Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

And, on MR today, they are reporting that letters to over 80's are going out in 'next 7 to 10 days' whereas yesterday Ashford said 'tomorrow' i.e. today.

It then seems that on receipt, you have to register that you want the vaccine and they will ring you back, when a slot opens up. Talk about  an inefficent, labour intensive, slow and error prone system. 

And to cap it all they're rolling it out for the +80s at Ward 20, where parking is an absolute nightmare.

They should start talking to the Vagabonds Rugby Club & the football club (can't recall which club shares the Ballafletcher sports site) to see if their clubhouse can be made available, there's going to be no sport there for a while anyway. The car park there could be cordoned off to allow for easier access. It's all on the level and access to/from the main road at Nobles is easy.

And why can't the registration and booking an appointment all be done at the same time?

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And to cap it all they're rolling it out for the +80s at Ward 20, where parking is an absolute nightmare.

They should start talking to the Vagabonds Rugby Club & the football club (can't recall which club shares the Ballafletcher sports site) to see if their clubhouse can be made available, there's going to be no sport there for a while anyway. The car park there could be cordoned off to allow for easier access. It's all on the level and access to/from the main road at Nobles is easy.

And why can't the registration and booking an appointment all be done at the same time?

Ashford said yesterday, "This is not a process" which is a fundamantal error of understanding.

Yes, it is primarily a medical procedure, with all the attendent protocols, and patient safety issues, but when you want to do it 70,000 times, over 9 months, you definitely need to design an efficient, slick and scaleable 'process'. If not, you will quickly drown in paperwork, phone calls, unanswered calls, post-it notes, poor staff morale, staff absence and complaints. This will lead to clinical errors and delays, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid.

Your final question is exactly the sort of question the people involved in designing this clumsy process should have asked, and dealt with. I would also ask, why do you need to register at all? Just book. Surely, booking implies registration.

This has all the hallmarks of a process which will cost a fortune, get log jammed very quickly, and from that, mistakes, dissatisfaction and delays are inevitable.

I predict now, that just like the Promenade, by the end of February, they will be at least three weeks behind schedule.

Edited by Nellie
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Ashford said yesterday, "This is not a process" which is a fundamantal error of understanding.

Yes, it is primarily a medical procedure, with all the attendent protocols, and patient safety issues, but when you want to do it 70,000 times, over 9 months, you definitely need to design an efficient, slick and scaleable 'process'. If not, you will quickly drown in paperwork, phone calls, unanswered calls, post-it notes, poor staff morale, staff absence and complaints. This will lead to clinical errors and delays, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid.

Your final question is exactly the sort of question the people involved in designing this clumsy process should have asked, and dealt with. I would also ask, why do you need to register at all? Just book. Surely, booking implies registration.

This has all the hallmarks of a process which will cost a fortune, get log jammed very quickly, and from that, mistakes, dissatisfaction and delays are inevitable.

I predict now, that just like the Promenade, by the end of February, they will be at least three weeks behind schedule.

Thats a tad optimistic. We are already 2 weeks behind

9 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Quite so. +1

The re-purposing of the airport as a vaccine centre is going to end up being a very expensive pair of dogs bollocks. I hope one of the journos asks why so much money is being spent on such a basic requirement.

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Yes. Over 80s start at Ward 20. Pfizer can only be administered from ward 20. We need significant supplies of AZ before we can roll out at Airport, or elsewhere.

Why only Ward 20? It hasn't stopped other parts of the UK from using sports stadiums, even the Excel centre.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why only Ward 20? It hasn't stopped other parts of the UK from using sports stadiums, even the Excel centre.

I guess it is easier to ensure the numbers over there. Also, isn't the Excel centre now a nightingale hospital? 

19 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Our freezers at home operate at -20C, so I hope that this isn't trotted out as another lame government excuse for the lack of pace in our vaccination programme.

Yeah good point. So does ours. It came from Colburns Ashie

Saying that maybe Colburns wont indemnify it to a satisfactory level

Edited by Happier diner
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Our freezers at home operate at -20C, so I hope that this isn't trotted out as another lame government excuse for the lack of pace in our vaccination programme.

The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine needs to be stored at minus 70 Celsius. Health care providers will need to store it either in dry ice for shorter stints or in specialized freezers.

40 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine needs to be stored at minus 70 Celsius. Health care providers will need to store it either in dry ice for shorter stints or in specialized freezers.

It is apparently very delicate, and needs strict preparation and handling once defrosted and decanted. It is all about keeping the fat layer on the vaccine liquid. It is not even meant to be taken on stairs, presumably because of the vibrations. Source - Radio 4 this morning.