Man Jailed For Attacking Gull!

the-rhymes

I would like to say that this has turned into a debate about the act of kick the gull. Which I think was wrong and very silly.

My point is that I do not think it is front page news. The newspaper represents the Island, it's viewed by people visiting the island as well as it's residents. In my opinion it makes us all look stupid/twee to have stories like this on the front cover.

I suppose it just representative of the stale journalism that seems to be produced on the Island.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lonan3, I think your right... :)

Alex & Glad to be back you also make sense.

Perhaps it is just to grab attention, it worked with me (I was duped). I don't really read tabloid newspapers, maybe I just have unreal expectations.

Don't worry Rhymes, you weren't duped; it was a hard headline to read without reading the whole story.

Whether it makes us look silly to the outside world, I don't know. We used to come over for holidays; when we were in the queue for the return boat journey at the end of one TT week, a crime report was read out on MR. One of the items was a man's jacket going missing from a pub! It did make us laugh but at the same time we were reassured that that was a crime worthy of reporting at the end of such a busy week.

I think 3 local papers in 1 week is just to much, as its the same in all of them, and if you took the car adverts out, it wouldn't even be enough to light the fire with, its all to get money out of us, maybe we should go to 2 a week or even 1.

But the baby seagull, I think it was a good thing to put on the front page especially if it stops anymore birds or animals being killed or hurt by humans. Its about time we took a harder view on crime whilst we still still can on the island we dont want to be like the UK, were as you get a slap on the wrist for being anti-social and a menace to society.

Didn't the article say he was caught on cctv or did I dream that

On the cull issue, what gives us the right to decide there's too many other species, what gives us the right to decide whether other living things are terminated or not just because of population, how about someone deciding there's too many of us and getting rid of the real scum of the earth

I think 3 local papers in 1 week is just to much, as its the same in all of them, and if you took the car adverts out, it wouldn't even be enough to light the fire with, its all to get money out of us, maybe we should go to 2 a week or even 1.

I agree that 3 papers owned by the same company may be too much. It would certainly be good to have one that was a little more independent - although it's probably not economically viable now.

I can remember a time when we had the choice of the Isle of Man Times, Examiner and Mona's Herald as 'weeklies,' plus the Daily Times and the Green Final as a weekly sports paper.

Also, if you care to look in the museum, you'll find that there was a time when the local papers reported Tynwald debates more or less verbatim.

My point is that I do not think it is front page news. The newspaper represents the Island, it's viewed by people visiting the island as well as it's residents. In my opinion it makes us all look stupid/twee to have stories like this on the front cover.

I suppose it just representative of the stale journalism that seems to be produced on the Island.

You clearly have no news sense.

Animal cruelty stories are some of the most emotive stories around and always attract a huge response from readers.

This thread itself has come to three pages - what does that say?

Archived