Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

4 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

When did our government announce this was going to take place Teapot?

Dunno, sometime over the last week 

Edit - kids https://twitter.com/IOMGovernment/status/1438533114888921096

Older people https://twitter.com/IOMGovernment/status/1438438937161240580

Edited by TheTeapot

22 hours ago, wrighty said:

Been invited for my booster shot.  Does this mean that the government have realised the initial chips aren't working as well as they wanted, or do they want to just finish me off sooner than the already scheduled 3 years?

22 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It's highly unlikely that you need one

Moved these quotes from the 'flat earth' vaccine thread to this one.

Personally, I'm unsure if I should get a booster shot.  On the pro side - my jabs were 3 weeks apart almost 9 months ago.  The 3 week dosing schedule probably wasn't as good as the UK gamble on 12 week intervals, being jabbed at the earliest opportunity my immunity will have waned as much as anyone's, on average.

However, real world data suggests I'm still protected against serious illness (although a mate of mine was pretty sick with it despite being vaxxed), I'm not personally vulnerable, I'm a bit disappointed the vaccine is unchanged - should have been tweaked to Delta mRNA in my view - and there are others in the world who would clearly benefit more than me by getting their first jab.  Me not having mine though doesn't ensure that.

I'll probably have it.  Risk is low, and if governments suddenly introduce rules on vaccine recency and I can't travel because mine's out of date I'll be annoyed.  It's certainly not as clear cut a decision as it was first time though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Moved these quotes from the 'flat earth' vaccine thread to this one.

Personally, I'm unsure if I should get a booster shot.  On the pro side - my jabs were 3 weeks apart almost 9 months ago.  The 3 week dosing schedule probably wasn't as good as the UK gamble on 12 week intervals, being jabbed at the earliest opportunity my immunity will have waned as much as anyone's, on average.

However, real world data suggests I'm still protected against serious illness (although a mate of mine was pretty sick with it despite being vaxxed), I'm not personally vulnerable, I'm a bit disappointed the vaccine is unchanged - should have been tweaked to Delta mRNA in my view - and there are others in the world who would clearly benefit more than me by getting their first jab.  Me not having mine though doesn't ensure that.

I'll probably have it.  Risk is low, and if governments suddenly introduce rules on vaccine recency and I can't travel because mine's out of date I'll be annoyed.  It's certainly not as clear cut a decision as it was first time though.

I will have my booster, mainly due to pragmatism as I anticipate future travel restrictions. I personally wish they would use them in less fortunate countries instead though.

The issue that my wife and I are really unsure about and are debating is whether to vaccinate our now eligible child. He recently had Covid (no issues and asymptomatic), but in normal times we travel a lot. Plenty of thoughts going on regarding unnecessary vaccination due to minimal risk, dose better used elsewhere, already immune due to Covid, travel restrictions etc. I imagine this will be a difficult discussion going on in a lot of households at the moment.      

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

... being jabbed at the earliest opportunity my immunity will have waned as much as anyone's, on average.

The drop-off in immunity is still a grey area though, is it not? We have a virus that is asymptomatic and mild in some and yet deadly to others. There has to be a genetic disposition to this virus in humans, in terms of fatal outcomes and resistance. During the first outbreaks we saw the BAME communities suffering the worst effects, is this still a thing? 

Edited by quilp

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

The drop-off in immunity is still a grey area though, is it not? We have a virus that is asymptomatic and mild in some and yet deadly to others. There has to be a genetic disposition to this virus in humans, in terms of fatal outcomes and resistance. During the first outbreaks we saw the BAME communities suffering the worst effects, is this still a thing? 

The BAME thing was always about things relating to social class - where you live and what job you do.  If you think about it, the only way that it could be true would be if 'White' (ie non-BAME) people had some favourable genetic adaptation that meant they were less susceptible.  There's too much genetic diversity across the various BAME populations for one thing to make them more so.

At an individual level, it doesn't necessarily have to be a genetic thing that makes some people suffer worse or even fatally from Covid.  Some things are just chance in the way an individual's body works.