelve weeks.

Edited by P.K.
Typo

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The reason Hancock kept re-interating "Get your second jab" on Andrew Marr last week is revealed:

You're off your head PK. What do you mean 'revealed'? Everyone already knows you need two doses for full protection. 

32 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

On getting my second dose yesterday at the Airport I asked the guy who administered it on average how many did he do in a day. Airport around 70 to 80 but in Chester street up to 240 a day . Clearly they can do far more at the Airport as a few cubicles were empty apart from the person to administer the vaccine . Very efficent again though but clearly overstaffed in most areas it seemed.

I was there yesterday. Arrived 15 minutes early. 4 ahead of us.

There were only three cubicles in use. 8 empty. The cubicles in the waiting area are not used. They’ve just got chairs stacked and stored in them. Totally wasted effort building them.

I had all my paperwork ready. It still took 10 minutes from reaching the vaccination cubicle and nurse to get the injection in my arm. I’d rolled up sleeve whilst in queue. 

It wasn’t over staffed by comparison to the first dose. Very few. Only one person directing people/offering wheelchair. But in wrong place, not in car park, but just outside the terminal main doors. Neither use nor ornament.

No one in the post injection delivery area and no chairs on which to sit and wait for 15 minutes as advised.

DoI are digging up the first raised speed bump pedestrian crossing from car park to the central reservation. They’ve installed temporary loose packed tarmac ramps for wheelchairs. They’re disintegrating. Difficult to use. Too steep. On exit the yellow temporary ramps have been bolted to the pavement, so they don’t move. They were loose in March. They’re still too steep.

By the time I had finished my injection there were 30+ waiting in a snake cue. Perhaps staff were hidden away having lunch or a break. Glad I arrived when I did.

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You're off your head PK. What do you mean 'revealed'? Everyone already knows you need two doses for full protection. 

Of course they do. That's a given isn't it?

However this is the first time the first dose  actual efficacy rate has been put into the public domain. Well, I've not seen or heard it mentioned before.

Because Covid is so serious the minimum efficacy rate for use was set at 50%. For no other reason than 50% is better than nothing. Desperate times etc.

But the way Hancock was emphasising second jabs makes me think he had been given a heads up on the low rate.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Of course they do. That's a given isn't it?

However this is the first time the first dose  actual efficacy rate has been put into the public domain. Well, I've not seen or heard it mentioned before.

Because Covid is so serious the minimum efficacy rate for use was set at 50%. For no other reason than 50% is better than nothing. Desperate times etc.

But the way Hancock was emphasising second jabs makes me think he had been given a heads up on the low rate.

There are loads of efficiency studies from all over the world. And obviously lots of different interpretations. If you want to carry on scaring yourself silly then follow psychotic loons like this who'd have us all locked down for years

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1396373990986375171

but if you want something much more positive try this

although that thread is a little messier than she'd normally put out. She's had a tough week though, the science wars are hotting up.