Manx Arcade - Fubar

Mission

Was probably all the Mahjong games I played trying to get back on the top spot :P

Yes unfortunately there is a problem where it is hosted at the moment. I believe engineers are looking into the problem. It effects all the sites hosted not just the arcade. :(

Hopefully it will be back up soon.

Damn, when I saw "Manx Arcade" as a topic I had hoped it would be about playing Vendetta or Bad Dudes at the Crescent.

I am disappointed. Start talking about the Crecent instead.

Start talking about the Crecent instead.

Remember that horse racing gamble thing? I think it's still there but I've not been in for a long time.

I spent 5 hours one afternoon when I was 11, jotting down the winners every time (as the game ran every minute regardless of whether someone put money in), convinced there would be a detectable pattern, based on the theory that there's no such thing as a computer generated random number. Either there was no pattern, or I didn't sample enough data or the pattern was dynamically changing according to the amount of winnings paid out, but I came away with writers cramp, a headache and no master plan for extra booze money.

Remember that horse racing gamble thing? I think it's still there but I've not been in for a long time.

Yes, yes I most certainly do! No amount of flashing lights and shrieking noises could tear me away from the horse racing gambling thing (it's new official name).

Sure, the jackpot was somewhere in the region of £3.40, but you had the thrill of pretending to be a down at heel old souse, betting his sixth mortgage on 'number six' or whatever. As opposed to going on the proper gamblers which was tantamount to admitting that you bought ascot trainers and lived in a skip with all eight step-siblings, all of them called 'Woz', or somesuch.

As opposed to going on the proper gamblers

When I was 13 I built a cheat device for the gamblers. One end was a light sensitive diode embedded in a short tube with an external switch. The other end, linked by insulated wire, was a housed solanoid attached to a plunger.

The theory being that you could place this covered diode onto the gambling machine at the point where it would be flashing 'Win' on a Win/Lose gamble. You'd press the external switch to activate the device and the solanoid would fire the plunger to depress the button to select win.

Unfortunately, I didn't take into account the fact that these machines cheat and will just jump to Lose even if you pressed it on Win based on the payout ratio for the day. So I was left drinking cheap wine and cider instead of spirits :(

• 5 weeks later...

Archived