Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

10 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

It all really depends on what exactly the vaccine actually does as that is still assumed but not publicly confirmed at the minute. Does is prevent infection? Does it stop transmission? Does it just alleviate symptoms? 

The last of your list I think is the main driver (to keep folk out of hospital) and the other two, I guess, are part and parcel of the same package to some greater or lesser degree. There have been cases where people that have had the jab that have gone on to test positive both symptomatically and asymptomatically. 

The take up of other vaccines varies as well. Every year (for the last 15 years or so) I attempt a HepC vaccination (another vaccine with two doses) as it's an entry requirement for some countries that I work in but my body somehow won't take to it. Neither the first nor the follow up confer any immunity.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Doubt Ashie will stray from his plan to vaccinate retail, I also think we should vaccinate teachers so schools can reopen easier 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/food-retail-workers-higher-priority-for-covid-vaccine/

Teachers and support staff, oh and admin staff and cleaners and dinner staff and what about the children oh and their parents. They need to stick to the plan and vaccinate those who are most likely to die

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Wonder if we’ll just stop at 1141 this week, Jersey doing 3500 this week & ramping upto 1500 per day 7 days per week.Guernsey in nursing homes this week with Oxford vaccine rolled out in both islands.

We are not doing well despite what some think

https://www.gov.je/News/2020/Pages/covidparking.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0Rv1kbqcNhgBPnSr7etbUsgn9Lb8Ef04PjfxEMHhYDPg0iAogqVNySXE0

Edited by Banker

Anyone heard about the beta interferon nebuliser treatment being used in USA hospitals to boost immune system when ill with virus.

May help to reduce length of stays and enable patients to be transferred out of ICU sooner.

Could make a difference here.

That pharmaceutical has some serious side-effects and is contraindicated with other medications, especially cancer drugs and can induce suicidality in mental health patients so it's not for everyone. Its application-base is limited. But if it helps some... 

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

Wonder if we’ll just stop at 1141 this week, Jersey doing 3500 this week & ramping upto 1500 per day 7 days per week.Guernsey in nursing homes this week with Oxford vaccine rolled out in both islands.

https://www.gov.je/News/2020/Pages/covidparking.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0Rv1kbqcNhgBPnSr7etbUsgn9Lb8Ef04PjfxEMHhYDPg0iAogqVNySXE0

I think our plan is 1141 this week, 1841 next week, 2982 the week after and following two weeks, then 3682 after that, supply permitting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cambon said:

I think our plan is 1141 this week, 1841 next week, 2982 the week after and following two weeks, then 3682 after that, supply permitting. 

Well not heard that but even if true it's still a long way behind other crown dependencies who get exactly same supply per head as us.

14 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The Independent: "Boris Johnson has said the coronavirus vaccine programme will be in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week as soon as possible."

He's currently appearing before the House of Commons Liason Committee. You've never heard so much off the cuff bluster, bull and deflection in your life, he hasn't answered one question directly. The Committee rightly appear to be less than impressed.

35 minutes ago, Banker said:

Jersey are leaving a 12 week gap between the first and second doses so I guess they have more available to give first doses at this stage

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Yes. You beat me to it. I hope someone has realised that the strategy he explained this evening means that this is what will need to happen. I hope he never has to plan a complex construction project because that is not the most efficient way to work. He should be utilising all capacity now not expecting to double it in week 4 and so on 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Anyone heard about the beta interferon nebuliser treatment being used in USA hospitals to boost immune system when ill with virus.

May help to reduce length of stays and enable patients to be transferred out of ICU sooner.

Could make a difference here.

See a couple of pages back, I posted a link to a BBC article of UK company developing it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. You beat me to it. I hope someone has realised that the strategy he explained this evening means that this is what will need to happen. I hope he never has to plan a complex construction project because that is not the most efficient way to work. He should be utilising all capacity now not expecting to double it in week 4 and so on 

Yes it seemed bullshit to me that we must keep 2 doses for everyone to have within 21 days. If it slips to 28 days it doesn’t matter, get the vaccine rolled out quicker!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Roll out is predicated by the supply, not just the amount available in total, but frequency of delivery. It’s also predicated by your delivery plan. IOM has taken a perfectly valid decision to follow the 21 day gap between doses AND to not vaccinate anyone unless the second dose is here. It’s very belt and braces but I’ve no doubt it’s the best clinical practice in an ideal world.

Roll out is then predicated by infrastructure, the number of places you have to vaccinate from, the number of qualified vaccinators, and the number of trained support staff. Support staff includes the people sorting out the letters, the people staffing 111, receptionists at the vaccination point, those administering informed consent, those keeping accurate record of name, address, GP, date of birth, NHS number, type of vaccine, batch number, as well as those handling the vaccine, overseeing transport, safe storage at appropriate temperatures, thawing, disposal of sharps.

You don’t start at full capacity. You work up, develop, extend, recruit, train and expand capacity, learning and speeding up as you go.

What he’s told us is the most efficient way. We can’t just drop everything else at GP surgeries, Nobles, pharmacies, 111, testing.

Did he say when the large vaccination centre at Ronaldsway will open? You wouldn’t open at full capacity. 

Sounds like the plan is considered, practical, pragmatic and achievable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1