Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

32 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

In relation to the obsession over jabs and numbers available - you have to remember your audience.  Largely pensioners with fuck all better to do than have a mind working overtime on various conspiracies etc.

Speak for yourself

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

In relation to the obsession over jabs and numbers available - you have to remember your audience.  Largely pensioners with fuck all better to do than have a mind working overtime on various conspiracies etc.

Leave Manx Furums contributors out of it! 

• Haha 1

This is a re-post from the 'IOM Covid removing restrictions' thread because of the relevance also to this thread's topic:

Am I in a miniscule minority who thinks very contemptuously about our DHSC Minister?

Top World Class Qualified Pandemic Expert David Ashford MBE's Press Release last Friday said that there was no need for anyone here to be concerned about the three Astra Zeneca Batches which have been banned by Malta and others as they are not yet EU approved. He specifically said that no-one has any reason to worry as none of those three batches had been received in the Isle of Man. See: https://covid19.gov.im/news-releases-statements/no-covishield-vaccines-administered-in-the-isle-of-man/

I quote ''Minister for Health and Social Care, David Ashford MHK, said: ''As no Covishield branded vaccines have been administered here in the Isle of Man, there is no need for the public to be concerned about any EU travel implications.''

He surely knew, and he certainly ought to have known, his facts properly about this and he was quite simply and obviously completely misleading and wrong. There were in fact OVER FIVE MILLION DOSES of vaccine received by the UK which bear these batch nos. As the island gets 0.13% of all vaccine doses received by the UK then the IOM will have received and used around 6500 doses of those with the same three batch numbers received and administered here. no-one should be in any doubt about that despite 'Doctor' Ashford MBE's unqualified total assurances to the contrary.

There is no suggestion that this vaccine is substandard. The issue is that the EMA has not authorised it because the Indian manufacturers are yet to seek a licence to use it in Europe. That is causing travel problems with some countries already including Malta. 

I feel strongly that Top World Class Qualified Pandemic Expert David Ashford MBE yet again owes everyone a big apology.

Meantime, if you have had one or two Oxford / AstraZeneca jabs and wish to check your vaccination card to see if you had any from the relevant batch numbers which should be written or stamped on the vaccine card you received at your first appointment, the relevant numbers of the affected batches are as follows: 4120Z001 and 4120Z002 and 4120Z003.

I have been astonished throughout these last 16 months at the permanent Teflon coated widespread popularity of Top World Class Qualified Pandemic Expert David Ashford MBE which I consider to be wholly misplaced.

I have no idea why he is so popular in the face of his Great Shredding Incident after seeming to do his very best to discredit and undermine the island's own world class Genomics expert Rachel Glover and  thereafter in that sort of vein. Not to mention also: the long-time lack of testing here, the wholly inadequate testing after they did eventually start to do some testing, the appalling lack of, and much later glacially slow, expensive Genomic Sequencing when our world-class expert Manxwoman Dr Glover consistently offered 24 hour turnarounds and to do so free of charge for many months only to be completely ignored, the obscenity of the needlessly delayed late Vaccine roll-outs from receipt of the first vaccines around mid December until after the DHSC's holidays were over in January, his forced apology to  the House of Keys on 15 April after he gave the House of Keys completely wrong information about a Covid19 vaccine related death, his ridiculous and unique two week ''holiday' pause in June (''they need and deserve a holiday'') despite plenty of volunteer jabbers being available at that ongoing most critical juncture which further endangered the population needlessly while at the same time opening up the borders etc etc etc etc.

Did ''Minister Dr Top Class Pandemic Expert'' Ashford MBE really totally fail to understand that this has been, and remains, a race between vaccinations and infections.....

All absolutely astonishing. The Isle of Man. Where seemingly you can fool almost all of the people all of the time... 

Am I the only one who thinks very contemptuously about our DHSC Minister?

Edited by Cassie2

22 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Actually if there's one thing that unites nearly all MF commenters it's a contempt for Ashford - not just on this topic but a range of others.  But we are the people who are paying a bit more attention to what he actually says and does, and many other people aren't.

