General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

1 hour ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Me either.

To clarify. There are plenty of mitigating factors. But... There are none with having 2000 indecent images of a child.

It’s a tough one, back in the days of downloading music/videos from less than legitimate sources I stumbled across quite a few ‘suspect’ videos labelled as something else entirely, I think the basis I couldn’t report it without incriminating myself was an issue, you could only report it as a bad download. I’ve no idea if that still goes on though but I would assume so, although it’s all been driven even further underground with the use of VPNs etc

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He’s a fully qualified and experienced Co-op shelf stacker, isn’t he?

I guess this sort of hubris on "experts" and "qualifications" - rather than the actual facts of the matter - is why your infamous chart turned out to be deeply wrong, and my charts are right. This is what happens when intellectual-yet-idiots run our political system with such arrogance towards outsiders.

It doesn't matter if you've the most credentialed person in the world, or you're a homeless guy who didn't finish school. It is the facts that matter, and true science is open, subject to scrutiny, and can be replicated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Josem said:

I guess this sort of hubris on "experts" and "qualifications" - rather than the actual facts of the matter - is why your infamous chart turned out to be deeply wrong, and my charts are right. This is what happens when intellectual-yet-idiots run our political system with such arrogance towards outsiders.

It doesn't matter if you've the most credentialed person in the world, or you're a homeless guy who didn't finish school. It is the facts that matter, and true science is open, subject to scrutiny, and can be replicated.

You do realise that you come across as one of the most hubristic people ever to stand for Tynwald?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Declan said:

You do realise that you come across as one of the most hubristic people ever to stand for Tynwald?

Oh, I'm sure that some people may think that way. I think that's because we live in an civilisation dominated by a fake expert political class, who take no accountability for any of their mistakes. Thus, it certainly takes a bit of confidence (or hubris!) to point out that the emperor is wearing no clothes.

For years, we've had politicians who lie and mislead us. You should be angry at those who have lied and misled, not the guy who points out the truth.

• Like 2

"9th worst affected country in THE WORLD" said data expert (as described the other day on The Paul Moultan Show) Michael Josem, leaping to early conclusions which were missing both context and err, almost all the data needed to make such conclusions.

Edited by TheTeapot

16 minutes ago, Josem said:

Oh, I'm sure that some people may think that way. I think that's because we live in an civilisation dominated by a fake expert political class, who take no accountability for any of their mistakes. Thus, it certainly takes a bit of confidence (or hubris!) to point out that the emperor is wearing no clothes.

For years, we've had politicians who lie and mislead us. You should be angry at those who have lied and misled, not the guy who points out the truth.

I am. You just strike me as the most extreme example of what you describe. You're basically a half baked Rob Callister.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"9th worst affected country in THE WORLD" said data expert (as described the other day on The Paul Moultan Show) Michael Josem, leaping to early conclusions which were missing both context and err, almost all the data needed to make such conclusions.

I admire your consistency to keep telling the same lie, and to put your lie in quotes, to deceive other people into thinking it was an actual quote.

Every time that I have even used the word "country" on Twitter is available here. Every time I have used "9th" on twitter is available here. Of course your fake quote doesn't exist.

What I have said - and continue to believe - is that for a long time, the Isle of Man had one of the highest death rates in the world. That wasn't something that I decided, that was what the data showed at the time. Indeed, even today, despite having had just one death in the last 6 months, we still have suffered a death rate slightly above the global average according to independent measurement (293 deaths per million in IOM v 279 deaths per million globally as I type this).

The closest thing I could find to your fake quote is this from 24 April, 2020, when I said:

This is terrible. The Isle of Man now has around 216 deaths per million, putting it on the verge of entering the worst ten jurisdictions in the world for deaths per capita:

https://worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

(usual disclaimer about different countries counting deaths differently etc)

:

image.thumb.png.3830d69ffc548ca59eeaff0e8442d3fe.png

• Like 1