Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Absolutely no problem with staff having holidays, they have been under a great deal of strain, no doubt.  Also, have no problem with not mass rearranging appointments, it will be difficult and you can imagine there will be more no shows because people forget the new date and so on.

What I do have a problem with is that we are suspending jabs just at a time when the UK is ramping up their response to the India variant (so-called because there is a country called India and when the virus mutates, it is called a variant).  Just seems counterintuitive. 

48 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's the inevitable consequence of decisions taken months ago.  Firstly moving from 10 to 12 weeks by blindly following the JCVI recommendation[1], meant that a two week gap automatically opened up.  Secondly, because they made the decision to book both appointments together and with the maximum gap, this meant rescheduling all the second ones would now need to be done if a gap was to be filled.  That's 32,000 appointments, maybe half the adult population[2].

There may be something else going on as well to do with stock levels.  Although they have about 10,000 doses in stock it could well be that most of these are Pfizer rather than AZ.  There have been over 13,500 doses given in the last three weeks (overwhelmingly second jabs) and 83% of those have been AZ. 

Again this is a consequence of decisions taken months ago to increase the gap between doses, which was first only done with the AZ vaccine.  So even if it looks as if they have enough doses for two weeks, they might not be able to vaccinate the next two weeks-worth of people due because they mostly need AZ and what they have in stock is Pfizer and maybe Moderna.  

Obviously they could still use some of those stocks to start vaccinating younger groups with their first doses, especially as Pfizer and Moderna are preferred for such groups[3].  But they have known that this gap was coming as well and it could be that they have taken the opportunity to give staff the holidays they have been due for a long time.

[1]  Which was only ever about the maximum gap allowed, not the optimal one.  What (scanty) evidence there was suggested that protection dropped after 10 weeks.

[2]  You can only imagine the chaos that would happen, and the stress on 111 and vaccination staff, if all these people were ringing up to re-book appointments or even worse just turning up on spec demanding to be vaccinated.

[3]  This is due to the blood-clotting thing with AZ, which is about about twice as likely in under-40s, though still very rare (ie 1 in 50,000 as opposed to 1 in 100,000).

How come all of our neighbours seem to be able to adjust but we cant. 

Like I said it only needs to be the ones end June and start of july. It could make the difference between borders opening or not. 

I dont think your point about the difference t jabs is right, they seem to have been administered in proportion to supply.

UK hopes to protect all over 50s with two jabs by 21 June - Zahawi

c66c761f-da47-4d87-8849-8f9be6fadce3.png

The Andrew Marr Show

Asked about the so-called Indian variant, Zahawi says the UK has "robust” travel rules and he says the UK has the “largest genome sequencing” capability in the world.

He says the UK is "in a race" to get people vaccinated but the government "hopes to be able to protect all over 50s with two doses before 21 June" - due to be the next and final step in England's lifting of lockdown

Just now, Happier diner said:

UK hopes to protect all over 50s with two jabs by 21 June - Zahawi

c66c761f-da47-4d87-8849-8f9be6fadce3.png

The Andrew Marr Show

Asked about the so-called Indian variant, Zahawi says the UK has "robust” travel rules and he says the UK has the “largest genome sequencing” capability in the world.

He says the UK is "in a race" to get people vaccinated but the government "hopes to be able to protect all over 50s with two doses before 21 June" - due to be the next and final step in England's lifting of lockdown

Thank God there is no gold medal in this race. We have given everyone 2 weeks start.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How come all of our neighbours seem to be able to adjust but we cant. 

Like I said it only needs to be the ones end June and start of july. It could make the difference between borders opening or not. 

I dont think your point about the difference t jabs is right, they seem to have been administered in proportion to supply.

Our neighbours made different decisions about things such as when vaccinations were booked, what staff to use and so on.  I'm not saying that the right decisions were made here (I was critical of some at the time) just pointing out that we are stuck with the consequences of what was decided months ago.

Even assuming that there is a supply of vaccines to cover those three weeks you want brought forward (there are over 17,000 jabs booked for them and only 10,000 currently in stock).  All that would do would be to create another two week gap immediately afterwards.  You're just shifting the problem (presumably so you can have your own second dose) not making it go away.

Vaccines may have been "administered in proportion to supply"[1] but that would have been according to what the supply was back in March/April.  That doesn't mean the supply is in the same proportions now.

[1]  I don't even think that was true - there would have been a preference to use AZ to get the numbers up because that could be given anywhere and specifically at the Airport, whereas use of Pfizer was restricted to Chester Street.

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Our neighbours made different decisions about things such as when vaccinations were booked, what staff to use and so on.  I'm not saying that the right decisions were made here (I was critical of some at the time) just pointing out that we are stuck with the consequences of what was decided months ago.

Even assuming that there is a supply of vaccines to cover those three weeks you want brought forward (there are over 17,000 jabs booked for them and only 10,000 currently in stock).  All that would do would be to create another two week gap immediately afterwards.  You're just shifting the problem (presumably so you can have your own second dose) not making it go away.

Vaccines may have been "administered in proportion to supply"[1] but that would have been according to what the supply was back in March/April.  That doesn't mean the supply is in the same proportions now.

[1]  I don't even think that was true - there would have been a preference to use AZ to get the numbers up because that could be given anywhere and specifically at the Airport, whereas use of Pfizer was restricted to Chester Street.

My own second dose is well in the timeframe so wrt to that I have no self interest. I would be happy to bring it forward but there is no need. It's the ones at the end of the month I worry about, some of whom are friends and colleagues.

However I do have a self interest in the border not opening and thus giving our hapless government an excuse to delay it indefinitely because they dont seem to get the critically of this vaccination milestone. 

You could try and fail of course, that's a risk and your quantification of that risk is correct.

But we are not going to even try and by not doing so are doomed to a failure which will effectively have been planned.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes, I’ve got all sorts of them, yellow fever, hep, all sorts. But different times, different circumstances.

The old way was for fewer travellers and from a non digital age. 

We are now looking at mass travel, huge numbers, budget airline Check-In. A QR code will do fine.

We were told we’d be on the English NHS App, our data is there. My vaccination record is there. But not the digital certificate. It’s a few lines of code and political will and determination.

The QR code bit is generated off the UK immunisation database which is separate to the uk gp health record

57 minutes ago, snowman said:

The QR code bit is generated off the UK immunisation database which is separate to the uk gp health record

But the vaccinations still appear in the immunisation part of the NHS App. Presumably the IOM has a sufficient immunisation database. Or maybe I shouldn’t presume.

It smacks, at a different level admittedly, of Ashford, when asked why Tesco priority slots weren’t available to IOM residents ( this in April 2020 ) and responding.

”Tesco haven’t asked”. It was for government to ensure we were included!

Actually, in private, he’s never done it publicly, he had to apologise to Tesco because his officials were negotiating with migrating the info.

Another example of DA foot in mouth, ill informed, comments.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But the vaccinations still appear in the immunisation part of the NHS App. Presumably the IOM has a sufficient immunisation database. Or maybe I shouldn’t presume.

I know. But my point still stands. UK have programmed the app to generate a we code directly from the immunisation database. 

The IOM isn't using the immunisation database. It's using gp records

23 minutes ago, snowman said:

I know. But my point still stands. UK have programmed the app to generate a we code directly from the immunisation database. 

The IOM isn't using the immunisation database. It's using gp records

Ashie said about 6/7 weeks ago that officials would liaise with UK to ensure we were included in a vaccine passport but nothing since! Probably get them when he issues the point by point rebuttal to Rachel ie Never!

• Haha 1