Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

22 hours ago, newaccount said:

Are Manx Care offering the full range of vaccinations that are available on the NHS

Yes.

The post natal and preschool are chased up by health visitors.

School age are chased by GP and school. They used to have school clinics. Not sure if that still happens.

Adult you have to ask. Although I get reminders for flu and shingles because age/vulnerability and likewise covid boosters. Monkeypox I had a reminder about my booster from sexual health team at the GUM clinic.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been reading the latest announcement from the CDC, concerning the new Covid variant. According to the link, if someone has already had Covid, or the various vaccines, they are more likely to fall victim to this variant. That's how I read it, anyway. If this is the case, what's the point of more vaccinations? I'm not by any means, 'anti-vaccine'; I've contracted covid 3 times since the outbreak (one very severe episode shortly after the 3rd vaccination) even though I've had all the relevant jabs.

I just don't know anymore... 

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/covid-19-variant.html

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Just been reading the latest announcement from the CDC, concerning the new Covid variant. According to the link, if someone has already had Covid, or the various vaccines, they are more likely to fall victim to this variant. That's how I read it, anyway. If this is the case, what's the point of more vaccinations? I'm not by any means, 'anti-vaccine'; I've contracted covid 3 times since the outbreak (one very severe episode shortly after the 3rd vaccination) even though I've had all the relevant jabs.

Not quite. What they mean is that this variant is significantly different. If you've had COVID before or any of the previous vaccines your immune system will be set up to fight those variants if they see them again. This new variant is significantly different enough that having immunity from previous infections and vaccinations doesn't protect you as well as it would with any other variant. So, effectively, it's saying that an update to the vaccine is required (just like it was needed for Omicron) and that your previous infections won't protect you as well against this variant. It's all because this virus mutates so fast and hasn't gone away yet.

Hopefully that make sense - the overall takehome is that there will likely be a "BA.2.86" booster later this year or early next year (like there was for Omicron) and you should definitely get it.

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

I think you're misreading the CDC report.  When they say "BA.2.86 may be more capable of causing infection in people who have previously had COVID-19 or who have received COVID-19 vaccine" I think they mean that that it is more capable of infecting than previous Covid variants are.  In other words vaccination or prior infection won't protect people to the same extent.

Edited to add:  What Rachel said (which I hadn't seen when I posted), especially with regard to the need to update vaccines - and how important it is for vulnerable people to make sure they are up to date with the latest.

It's worth saying that, while scientists have been a bit 'spooked' about how different this variant is from previous ones, there's nothing to say that it is more severe in the disease it causes or faster to spread - though the way the few cases so far are in so many countries, suggests it could be as infectious as previous ones.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Not quite. What they mean is that this variant is significantly different. If you've had COVID before or any of the previous vaccines your immune system will be set up to fight those variants if they see them again. This new variant is significantly different enough that having immunity from previous infections and vaccinations doesn't protect you as well as it would with any other variant. So, effectively, it's saying that an update to the vaccine is required (just like it was needed for Omicron) and that your previous infections won't protect you as well against this variant. It's all because this virus mutates so fast and hasn't gone away yet.

Hopefully that make sense - the overall takehome is that there will likely be a "BA.2.86" booster later this year or early next year (like there was for Omicron) and you should definitely get it.

You've always made sense, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

Spoken to others about the report since posting and they were also confused I'll pass on your clarification.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Ignore everything the CDC says, they have proven over the course of the pandemic that they haven't got a fucking clue.

This variant makes no difference to anything. 

• Haha 1

Had a chat this AM with a friend who lives in London. He's just recovering from his third bout of covid. He's pretty sure it was the new variant as he's had all his jabs. It was not as grim as his first two infections but it's left him so snotty he can hang wallpaper without any paste! (His words, not mine...)

I've got a flu jab coming up. I'm going to ask them to add covid and pneumonia at the same time.

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ignore everything the CDC says, they have proven over the course of the pandemic that they haven't got a fucking clue.

This variant makes no difference to anything. 

I'd agree the CDC have frequently been at odds with their predictions and the outcome over time. So many people have said to me, "huh, I'm not having anymore vaccines, didn't do me any good!" after NOT catching Covid (they couldn't possibly know for certain as some were possibly asymptomatic) so I'll be curious to see how many of them uptake this time around.

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

I'd agree the CDC have frequently been at odds with their predictions and the outcome over time. So many people have said to me, "huh, I'm not having anymore vaccines, didn't do me any good!" after NOT catching Covid (they couldn't possibly know for certain as some were possibly asymptomatic) so I'll be curious to see how many of them uptake this time around.

I really don't see the point in getting further vaccinated, for anyone outside of those whose immune systems genuinely don't work. There is no evidence further vaccinations will make any difference, because it is now impossible to accurately trial them. I think they're restricting it to the over 70s this time round, which i suppose is fair enough, although I don't think it'll make any difference whatsoever for anyone when they next get covid. It'll either be fine or it won't. Talk of finally offering them for sale, should make sure that a significant chunk of the price goes to paying off the fucking debt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1