Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Not looking good for the roll out of the boosters, with the amount of individuals who have missed their appointment. I am of the opinion that some individuals are vaccination fatigued and have missed their appointment. It is annoying and selfish. Unfortunately the island won’t reduce the time between second vaccination and booster of precisely six months to five months which the UK are doing. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Not looking good for the roll out of the boosters, with the amount of individuals who have missed their appointment. I am of the opinion that some individuals are vaccination fatigued and have missed their appointment.

There's undoubtedly some (there's always some of everything in a large enough group) but it shouldn't be over-estimated.  According to Manx Radio

Almost 1400 people have failed to turn up for a Covid-19 booster vaccination on the Isle of Man.  That figure includes 187 people who did not show for their appointment on Monday.

But we know that Monday figure must be because of admin cock-ups not reluctance, and that makes you wonder if there is some of that elsewhere in the figures.  And if under 1400 have been missed 17,044 have been given (plus 641 third doses), that's under 7.5% missed including mistakes on their side.

And a lot of the under 1400 will be people who have forgotten or been unable to go - with another 76 new cases today, and 470 active, there will be a lot of contacts who can't. Some may be unaware about cancelling or not able to get through to 111.  So there doesn't really seem to be much evidence of people not wanting boosters.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Oh I don’t know it’s a bit of an ask. Must be able to work for minimum wage, afford to get to St Johns and back everyday on poverty wages and be vaccinated. How much unreasonable criteria can you apply to a job? Might as well look for anyone who has scored in a World Cup.

And two GCSEs as well - who can possibly meet such high standards.

(This is really quite lazy news reporting - look people are complaining on Facebook!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Oh I don’t know it’s a bit of an ask. Must be able to work for minimum wage, afford to get to St Johns and back everyday on poverty wages and be vaccinated.

Is £380 per week and 5 weeks paid holidays a year, with food and drink provided during working hours really a poverty-level wage? That's what was advertised to prospective employees in that press release.

Just saying. 

Screenshot_20211124-223005_Chrome.jpg

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is £380 per week and 5 weeks paid holidays a year, with food and drink provided during working hours really a poverty-level wage? That's what was advertised to prospective employees in that press release.

Just saying. 

It’s £10.13 an hour assuming 37.5 hours per week. 

Living wage is £10.87 an hour this year. 

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Just saying. 

It’s good money for general cafe work which is what is described in that advert but there is absolutely nothing about the supervisor role and that’s shit money for a supervisor, assuming there is responsibility for staff, not just the coffee.

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Try assuming a 55 hour week!

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Who works 35 hours a week in catering?

Yep, I get that, just pointing out that it takes an assumption of 35 hours to bring the hourly rate out close to the £10.87 figure. Reductio ad absurdum. 

• Haha 1

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect staff to be vaccinated, small businesses cannot afford to have a lot of staff illnesses.   Not sure about the GCEs.  modern tills do all the work for you and exams in English are not a guarantee of the ability to converse with customers.  I think perhaps the requirements are a bit optimistic but a high bar is no bad thing.    I would think this job would be ok for anyone living in St Johns or even Peel, free meals are also a plus and free parking.   The Anti Vax gang will have loved this chance to air their views.    I have a friend who will not have a jab for anything, never has, her parents did not believe in them and she has never had a needle in her arm or anywhere else.   I respect her beliefs but get a bit riled when she crows every time one of our jabbed friends get the virus this is the thing most people respect people’s personal choices not to be jabbed as long as they respect the choices of the people who have chosen to be vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HeliX said:

"The business has subsequently deleted its Facebook page."

Presumably after a tirade of abuse from the usual suspects.

To be fair they deserve it. What if the only suitable applicant was recovering from cancer and had been advised against the vaccine. Would they reject her on those grounds?

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Danoo said:

To be fair they deserve it. What if the only suitable applicant was recovering from cancer and had been advised against the vaccine. Would they reject her on those grounds?

No, they don't deserve it. Nobody deserves a load of abuse simply for doing what they thought was right. It's rather disquieting that you think they do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1