Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

EU President pushing for mandatory vaccinations which is a step too far

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has said she thinks it's time for EU member states to consider mandatory vaccinations.

She said such measures were required due to the emergence of the Omicron variant.

41 minutes ago, Banker said:

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has said she thinks it's time for EU member states to consider mandatory vaccinations.

She said such measures were required due to the emergence of the Omicron variant.

For which they have almost zero data for. Nothing meaningful anyway. 

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

It'll show up in your GP record vaccinations section, like mine does, along with the flu jab I had at the same time.

I’m presuming it will eventually be migrated to the app/pass. Some destinations require your last vax to have been within the previous six months, not so much crossing borders but entering restaurants and places of entertainment.

Im hoping it shows, otherwise my hour on the phone, this morning, buying tickets for La Bayadere at Opera Bastille on 30 April is going to have been wasted.

7 hours ago, Banker said:

The EU are that far behind the curve they will have to look at radical policies.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Has anyone claimed they won't, or said it may be an issue?

No.  People have worried that might be the case because it is a new variant, but there is absolutely no evidence to back it up yet.

This is going to turn out to be the biggest overreaction of all the pandemic overreactions we have already seen.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Has anyone claimed they won't, or said it may be an issue?

It’s been said to be a potential issue. It’s got some similar mutations to Delta, as well as some others. They make it harder for existing antibodies (either from the virus or vaccination) to neutralise the virus. 

So far, the Israeli data suggests if you’re boostered up, you’ve got 90% protection against serious illness vs 95% against serious illness with Delta. The same data reckons it spreads about 30% faster, and you’re 100% more likely to catch it again after having had COVID. 

But, it’ll take some time to know for sure either way. A little bit of data here and there isn’t enough to be certain enough to let it rip through unhindered. 

South Africa are having hospitalisations rocket up, but they’re majority unvaccinated. But a lot of them have already had COVID at least once too. 

As we speak, there are all sorts of experiments going on to ascertain what’s going to be true, along with a lot of data collection. 

Anyone making any claims either way is hypothesising until we have more data. That’s why governments are generally ramping up surveillance until they know what they’re dealing with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This whole thing is another dog’s breakfast. You must isolate for 10 days if you are “in contact” with somebody “suspected” of having the omicron variant. How would one “suspect” since PCR tests are either +ve or -ve and do not state variant? Is it my suspicion? Your suspicion? 
There is no way out of isolation with a test and no mention of isolation for people you live with. 
It’s a free pass for anyone who wants extra Christmas time off - suspected contact on December 14th?
As a triple-jabbed covid recoveree (6 weeks) I wonder wtf one has to do to be free of this carp.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1