Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

I would have thought the Promenade Suite at the Villa suitable. The whole room has its own partitioning system.  Plenty of parking and could use the grassed area if necessary, separate entry and exit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Isle of Man vaccination centre - partially completed, vs Salisbury Cathedral  vax centre - in service:

image0-6-min.thumb.jpg.f9491e953eff36179dc6afcb44303f89.jpeg.afa41e8cc7f197f8a2c4f1f6cd5e7e32.jpegPRC_179272640.jpg.e8bdf820604006207259dddc60f0ce71.jpg

Clear now why the DoI needs another 2 weeks for the airport and "sometime in February" for the supermarket. Not clear why this wasn't started and finished weeks ago when everyone knew vaccination centres would be needed.

In the face of this crisis I can't decide if this is shameless opportunism or unbelievable stupidity. Even more incredible that someone, ie Quayle, didn't take one look at the plans and timeframe and say you've got to be joking.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Even more incredible that someone, ie Quayle, didn't take one look at the plans and timeframe and say you've got to be joking.  

Applicable to any DOI project.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The simple Salisbury layout has a table at each vax. station, someone with a laptop (presumably doing data logging) at one end of the table, and a nurse and a victim. The wide space down the centre allows the victims to easily get to each station and then exit the area. The IoM layout appears to complicate things to the extent that the available area is not fully utilised.

I suppose that a FoI request to find which company got the contract to build this mess and how much they got paid, would be futile.

Why are you calling  people victims ?

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I would have thought the Promenade Suite at the Villa suitable.

Yes, but as Lewis has commented above, this is not a matter of vaccinating the population - it is a matter of how much taxpayer's money can be diverted to certain local companies.

The image of Salisbury Cathedral shows how simple the layout should be. When the plans for the Chester Street Shoprite vax. centre become public, I take a guess and say it will not be so simple and definitely not so cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As this is only a 'temporary' structure surely it would have been cheaper and quicker to have curtain or polythene partitions? 

Also why use Ronaldsway when they could use an alternative such as nobles TT VIP tent, or as others have mentioned the Villa? 

Also why are they using the check in hall, do they anticipate having no flights this year? 

All the above are genuine questions, as it would seem that we are over engineering and spending too much time and money on something that appears quite simple. I am sure there are really good reasons for the current plan, but it would be nice to be told. Anybody?

There seems to be a lot of comment about the numbers of those in the IoM who are 80+ who have already been vaccinated. The feeling appears that it is disappointing low but are we out of line with other countries. Jersey was reporting that of the first 3,590 people who had received the vacine only 734 were over 80. that is 15% of the 80+ population. https://www.gov.je/News/2021/Pages/COVIDVaccineStats.aspx

It seems that vaccinating key workers in health case, nursing homes might be the priority or may reflect how difficult it is to transport the Pfizer vaccine. I would have hoped that in the IoM that we would be doing better than only 20% of the jabs going to those 80 but if it turns out they are prioritising patient transfers I would not complain.

Getting the vaccine in people as fast as you can or doing it in a manner that means you can basically guarantee that you do in accordance with how the producers state you should is  in my view, very much a matter of choice. If the virus was running rampant as in the USA, UK I can see the appeal of injecting a dose to as many as possible as quickly as possible as soon as possible. The IoM is not in that position so I can see the merits of ensuring that you can rigidly follow the guidelines. There are enough reports in the media about manufacturing delays and delivery delays in the UK to doctors practices that I can understand that if you decide to follow best practice you might wait until you can guarantee you give the second dose before you give the first.

The booths in the airport seem totally over the top. In a hospital ward they separate you with a curtain. If they "take your bloods" at noble it is in a designated room but you are not separated so it seems totally unnecessary. I am not sure why there is such a demand for the airport and Douglas vaccination to be completed in such a rush as it appears that they will only be required from March when it appears that the IoM will start receiving much larger supplies of the vaccine. It seems in the meantime we are just going to receive a thousand doses here and there. The important thing is that they are ready when we need them not 4, 6 or 8 weeks before we need them but seeing how slow things proceed at times and that simple and cheap options are not chosen I can understand why people want to see them finished just so that for once the IoM Govt can actually meet a deadline.   

7 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

As this is only a 'temporary' structure surely it would have been cheaper and quicker to have curtain or polythene partitions? 

Also why use Ronaldsway when they could use an alternative such as nobles TT VIP tent, or as others have mentioned the Villa? 

Also why are they using the check in hall, do they anticipate having no flights this year? 

All the above are genuine questions, as it would seem that we are over engineering and spending too much time and money on something that appears quite simple. I am sure there are really good reasons for the current plan, but it would be nice to be told. Anybody?

They could’ve put a temporary marquee just about anywhere, old bus station site for example would have been ideal, but seeing as it’s been sold I very much doubt they’d want to rent their own land back.

• Like 1

A thought occurs - will they still be charging for parking at the airport for vaccinations?

Edit: Sorry, of course they bloody will. Don’t know what came over me. Probably put the price up knowing them

Edited by yorik
  • Haha 1

I would have thought the urgency of the situation should have overridden the administrations natural desire to balls things up whilst burning off more money unnecessarily ! FFS you are having it in the arm, not in the arse, a few portable screens would have done the job if anyone was that sensitive, I can't think of too many people objecting to rolling a sleeve up and getting inoculated ! I have to say the ability of Government to balls up even the simplest thing is breathtaking !

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

There seems to be a lot of comment about the numbers of those in the IoM who are 80+ who have already been vaccinated. The feeling appears that it is disappointing low but are we out of line with other countries. Jersey was reporting that of the first 3,590 people who had received the vacine only 734 were over 80. that is 15% of the 80+

I’m not sure the IOM have vaccinated anyone over 80 yet but maybe proved wrong, question in Tynwald next week asking how many over 80 vaccinated 

25 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It does seem bizarre using airport terminal especially if the situation does improve by say May and we want to use the terminal for actually checking in !!

Most places including Channel Islands are using sports halls, church halls etc eg NSC, Villa,etc

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

It does seem bizarre using airport terminal especially if the situation does improve by say May and we want to use the terminal for actually checking in !!

Most places including Channel Islands are using sports halls, church halls etc eg NSC, Villa,etc

You bet the feeling that travel restrictions may be in place for quite some time. I despair...

21 minutes ago, Banker said:

But the DoI doesn't own any of those and using facilities (even if much more suitable) belonging to other Departments might mean that they don't get their own way in everything.  Which is the only important thing.