It's not helped by a local media that is too willing to accept what they are told rather than query whether it is accurate and comprehensive. or try to find out independently what the situation is.  But that tends to be the same in the UK nowadays (with much less excuse than here).  It was noticeable that when I was trying to find out what the situation was with the Indian batches, following on from Ashford nonsensical letter, I ended up only using non-UK sources of information - I couldn't find anything in the UK media that wasn't simply regurgitation of the same incorrect original stories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cassie2 said:

This is a re-post from the 'IOM Covid removing restrictions' thread because of the relevance also to this thread's topic:

Am I in a miniscule minority who thinks very contemptuously about our DHSC Minister?

Top World Class Qualified Pandemic Expert David Ashford MBE's Press Release last Friday said that there was no need for anyone here to be concerned about the three Astra Zeneca Batches which have been banned by Malta and others as they are not yet EU approved. He specifically said that no-one has any reason to worry as none of those three batches had been received in the Isle of Man. See: https://covid19.gov.im/news-releases-statements/no-covishield-vaccines-administered-in-the-isle-of-man/

I quote ''Minister for Health and Social Care, David Ashford MHK, said: ''As no Covishield branded vaccines have been administered here in the Isle of Man, there is no need for the public to be concerned about any EU travel implications.''

He surely knew, and he certainly ought to have known, his facts properly about this and he was quite simply and obviously completely misleading and wrong. There were in fact OVER FIVE MILLION DOSES of vaccine received by the UK which bear these batch nos. As the island gets 0.13% of all vaccine doses received by the UK then the IOM will have received and used around 6500 doses of those with the same three batch numbers received and administered here. no-one should be in any doubt about that despite 'Doctor' Ashford MBE's unqualified total assurances to the contrary.

There is no suggestion that this vaccine is substandard. The issue is that the EMA has not authorised it because the Indian manufacturers are yet to seek a licence to use it in Europe. That is causing travel problems with some countries already including Malta. 

I feel strongly that Top World Class Qualified Pandemic Expert David Ashford MBE yet again owes everyone a big apology.

Meantime, if you have had one or two Oxford / AstraZeneca jabs and wish to check your vaccination card to see if you had any from the relevant batch numbers which should be written or stamped on the vaccine card you received at your first appointment, the relevant numbers of the affected batches are as follows: 4120Z001 and 4120Z002 and 4120Z003.

I have been astonished throughout these last 16 months at the permanent Teflon coated widespread popularity of Top World Class Qualified Pandemic Expert David Ashford MBE which I consider to be wholly misplaced.

I have no idea why he is so popular in the face of his Great Shredding Incident after seeming to do his very best to discredit and undermine the island's own world class Genomics expert Rachel Glover and  thereafter in that sort of vein. Not to mention also: the long-time lack of testing here, the wholly inadequate testing after they did eventually start to do some testing, the appalling lack of, and much later glacially slow, expensive Genomic Sequencing when our world-class expert Manxwoman Dr Glover consistently offered 24 hour turnarounds and to do so free of charge for many months only to be completely ignored, the obscenity of the needlessly delayed late Vaccine roll-outs from receipt of the first vaccines around mid December until after the DHSC's holidays were over in January, his forced apology to  the House of Keys on 15 April after he gave the House of Keys completely wrong information about a Covid19 vaccine related death, his ridiculous and unique two week ''holiday' pause in June (''they need and deserve a holiday'') despite plenty of volunteer jabbers being available at that ongoing most critical juncture which further endangered the population needlessly while at the same time opening up the borders etc etc etc etc.

Did ''Minister Dr Top Class Pandemic Expert'' Ashford MBE really totally fail to understand that this has been, and remains, a race between vaccinations and infections.....

All absolutely astonishing. The Isle of Man. Where seemingly you can fool almost all of the people all of the time... 

