*****drugs Warning*****

FCMR

Ectasy dangerous? May I take you back a couple of years to an incident at the Cul-de-Sac in Douglas involving drink...

You do anything to excess and it will harm you. I don't recall anyone ever dying from having one pint of lager, yet I can recall people dying from their first (and only) pill. If you're going to make comparisons, at least make them relative.

I can also point out an instance of a person dying from eating one peanut. I also know people who have topped up and had 10 pills in one night no problems at all.

Sometimes people have bad reactions to some substances.

2001 Deaths atributed to Ectasy = 55

2001 Deaths atributed to paracetemol = 446

(source - Office for national statistics - UK)

Steve Barbour, a researcher with drugs charity Addaction on the use of Ectasy

"Many people are aware of the fact it might harm your health, but they also know that statistically there is a very slim chance of death compared with alcohol or even prescription drugs"

If your going to be a smarty pants, at least get the friggin point.

I don't condone the usage of drugs at all. I just think that from reading these threads you come across as very uneducated in this area with a 'my way or the highway' attitude that all drug taking is dirty and criminal and a so all users should be labelled as such.

The actual problem is a hell of alot wider than that and with people having attitudes like yours nothing will get solved. It is surely better to try and understand where these people are coming from and try and work with them to help them, rather than tarnishing them as outcasts of society. I would in fact be as bold to say that you will be in the minority of people who doesn't have some form of recreational drug usage.

It's not the drug users that need educating, it's the 'experts' who have never touched anything that need educating.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yet as I've mentioned, for a growing number of people, eating one single nut may kill you. Unlikely yes. Very small odds indeed but it can happen. So why would anyone ever risk eating one if there's the potential that the first time you do, you're a goner?

More to the point, if such a simple & common thing can be as deadly as an ectasy pill potentially can be (and probably more likely odds of it happening bearing in mind how more & more people are growing up allergic to more & more things these days), then why isn't our caring nanny state banning us from buying/eating them?

Why do they allow you to choose to risk your life eating a nut of all things, but not to potentially risk your life taking a pill?

May sound silly but it's not that daft really...

It's not the drug users that need educating, it's the 'experts' who have never touched anything that need educating.

I said I didn't use any now, not that I'd never done anything at all.

Some of us are smart enough to recognise when potential costs outweigh meagre rewards.

With an avatar like that are you saying drinking Guinness is wrong like murder/rape? Actually after 8 pints the morning has been murder...

With an avatar like this, I'm not actually saying anything. I'm not even saying it is a particularly well known stout.

I tried peanuts once.

Had a whole packet and nothing......nothing at all.

A damned swindle that was.

When I was a kid I once painstakingly removed the skins from a bag of peanuts as I read somewhere you could smoke them and get high and I wanted to see how that would feel (young & impressionable & all that). Naturally it did nothing except A) Taste a bit odd, and B ) Make me feel like a moron for believing it and going to the trouble.

Ah well.... :rolleyes:

No. I get my kicks from doing physical activities, creative art and spending time with my kids. 
good for you, i'm glad you can lead a life without having a pint or E or smack, it does you credit, you are obviously in the tiny, tiny minority though you must agree?

no change there then from when you were brought up, that attitude got nowhere back then either did it, ignorance is bliss, eh?

With no due respect, you don't know anything about how I was brought up, nor my own personal experiences, and you certainly have no idea of any attitudes I've held over the years.

If all these wonderful people who took drugs were actually wonderful people, they wouldn't need to artificially raise their own levels of self worth and improve their personality by taking them.

don't take that as a personal insult please, its the ignorance of your views thats in question, i too have a daughter, and whilst under no circumstance would i want her to be exposed to drugs when she grows up, i will be prepared for it if it were to happen, which you will not. your views, however well meaning, will not do any good, you have no idea about the subject, and will not be able to put forward any sort of sensible advice. your "all drugs are bad" point of view will be more likely to push your kids into the lure of a drug dealer than if you could put across a valid argument with valid advice. i worry for the safety of your kids mate.

you are obviously in the tiny, tiny minority though you must agree?

Absolute rubbish. Any night/weekend there are many more people at home behaving themselves than there are in the pubs and clubs drinking or taking drugs.

........bold to say that you will be in the minority of people who doesn't have some form of recreational drug usage.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I'm quite happy to be one of the minority who doesn't have some form of recreational drug usage! And as far as I'm concerned the only thing I need to know about drugs is that they are illegal and dangerous.

Archived