Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Hi wrighty. If you read what I put I said vaccines clear the body quickly. The immune response will hopefully last a long time. You suggested the vaccines could react. I was assuring you they would not.

Yes there are unknowns, just saying that the basic human biology would suggest this was not a particular risk.

Good luck with the jab, you are lucky.

Well, it really depends as nobody has tested the immune response of one jab after the other.

The whole idea of a vaccine is to really stir your immune system up, such that it produces the antibodies you need.

Now, whether doing this twice, with different RNA each time, but the same spike, will they be alike enough that it enhances the previous one? Or will it trigger some form of adverse reaction? There are plenty of things that make you more ill rather than less if you're exposed to it again. See Spanish Flu as the most referred to example.

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, it really depends as nobody has tested the immune response of one jab after the other.

The whole idea of a vaccine is to really stir your immune system up, such that it produces the antibodies you need.

Now, whether doing this twice, with different RNA each time, but the same spike, will they be alike enough that it enhances the previous one? Or will it trigger some form of adverse reaction? There are plenty of things that make you more ill rather than less if you're exposed to it again. See Spanish Flu as the most referred to example.

I didn't say it was safe, I just said that you could not assume it was unsafe and that logic might say it was likely to be safe

I can't understand why people on here think they know more than doctors. 

Also it's not going to be compulsory.

Why does the @teapot have to use such bad language and what has antidepressants got to do with vaccines.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Why does the @teapot have to use such bad language and what has antidepressants got to do with vaccines.

I'm cross about the desperate anti-science approach being proposed. If you don't understand the very obvious point I was making I cant help you.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm cross about the desperate anti-science approach being proposed. If you don't understand the very obvious point I was making I cant help you.

Fair enough. I understand that. It maybe that you are right as I am no expert that's for sure. I think the idea smacks of desperation, but then they are desperate and 1000 people per day dying in the UK.

I wonder if the IOM will stick to the original plan.....if we ever start..

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Fair enough. I understand that. It maybe that you are right as I am no expert that's for sure. I think the idea smacks of desperation, but then they are desperate and 1000 people per day dying in the UK.

I wonder if the IOM will stick to the original plan.....if we ever start..

I hope I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Just as further reassurance, it is common practice to mix vaccines. My missus has pneumonia jabs each 5 years because of a health condition. This year they didn't have the normal one and we were going on hol. The pharmacist have her a different one but then said come for your normal one when you get back from holiday.

She did and she's still here:hug:

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Just as further reassurance, it is common practice to mix vaccines. My missus has pneumonia jabs each 5 years because of a health condition. This year they didn't have the normal one and we were going on hol. The pharmacist have her a different one but then said come for your normal one when you get back from holiday.

She did and she's still here:hug:

Those vaccines aren't brand new ones though. There will be actual data and evidence that they can be used in that way.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

You get prescribed a medication from the doctor, say an antidepressant, take it for a month, get a repeat but the chemist says we haven't got that one, here's a different one instead, it's still an antidepressant, is this an acceptable thing? Is it fuck. 

What happens in NICE signs off a biosimilar medication, then management comes along and moves all patients by default to new generic option, and see what happens. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

You get prescribed a medication from the doctor, say an antidepressant, take it for a month, get a repeat but the chemist says we haven't got that one, here's a different one instead, it's still an antidepressant, is this an acceptable thing? Is it fuck. 

That can’t, and doesn’t, happen. The pharmacist has to dispense what the Dr prescribes. Drs don’t usually prescribe named proprietary brands. They prescribe according to the BNP generically.

That extends to strength, size etc. Substituting one generic with another is clearly acceptable. I’ve never had an issue being switched. But from experience, GP prescribes 75mg tablets, two, twice per day, so that’s 150mg twice per day, but my pharmacist won’t dispense 3 x 50mg. There’s been supply difficulty this last couple of years. I’ve ended up running from pharmacy to pharmacy, or having to go back to GP on several occasions.

Taking your example, by extension, if the GP prescribed a vaccine to be administered by the pharmacist, it’ll be vaccine for XYZ, and not by specific manufacturer.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

That can’t, and doesn’t, happen. The pharmacist has to dispense what the Dr prescribes. Drs don’t usually prescribe named proprietary brands. They prescribe according to the BNP generically.

That extends to strength, size etc. Substituting one generic with another is clearly acceptable. I’ve never had an issue being switched. But from experience, GP prescribes 75mg tablets, two, twice per day, so that’s 150mg twice per day, but my pharmacist won’t dispense 3 x 50mg. There’s been supply difficulty this last couple of years. I’ve ended up running from pharmacy to pharmacy, or having to go back to GP on several occasions.

Taking your example, by extension, if the GP prescribed a vaccine to be administered by the pharmacist, it’ll be vaccine for XYZ, and not by specific manufacturer.

What’s the British National Party got to do with it?;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quote from a CNN news article-

Mixing Covid-19 vaccines is not recommended, Public Health England’s Head of Immunisations Dr. Mary Ramsay said Saturday, after government guidance was updated this week to say the interchangeability of Covid-19 vaccines was a "reasonable" option.

“We do not recommend mixing the Covid-19 vaccines – if your first dose is the Pfizer vaccine you should not be given the AstraZeneca vaccine for your second dose and vice versa,” Ramsay said in a statement.

“There may be extremely rare occasions where the same vaccine is not available, or where it is not known what vaccine the patient received. Every effort should be made to give them the same vaccine, but where this is not possible it is better to give a second dose of another vaccine than not at all,” she added.

• Like 1