Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

27 phone calls. Such stamina should be commended. 

May I suggest you send an email to Kathryn Magson CEO DHSC instead then. I am sure she will pass it on. Or indeed any of the new hierarchy in Manx Care like Tess Cope. Or even to the Consultant direct. In fact, email them all just in case.

Probably best not to be included in the monthly statistics for those "no shows" in Out Patients clinic. They don't like that.

Got an answer!!

The number on the letter confirming the appointment actually only got me through to main switchboard.  Should have phoned radiography apparently.

Guy offered to put me through but suggested there might be no answer as it was lunch, so gave me the right number to keep trying later when the original transfer inevitably went unanswered.

Wouldn't you put extra people, not less, on the phones over lunch time? You know, when your customers are most likely to be trying to contact you?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

JCVI are suggesting 8 weeks. the second doses booked are spread over 10 weeks from 10 May, that's why end July.

27,000 doses wont cover the 40,000 people with 2nd jabs booked. 10,000 doses, which we had yesterday, just covered existing bookings to 1 June.

Simples, yesterday we could not accelerate, for pragmatic supply reasons., today we can.   

IOM would have known the extra stocks were coming, same as Jersey.

Just needed a bit of planning, simples!

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

That's just counting chickens. They know when they're scheduled to arrive, only takes  high wind, fog, a sinking or a plane crash/Logan Air going bust.

Prudence ( who she) requires you have a few days/week in hand to deliver the ones booked. Otherwise it'll be like Tesco shelves. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

No they wouldn't, but lets not be pedantic.

Today, with 27,000 in stock, I agree that inviting people, week by week, between next week and end July to attend earlier makes sense. Until that change, it didn't. We have never had 17,000 delivered in one week, previously.

Yippee. Saved us all arguing about it. We were just saying you had a conflict of interest in that you had had your two jabs.😁

I wonder if they really will bother to do it though.

Edited by Happier diner

38 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Prudence ( who she) requires you have a few days/week in hand to deliver the ones booked. Otherwise it'll be like Tesco shelves. 

Saying that I still dont see what you are saying. The booked ones would have been honoured, just earlier. No difference at all.

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Your support for vaccine passports is insane.

Unfortunately they will be needed for foreign travel & possibly large events in UK so they will be a necessity & question is what are IOM doing about catching up with the rest of UK & CI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

But neither island would have known that much in advance I suspect.  The boost in vaccines we got over the weekend may simply be a byproduct of the UK changes.  And it might only be a temporary boost, meaning there will be less in future weeks.

Jersey's ability to reschedule may be due to how they operate this.  Judging by their website:

Second doses of the vaccine are scheduled between 4 and 12 weeks from the date you receive your first dose. 

You do not need to book an appointment for your second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. You'll receive an email or SMS with confirming the date and time of your second appointment.

If you cannot attend, call the helpline to reschedule. 

Which suggests the second dose isn't booked till after the first has been given.  Whereas in the Isle of Man both appointments are booked at the same time, before the first.  Which system is better is immaterial[1], the point it is very difficult to switch from one to the other.

[1]  For what it's worth theirs probably is but I suspect our systems might not be up to coping with the flexibility involved and it does require fewer people.

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Wouldn't you put extra people, not less, on the phones over lunch time? You know, when your customers are most likely to be trying to contact you?

But where would you get the 'extra people' from?   Do they magically turn up at the Hospital to do an hour's work and then vanish?  The DHSC's grasp on scheduling and logistics may not be great, but if people are going to criticise, some thought should be given to the practicalities of what they would like to see.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But where would you get the 'extra people' from?   Do they magically turn up at the Hospital to do an hour's work and then vanish?  The DHSC's grasp on scheduling and logistics may not be great, but if people are going to criticise, some thought should be given to the practicalities of what they would like to see.

You don't need extra people if you stagger their lunch breaks around busy times, or just employ people to man the phones, or put a queuing system in, or buy an answerphone, or develop a website.

Doesn't take much thinking through to be honest.

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Accepting this cannot be taken for granted and agreed. However is it not a fact that 

1, Ashford has said many times that supply of vaccines is the limiting factor. Maybe time to test that and 

2, Are there not days when no vaccinations are done?