Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

But tell me this, what is the point of vaccinating low risk people, I.e. The under 60's? 

I know someone young and healthy. She is 20 years old just returned from Uni not long ago.

They can barely walk upstairs without struggling for breath. 2 months down the line.

There's plenty of reason to do it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jaymann said:

Interesting JSY and GCI are getting more deliveries of these quantities.

Irrespective of need, I thought distribution was based on quantity of population? There is still a need to vaccinate our vulnerable and elderly. I guess they saw we're not bothering using ours till January and thought they'd send more to the CIs given they're proactively vaccinating people.

They are not going to give it to us if we just stick it in the freezer and leave it there

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

A novel way to combat a novel virus. Israeli scientists confident that LED's have a future role in Covid treatments...

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/tel-aviv-research-999-percent-of-covid-19-germs-dead-in-30-seconds-with-uv-leds-653315

Actually if you read it carefully, it just says that a method that is normally used to kill viruses can also be used to kill this particular virus.  Which isn't much of a surprise.  The use of LEDs isn't either, because these are increasing used to provide light of specific wavelengths, though it's nice to know the technology is there.

It won't be much use in the treatment of patients, unless you're expecting to have a micro-miniaturised Raquel Welsh crawl around inside you with a UV torch.  I could see it being useful in the sterilising of surfaces though, not that that seems to be as much of a problem with Covid transmission as once thought and there are safety concerns with the use of UV.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:04 PM, Cambon said:

But tell me this, what is the point of vaccinating low risk people, I.e. The under 60's? 

There isn't. Treat the high risk categories and if there are any others who would like to get on the waiting list then they can get in line. The rest can get on with life. 

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

I know someone a lot younger than 60, who had the virus in March, and is still suffering from breathing difficulties.

Getting on with life, eh?

People have suffered after effects of viral infections since the beginning of time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lxxx said:

There isn't. Treat the high risk categories and if there are any others who would like to get on the waiting list then they can get in line. The rest can get on with life. 

Stop them transmitting it to others. 
Yes I know that it’s “not yet known” that the vaccine prevents transmission, but it probably will, so the more that are vaccinated the better. And since youngsters will probably generate a stronger, longer lasting immune response in some respects it makes sense to prioritise them. 

2 hours ago, Lxxx said:People have suffered after effects of viral infections since the beginning of time. 

Agreed, the term ‘long Covid’ drives me nuts and is another media invention to scare the masses. I had a severe tropical virus some years ago that floored me for over six months. That is what viruses do, it isn’t unique to Covid.

53 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Agreed, the term ‘long Covid’ drives me nuts and is another media invention to scare the masses. I had a severe tropical virus some years ago that floored me for over six months. That is what viruses do, it isn’t unique to Covid.

Well once you accept that Covid-19 is/can be a whole lot worse than 'the flu' then you'll realise that its long term effects are a whole lot worse too.

52 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Doesn’t that rather depend on how long before the “long” effects take to appear, how severe they are, and how long they last for, as well as how many people suffer from “long” effects?

I had chicken pox when 7. I had shingles attacks once in my 50’s and then when I was immunocompromised in the run up to leukaemia being diagnosed and during chemo.

The percentage affected by immediate, serious, medium term and ongoing, “long” effects seems high.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Doesn’t that rather depend on how long before the “long” effects take to appear, how severe they are, and how long they last for, as well as how many people suffer from “long” effects?

I had chicken pox when 7. I had shingles attacks once in my 50’s and then when I was immunocompromised in the run up to leukaemia being diagnosed and during chemo.

The percentage affected by immediate, serious, medium term and ongoing, “long” effects seems high.

My point is that all nasty viruses can cause 'long' effects, it isn't unique to Covid. As to your thought re. the prevalence of 'long' effects being high, that may well be true, alternatively they may be in line with other nasty viruses but are given added exposure due to the current situation.