General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

20 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Waste of time electing MHKs. It would make more sense to elect MHKs to keep everyone happy but then elect the CEOs of each department. Don't the USA do something like that with civil service heads?

The US certainly elects a lot more governmental officials. One place even elects their local dogcatcher.

I know that this isn't the place for serious ideas, but in the world where we are unlikely to fundamentally change our Westminster political system, a smaller or more achievable reform might be to have term limits on managers in the public service. That might help re-weight the power towards democratically-accountable MHKs, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Our political system is older than Westminster

Not in its current form.

The institution of Tynwald pre-dates Westminster, but the Tynwald of the 11th century is nothing like the Tynwald of the 21st century. The Tynwald of the 21st century is obviously a Westminster-derived form and model.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Josem said:

Not in its current form.

The institution of Tynwald pre-dates Westminster, but the Tynwald of the 11th century is nothing like the Tynwald of the 21st century. The Tynwald of the 21st century is obviously a Westminster-derived form and model.

Nah, cobber, they copied us.

45 minutes ago, Josem said:

The US certainly elects a lot more governmental officials. One place even elects their local dogcatcher.

I know that this isn't the place for serious ideas, but in the world where we are unlikely to fundamentally change our Westminster political system, a smaller or more achievable reform might be to have term limits on managers in the public service. That might help re-weight the power towards democratically-accountable MHKs, etc.

I've said on more than one occasion departmental CEOs should serve for a max of 5 years with a mandate to carry out Tynwald policy.... not their own! It works elsewhere in society so why not in public service? 

1 hour ago, Josem said:

Not in its current form.

The modern Westminster model is a party political parliamentary system, Tynwald clearly is not

Some precedents set in Westminster may be followed here, but government doesn't control the order paper in any of the chambers

Here's the then Speaker Rodan addressing the CPA on the unique character of Tynwald Court

https://www.tynwald.org.im/about/extact/cpa/Documents/Parliamentarian Issue One 2012.pdf

21 hours ago, Barlow said:

I wish Keiran all the best:

https://www.facebook.com/KH4MHK/

He must have thick skin, unfortunately unless he can convince those of a similar age to him to vote then the odds are truly stacked against him. I might be wrong with my assumption, but he doesn’t strike me as well educated/born with a silver spoon in his mouth, a regular church goer or a successful business man, I struggle to see how he’d fit in with the old boys club, he would be a true representation to those of a similar age to himself though.

5 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

He must have thick skin, unfortunately unless he can convince those of a similar age to him to vote then the odds are truly stacked against him. I might be wrong with my assumption, but he doesn’t strike me as well educated/born with a silver spoon in his mouth, a regular church goer or a successful business man, I struggle to see how he’d fit in with the old boys club, he would be a true representation to those of a similar age to himself though.

I reckon you are way off thinking he is typical of young people his age. Typical people are not wacky or using dope. Many are , but not the  majority . He would not have made Dinner Monitor at school , never mind Prefect. 
Screaming Lord Sutch of the IOM

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I reckon you are way off thinking he is typical of young people his age. Typical people are not wacky or using dope. Many are , but not the  majority . He would not have made Dinner Monitor at school , never mind Prefect. 
Screaming Lord Sutch of the IOM

The drug use is just one example of his background though isn’t it? which really isn’t the stereotypical background of someone who gets elected is it? but if he was elected maybe he could use that to his advantage? we both know he won’t get a chance though. As for the school type roles, that was only ever for the goody two shoes/privileged.

• Like 1