Live Export Ban

GD4ELI

45 minutes ago, quilp said:

By golly Dangler's, I think you must be right! The British Veterinary Association, the RSPCA, various countries like Denmark and those shady animal welfare groups everywhere, are all just racists, anti-semites and greasy islamophobes! Who'd have thought! 

I'm not sure it is for people to judge how others slaughter animals given we actively breed, fatten and execute (After a relatively short life) animals for food.

5 hours ago, pongo said:

@quilpKosher slaughter when done correctly is no more or less inhumane than first stunning the poor frightened animal. And stunning is often not done correctly either.

Personally I would rather be swiftly dispatched.

It has been established that it is possible that clots can form on the severed   blood vessels when an animals throat is cut allowing the animal to remain conscious during ritual slaughter ( see Thornton's Textbook in meat inspection).

Stunning prior to slaughter has been permitted in halal slaughter when I worked as a meat inspector  ( way back in the 60's)

Normal slaughter involves stunning the animal by means of a captive bolt pistol or electrocution prior to the throat  being cut to bleed the animal .

I'm with Quilty in thinking that the animal should be stunned , the Kosher slaughter where the animal is held in a contraption that is then spun until the animal is on it's back in order to enable the throat  to be cut IMO puts the animal under greater stress. Just saying

ETA if the animal does retain consciousness  it's not a pretty sight and the flesh of the animal is not considered "Kosher".

Archived