Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

I am not happy about having a vaccine for something that I am not sure justifies it for my own health, but if it means I could go somewhere I want to go, rather than sit at home for another year (when the number of available years gets ever shorter), I will probably take my place in the queue.

I have heard similar arguments - "I am not having an unproven vaccine now as I have concerns about its safety, but I will if I need it to travel".

So not worth the risk now to try to counteract the spread of symptomatic covid, but you will in a month or two to go on holiday.  If it is too dangerous now  what are you expecting to change, other than a looming holiday?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I have heard similar arguments - "I am not having an unproven vaccine now as I have concerns about its safety, but I will if I need it to travel".

So not worth the risk now to try to counteract the spread of symptomatic covid, but you will in a month or two to go on holiday.  If it is too dangerous now  what are you expecting to change, other than a looming holiday?

Yes, a holiday I am planning on going on, next year. Does this answer your question Gladys? If it helps form an opinion about my motivations, I also complied with social distancing back in Lockdown, just because I didn't know how much, if any, Covid was about and I didn't want myself and my nearest and dearest to get it, if it was. You can't shame me for being self-interested. I'm quite proud of it.

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

Yes, a holiday I am planning on going on, next year. Does this answer your question Gladys? If it helps form an opinion about my motivations, I also complied with social distancing back in Lockdown, just because I didn't know how much, if any, Covid was about and I didn't want myself and my nearest and dearest to get it, if it was. You can't shame me for being self-interested. I'm quite proud of it.

Not shaming you, just pointing out the illogicality of that approach. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

"I'm not having no vaccine, fuck knows whats in it" says Steve, 37, who has spent every weekend for the last 20 years shovelling tons of chemicals of dubious provenance up his nose.

Yes but Steve has probably been doing that because he wants to and it makes him feel good. Not in order to be delivered salvation from a virus that in all reality is highly unlikely to kill him anyway. Recreational use of substances is very different to mandatory enforcement if things going into your bloodstream. 

13 minutes ago, All Right said:

Yes but Steve has probably been doing that because he wants to and it makes him feel good. Not in order to be delivered salvation from a virus that in all reality is highly unlikely to kill him anyway. Recreational use of substances is very different to mandatory enforcement if things going into your bloodstream. 

Wow, you're a humourless sort aren't you. Just what this forum needs.

• Haha 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Wow, you're a humourless sort aren't you. Just what this forum needs.

You think. I’m happy to advocate voluntary recreational drug use over enforced vaccination with a rushed together vaccine. I’m not sure there’s a parallel between the two to be fair. Maybe we’re one step away from Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World where we’re all encouraged to take soma to feel safe and warm? 

17 minutes ago, All Right said:

If Steve is happy to shove Columbian's pubes and petrol up his nose for a few hours entertainment, but not prepared to have a thoroughly tested vaccine to safeguard the vulnerable in society, I would posit that Steve is a bell-end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, All Right said:

You think. I’m happy to advocate voluntary recreational drug use over enforced vaccination with a rushed together vaccine. I’m not sure there’s a parallel between the two to be fair. Maybe we’re one step away from Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World where we’re all encouraged to take soma to feel safe and warm? 

Who's suggesting "enforced vaccination with a rushed together vaccine"? Sounds like some words you've put together to suit your narrative rather than a presentation of the situation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

If Steve is happy to shove Columbian's pubes and petrol up his nose for a few hours entertainment, but not prepared to have a thoroughly tested vaccine to safeguard the vulnerable in society, I would posit that Steve is a bell-end.

How do you thoroughly test in six months? Genuine question when it takes several years to get stuff to market normally? As I said I’m not an anti-vaxxer but the amount of checking that must have been bypassed to get this live needs to be acknowledged. That’s all. 

Happy to be corrected, but this is a strain or mutation of a familiar virus, so it is not all new territory.  In any case a new vaccine is brought out each year for the expected strain of flu for that year.

So it is not an entirely new process or vaccine, I guess.  

It is not like a vaccine against, say, cancer which is an entirely new approach in which there is no precedent vaccine to copy and modify. 

1 minute ago, All Right said:

How do you thoroughly test in six months? Genuine question when it takes several years to get stuff to market normally? As I said I’m not an anti-vaxxer but the amount of checking that must have been bypassed to get this live needs to be acknowledged. That’s all. 

The normal development time of a vaccine isn't entirely consumed by testing. This also isn't a "new" vaccine (or at least the adenovirus one isn't), it's a tried and tested vaccine that's been modified.

The mRNA vaccines are a sort-of new concept, though they're used extensively in veterinary medicine, and they're a pretty clean way of doing things. They don't actually involve injecting you with a virus at all. Some info here, it's interesting stuff:

https://theconversation.com/how-mrna-vaccines-from-pfizer-and-moderna-work-why-theyre-a-breakthrough-and-why-they-need-to-be-kept-so-cold-150238

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1