General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

21 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’m loving all of this even though it has nothing to do with elections. You’re talking about all my old stomping grounds here and it’s bringing back lots of lovely memories. I was ‘adopted’ by the Garretts in one of those farms up the hill. It was a lovely time in my life and they included me in all the old Manx celebrations including the visits to the chapel - keel - as you talk about. So much cake. 

Such lovely people. True Manx farmers with encyclopaedic knowledge of times past. Could listen to George tell a story all day.  

11 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Aye, renewable energy everywhere... nothing new under the sun as they say.

The amount of small rivers we have and old mill races that could be dug out and put back into use makes me wonder about things like this

https://www.thecivilengineer.org/news-center/latest-news/item/1560-special-hydropower-plant-can-be-deployed-in-a-week-and-could-power-up-to-60-homes

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

The great Grenaby thread hijack continues - this one is especially for you Roxanne.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/gazateer/grenaby.htm

Did you notice Roxanne that there were once (see the map) cottages alongside the property you occupied, extending down the hill to opposite the bridge? Perhaps occupied by workers at the mill. Funnily enough, I’ve periodically wondered about the funny triangular shaped verge that goes nowhere at Cross Four Ways outside Ballasalla. It looks odd. I’ve recently seen seen a photo provided by a friend - from the iMuseum I think - showing a little row of cottages there too. I think I’ll spend some time on a ‘then and now’ map project!

Edited to add - a quick scan of the iMuseum records Roxanne reveals a photo dating from 1958 of the property you occupied, describing it as ‘The Old Smithy’. Don’t think I knew that.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Did you notice Roxanne that there were once (see the map) cottages alongside the property you occupied, extending down the hill to opposite the bridge? Perhaps occupied by workers at the mill. Funnily enough, I’ve periodically wondered about the funny triangular shaped verge that goes nowhere at Cross Four Ways outside Ballasalla. It looks odd. I’ve recently seen seen a photo provided by a friend - from the iMuseum I think - showing a little row of cottages there too. I think I’ll spend some time on a ‘then and now’ map project!

Edited to add - a quick scan of the iMuseum records Roxanne reveals a photo dating from 1958 of the property you occupied, describing it as ‘The Old Smithy’. Don’t think I knew that.

The smithy/forge building at Cross Four Ways was there until at least mid 80’s, diagonally opposite the Harp Inn.

• Like 3

On 3/12/2021 at 9:50 AM, TheTeapot said:

One of the things that always strikes me looking at old maps is the amount of water works there used to be. There's a mill race down there too, running Grenaby cornmill. Who knew?

And paper mills. Paper mills all around the Island, apparently.

23 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Tables of it. Covered. All home made.  I never saw as much in all my life. And tea, buckets of it.

The first time I brought my father to see the tiny cottage, when we arrived at the door his first comment was, “You could die out here and no one would find you for weeks!”.

Changed days now I’m guessing. 

Actually a lot of chapels and churches though fewer in number still have summer fairs and other special days full of what you talk about. Many though are a means to an end.... funding for charities.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The smithy/forge building at Cross Four Ways was there until at least mid 80’s, diagonally opposite the Harp Inn.

Incredibly I have no recollection of that smithy/forge but I was aware that the white cottage opposite was previously the Harp Inn. Would anyone happen to know when it ceased to be a pub? Way back I guess.

24 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Incredibly I have no recollection of that smithy/forge but I was aware that the white cottage opposite was previously the Harp Inn. Would anyone happen to know when it ceased to be a pub? Way back I guess.

I’m sure Frances Coakley’s Manx Note Book on Isle-of-Man.com will list it under Malew with dates of change of licensee.  From memory ( reading about it - I’m not that old) it’s not been licensed since 1860’ish

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

1920, apparently

09113E2D-FB4C-4B5A-80F4-E255E8A2BBAC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1