I don't think contemptuously about him. That's a bit strong. He has good points and bad points. He has made some errors of judgement. However I would say I find him a little irritating and he has lost his initial humbles and likeability. He is now trying to get it back by saying " Remember I am just a layman" before then giving a medical/scientific view.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually if there's one thing that unites nearly all MF commenters it's a contempt for Ashford - not just on this topic but a range of others.  But we are the people who are paying a bit more attention to what he actually says and does, and many other people aren't.

It's not helped by a local media that is too willing to accept what they are told rather than query whether it is accurate and comprehensive. or try to find out independently what the situation is.  But that tends to be the same in the UK nowadays (with much less excuse than here).  It was noticeable that when I was trying to find out what the situation was with the Indian batches, following on from Ashford nonsensical letter, I ended up only using non-UK sources of information - I couldn't find anything in the UK media that wasn't simply regurgitation of the same incorrect original stories.

UPDATE: The #Maltese authorities have amended their travel advice so anyone who has an OXFORD AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK (regardless of manufacture location) is able to travel without being turned away - with all vaccines having gone through rigorous safety and quality checks.

If I were travelling to Malta or anywhere else I would independently verify the above

45 minutes ago, snowman said:

If I were travelling to Malta or anywhere else I would independently verify the above

Yes the relevant information hasn't changed on the Malta website that I can see - it's still ambiguous and there doesn't seem to have been a press release.  Not that someone from the Isle of Man could get the appropriate certificate anyway.

Edited to add: In the case of Malta they are requiring all arrivals to be vaccinated - only returning locals can get in with negative tests.

Edited by Roger Mexico

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I don't think contemptuously about him. That's a bit strong. He has good points and bad points. He has made some errors of judgement. However I would say I find him a little irritating and he has lost his initial humbles and likeability. He is now trying to get it back by saying " Remember I am just a layman" before then giving a medical/scientific view.

I didn't have contempt for the man either until he showed utter contempt for the GMP by first shredding that letter then later saying "I've said all I'm going to say" when asked about his promised point-by-point rebuttal to Dr Glover's statements detailing how she was treated by him and his department.  

Not forgetting his obfuscation (at times borderline gaslighting) concerning... well, many things, including but not limited to his recent BS about the AZ batch numbers. 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 3

From the BBC this morning:

11:09

Hospitalisation figures show vaccine effectiveness

d19ce0f2-3638-4e07-8f77-1111c9e11e39.jpg

Nick Triggle

Health Correspondent

image.gif.61d8b072a3d5844bd284061bc8b37906.gif
PA MediaCopyright: PA Media

Reports of vaccinated people ending up in hospital causes alarm.

On Monday, chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance revealed that around 60% of hospitalisations were among people who are unvaccinated.

So that means for every 60 unvaccinated people hospitalised, about 40 who have been vaccinated are also ending up in hospital. Does that mean the vaccines are not working very well? Absolutely not.

That’s because for every 60 unvaccinated people, there are about 440 vaccinated adults in the population.

So that means the numbers of vaccinated people in hospital are at least 10 times lower than they would be if the vaccines did not work at all.

The 60:40 ratio therefore suggests the vaccines are a little over 90% effective at keeping people out of hospital.

But the news is even better than that. The figures are skewed by the fact the people who are most likely to be unvaccinated are the younger age groups - the ones least likely to end up in hospital.

If you factor that in the vaccines look to be well above 90% effective at keeping people out of hospital – bang in line with what all the research suggests.

image.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

image.gif

Not saying this isn't accurate but I have long since stopped taking any note of what they say in their press conferences or communicated via the BBC as things change on an almost daily basis. They'll come up with whatever figures suit their narrative at any one time. 

25 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Not saying this isn't accurate but I have long since stopped taking any note of what they say in their press conferences or communicated via the BBC as things change on an almost daily basis. They'll come up with whatever figures suit their narrative at any one time. 

The data will be from ONS/PHE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

image.gif

They haven't considered all the facts. It's better than 90% because you have to remember that the vaccinated proportion includes all the vulnerable and old who would have been many many times more likely to end up in hospital. 

• Like 3