Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Sorry to hear it thommo2010, but it'll pass. 7 hours after my first AZ jab the 36 hours of hell began. Mrs Q had 3 days of it, serious side-effects which began 9 hours after her first AZ jab. Try a combination of 1000mg of Paracetamol and 600mg of Aspirin every 4-6 hours. Plenty of fluids.

You'll be right... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asitis said:

The airport hub has been a great gig for someone ! Chester Street I could understand, still pricey but did work well, the airport a shambles from day one. How government accepted the cost is beyond me, someone must have expressed surprise surely. I guess just symptomatic of their utter contempt for taxpayers money.

Airport hub worked well but was totally over engineered and costly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, quilp said:

Pfizer vaccine efficacy down to 64% against the Delta variant although it's still effective in preventing serious illness. Some scientists advising that all over 50's in Israel have booster shots starting August. Spain and Germany mixing the vaccines...

Interesting link for those with an attention span greater than 3 minutes.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-vaccine-less-effective-against-delta-variant-eyes-third-dose/

I didn't need my attention span to last over 3 minutes as it only took a minute to read the article:D

Interesting read though. If you look at their new infections graph though they are hardly reeling under the strain, Its a big country. The dataset is small. Not sure if its good news or bad news really

image.png.3920402e460ff09e98bc8630c9b5d9e3.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I didn't need my attention span to last over 3 minutes as it only took a minute to read the article:D

Interesting read though. If you look at their new infections graph though they are hardly reeling under the strain, Its a big country. The dataset is small. Not sure if its good news or bad news really

image.png.3920402e460ff09e98bc8630c9b5d9e3.png

It's probably a reflection of Israel's vax program that they're not reeling under the strain, that people aren't getting so seriously ill. Population density too. Getting on with vaccinations being administered to 12-15 year-olds also.

Good news I'd say. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, quilp said:

Pfizer vaccine efficacy down to 64% against the Delta variant although it's still effective in preventing serious illness. Some scientists advising that all over 50's in Israel have booster shots starting August. Spain and Germany mixing the vaccines...

Interesting link for those with an attention span greater than 3 minutes.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-vaccine-less-effective-against-delta-variant-eyes-third-dose/

Israeli health officials reported that the vaccine was 93% effective in preventing hospitalisations and serious illness.

(Source sky news website in same post that cites the reduced efficacy)

Edited by snowman

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

Israeli health officials reported that the vaccine was 93% effective in preventing hospitalisations and serious illness.

(Source sky news website in same post that cites the reduced efficacy)

But even that is a drop from the figure they quote earlier for the previous month.  And what the piece doesn't say is what the 'mix' of variants is and how that affected the much bigger drop in preventing symptomatic infection.

Israeli vaccination patterns are very odd.  They reached 50% very quickly and then stopped:

image.png.d61cead7bd2a1e7d1e9903416957e11b.png

Whether this was because of a reluctance to vaccinate Arab/Muslim parts of the population or reluctance from that part of the population or (most likely) from the Ultra-Orthodox I don't know.  Demographics (both those groups skew young) may also play a part.  But it means you need to look at the country as not really typical.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But even that is a drop from the figure they quote earlier for the previous month.  And what the piece doesn't say is what the 'mix' of variants is and how that affected the much bigger drop in preventing symptomatic infection.

Israeli vaccination patterns are very odd.  They reached 50% very quickly and then stopped:

image.png.d61cead7bd2a1e7d1e9903416957e11b.png

Whether this was because of a reluctance to vaccinate Arab/Muslim parts of the population or reluctance from that part of the population or (most likely) from the Ultra-Orthodox I don't know.  Demographics (both those groups skew young) may also play a part.  But it means you need to look at the country as not really typical.

Thanks for the link.

Got to be honest I hadn’t realised that they had hit a wall with vaccination at less than 60 percent.

So tales of the best vaccinated country in the world now “struggling” are irrelevant as they didn’t do enough vaccines to really limit the spread or protect the overall population.

Gives me even greater confidence in the situation here and in the Uk

7 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

So tales of the best vaccinated country in the world now “struggling” are irrelevant as they didn’t do enough vaccines to really limit the spread or protect the overall population.

It's not quite irrelevant, just that there are particular circumstances there.  For example it means they had a very high percentage of their vaccinated who have been fully vaccinated for some time (that will change slightly now as they are starting to jab 12+).

One useful resource I found was the NY Times World Vaccination Tracker.  It still shows Israel at #7 in terms of vaccinations per head (in countries with population over 100,000).   There are actually better performers among the minnows as well such as the Seychelles and Gibraltar and indeed the Isle of Man, with 129 doses per head, though with a bigger gap than many between one dose (75%) and two (55%).

• Like 1

Vaccine. Perhaps no one will have it. The vaccine in stock figure has stood at 12,745 for 8 days. In that time 6,932 doses have been administered, there are 4,115 booked in next 7 days. Smaller margin for comfort than I thought Ashie would have liked.

If we really have drawn down all we are entitled to ( and I don’t think we have ), then we’d have been in the shit if we’d vaccinated during the two week hiatus.

I sense manipulated figures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Vaccine. Perhaps no one will have it. The vaccine in stock figure has stood at 12,745 for 8 days. In that time 6,932 doses have been administered, there are 4,115 booked in next 7 days. Smaller margin for comfort than I thought Ashie would have liked.

If we really have drawn down all we are entitled to ( and I don’t think we have ), then we’d have been in the shit if we’d vaccinated during the two week hiatus.

I sense manipulated figures.

It's a bit odd, certainly.  Again it might be made worse by shortages of particular vaccines.  Looking at the first doses given over the last few weeks (more than were planned) I'm struck by how they were mostly Moderna with some AZ, but hardly any Pfizer.  So they may be having to hoard that for second doses for those who had that as a first.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a bit odd, certainly.  Again it might be made worse by shortages of particular vaccines.  Looking at the first doses given over the last few weeks (more than were planned) I'm struck by how they were mostly Moderna with some AZ, but hardly any Pfizer.  So they may be having to hoard that for second doses for those who had that as a first.

Isn’t it more likely to be a function of they gave more first doses of AZ 12 weeks ago to the over 40’s, and they’ve been having second doses, because they were keeping pfizer then for under 40’s, so pfizer round 2 comes next. The moderna presumably has been all dose 1?

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Isn’t it more likely to be a function of they gave more first doses of AZ 12 weeks ago to the over 40’s, and they’ve been having second doses, because they were keeping pfizer then for under 40’s, so pfizer round 2 comes next. The moderna presumably has been all dose 1?

It's a sensible explanation,  but I dont understand why we are kept in the dark and have to resort to calculation and assumption.

I know the Pfizer is less available that AZ but it's not exactly scarce. 

I had the good fortune of 2 doses!