General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

41 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

You don't have to be a "shill" to challenge someone about putting themselves forward.  After all, by your own admission, you have spent thirty years observing (moaning about) issues yet done absolutely zero to make a change.

Ignoring that though - so what would you do? What's your utopian September election?

Let's imagine all 24 MHKs are binned now.  You've got a blank sheet of paper.

Who are your MHKs?  Give me some examples of the people you would expect.

You are a bit like that guy notwell who used to post on here ! Until we know who is going to stand and what they stand for no one can predict what the make up of a government might be. Perhaps you could alliterate what you have done to encourage change, at least moaning has some effect, or at least it might do if the government of the day were the least bit bothered about what the electorate think after the election. Lets just hope we get new blood we as an electorate can elect at least with some optimism. The last time I voted to keep someone out not vote someone in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, asitis said:

if the government of the day were the least bit bothered about what the electorate think after the election.

They are not interested in the general feelings towards them by the public as they can and do often collectively feel they are 'hard done by' and that comes with the territory. 

The sense of superiority and arrogance, not least sometimes the testosterone, does across quite strongly at times, suggesting that it is a personal ego boosting experience rather than it being a privilege to serve the public.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

You are a bit like that guy notwell who used to post on here ! Until we know who is going to stand and what they stand for no one can predict what the make up of a government might be. Perhaps you could alliterate what you have done to encourage change, at least moaning has some effect, or at least it might do if the government of the day were the least bit bothered about what the electorate think after the election. Lets just hope we get new blood we as an electorate can elect at least with some optimism. The last time I voted to keep someone out not vote someone in.

I'm not sure if I "sound" like anyone but calling you out shouldn't be anything a number of people wouldn't do.

I didnt ask you to predict anything.  I said, you've got a clean sheet of paper.  Everyone has been binned.   I've asked YOU what your answer is? Who are your perfect candidates.  You've had 30 years of observing who shouldn't be an MHK.

So who should be? 

As for what I've done to encourage change - it isn't my job to.  I dont massively care about politics per se and of course I realise that the main workings of government are at a senior level in the civil service.  A place I've no interest in working because it wouldn't suit the things that I am very good at.  

The reasons, in my view, it is difficult to make any kind of change quickly is not because of politicians.  They are really just placed into various departments but with no real power.  But employment law is such these days that it is hard to remove underperforming staff.    I have no idea how the civil service operates at a senior level in relation to KPIs.   But that is the only real way to effect change.  Remove underperforming people.  Either manage them up to the performance they should be at or manage them out 

One of the mandates of a new government should be to look at that framework.  That's your starting point to change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The 16 - 21 administration saw a lot of new faces voted in that were going to be the start of a new era in Manx politics, if my memory serves me. New blood, new beginnings, new brushes sweeping clean. Is that what has happened?

I've quietly noted some of Alf's utterings over the last 6+ months, "Poor records on delivery", the recent Budget points to include outlining/highlighting Longworth's buses profligacy, the new proposals (note, proposals) on Capital funding because of the "unwieldy, inefficient" system currently in place. 

I say "note proposals" because doubtless there will be any number of Govt jobs, careers, sub-depts and empires predicated on those unwieldy inefficiencies which will fight tooth and nail to maintain their privilege. Which is why it's gone on for so long. There'll have to be all sorts of consultations and giveaways before this happens.

Alf will be in for a fight if he thinks he's going to implement change like a walk in the park. Change will be resisted no matter who stands at the next election.

As I’ve mentioned previously Bill Shimmins and Alf have been trying to cut the over spending for a while but it’s been blocked by the CoMin gang of Harmer, Baker, Cregeen & Boot supported by Howie. If Alf becomes CM and Bill his treasury minister I would expect changes and belt tightening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apple said:

With all due respect the questions are easy. 

It's the answers (or lack of detail in them) that is important.

Politicians now have become adept at obfuscation and evasion. Most of them plainly just "do not know" but think that answer is a sign of failure. 

I am not suggesting they should be able to predict the circumstances the island will face during their term (as if) but the greater involvement by the public in meeting the needs of that public, (both legally, strategically and in policy) needs to have a higher  profile now.

Those questions probably matter not one jot to sitting candidates. Any aspiring candidates however should have the ability and thought process to work out how they are going to resolve. It won't be easy as we all know, once they take the shilling they forget about their constituents for the next four years

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 4:04 PM, Manxtoffee said:

I don’t understand the adoration some people have for Cretney, but I know there are a lot who like him, so landing a column doesn’t surprise me. Agreeable chap maybe, but the only thing I gather from his services to the Isle of Man is that he was around a long time and didn’t upset too many folks. And since leaving he’s been lauded for doing his job... that he was paid to do... without too many f*ck ups... for a long period of time? I don’t get the fuss. 

Only bloke who can work in his own shop behind counter for decades earning there while paid to piss in a pot through 80s 90s and 00s in politics.
only really showing up in TT or events.  Moved on to DJ spots to canvas public misunderstanding that he is available politician once shop shut.    Then spent years posting pictures of his walking..walking walking as he worked part time on full pay as MLC. 

I doubt he can walk far carrying that pension...  it must be heavy to carry. 
he is everything that is wrong with this island since the 80s.  No wonder his daughter fancies a slice of that cake.   I will not be surprised if the daft Douglas voters give it to her with a cherry on top because daddy said so.

reminds me of the Moffat dynasty, didn’t they give him a newspaper slot as well.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, buncha wankas said:

Only bloke who can work in his own shop behind counter for decades earning there while paid to piss in a pot through 80s 90s and 00s in politics.
only really showing up in TT or events.  Moved on to DJ spots to canvas public misunderstanding that he is available politician once shop shut.    Then spent years posting pictures of his walking..walking walking as he worked part time on full pay as MLC. 

I doubt he can walk far carrying that pension...  it must be heavy to carry. 
he is everything that is wrong with this island since the 80s.  No wonder his daughter fancies a slice of that cake.   I will not be surprised if the daft Douglas voters give it to her with a cherry on top because daddy said so.

reminds me of the Moffat dynasty, didn’t they give him a newspaper slot as well.  

Fully agree.

Post of the week, for me.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 11:52 AM, Roxanne said:

Maybe that’s why the young ones are standing. To change the way it works because, right now it doesn’t work. It’s ripe for the opposite of work. I’d like to think that if they get in they will be a vehicle for change - especially if enough of them get in. 

Totally agree, the young now a days are smart educated and pro active.   The old way of thinking age gives experience is rubbish .   Says Me as an old fart with a beer belly. 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, Roxanne said:

There are a lot more young people coming forward this time. They’re doing something about it. Let’s support them not pull them down. They’re trying at least and they’re not part of the old boys club. Even more, a lot of them are smart, articulate, and have integrity. This is the first sign of real change for years. Let’s not spoil it with negativity. Let’s support them instead. 

Some of them are a little idealistic though and lack a little reality. It's easy to say what we should be doing, another thing to pay for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Some of them are a little idealistic though and lack a little reality. It's easy to say what we should be doing, another thing to pay for it.

Can’t do worse than shopkeepers and such like which we have now.  The only one who has done well this term is that Bob a job Rob Callmesir these past 5 years is the longest he has held down employment.  

2 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Can’t do worse than shopkeepers and such like which we have now.  The only one who has done well this term is that Bob a job Rob Callmesir these past 5 years is the longest he has held down employment.  

Though we get a chance to sack him in September this year.