General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

His CM election, as identified many times on these pages, was all a fit up, enabled by the craven bastards in LegCo and facilitated by by Rodan’s smoke and mirrors. 

Rodan either turned a blind eye or was totally ignorant of Tynwald voting procedures. It remains to be the biggest constitutional feck ups of the early 21stC. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, code99 said:

The Island is sort of stuck in the rut.

This is it. Totally agree.

It has become too comfortable for too many at the top end. There has never been a more important time for significant challenge and in depth scrutiny of how things work and the need for the same benefits for all. 

For example - we have equality legislation but is it fairly applied ? Not in my view. We have legislation for health and social care scrutiny but does it now achieve what it was set up for ? Again, not in my view. We have outdated legislation in several areas and the practices that emanate from that are rooted in history and do not meet standards expected or required from society. (Just realised - the standards of safety for the TT are updated probably annually or. there would be a public outcry)

Courage to challenge can attract much criticism as a trouble maker in some Govt circles and the term 'Independent' is often inappropriately applied. There is no such Independence and can never be due to the levers of influence that have been built up over the years. The "scratch my back etc"  attitudes in some semi Govt circles is indicative of the inter dependence that has fostered over the years. Sometimes though it is appropriate and has served society well. At other times, it impedes constructive debate as any criticism usually ends with ......there's a boat etc,

The IoM has the history, tradition and scenery that anywhere should be rightly proud of. Many people should be congratulated for their endeavours and hard work, mostly voluntary and to philanthropy, to build some of the public amenities and services now in place. 

Maybe it is time to set new targets, new goals rather than dither around with old ways of thinking. Comfort and complacency can lead to stagnation if we let it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Rodan either turned a blind eye or was totally ignorant of Tynwald voting procedures.

Neither of which should be his gift, given his position (and salary). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I wonder whereabouts on the "Gong-o-meter" Howard will find himself in the New Year?

Has he surpassed all expectations and hit the jackpot with Knighthood? Will he be swimming around with the great unwashed with an MBE? or will he tick the midground of OBE/CBE?

Thoughts please...

He should get a FRO if you ask me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I wonder whereabouts on the "Gong-o-meter" Howard will find himself in the New Year?

Has he surpassed all expectations and hit the jackpot with Knighthood? Will he be swimming around with the great unwashed with an MBE? or will he tick the midground of OBE/CBE?

Thoughts please...

Judging by the sort of people that Boris has and hasn't put there, it may even be that Quayle has been so incompetent and venal that he could end up in the House of Lords.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Apple said:

This is it. Totally agree.

It has become too comfortable for too many at the top end. There has never been a more important time for significant challenge and in depth scrutiny of how things work and the need for the same benefits for all. 

For example - we have equality legislation but is it fairly applied ? Not in my view. We have legislation for health and social care scrutiny but does it now achieve what it was set up for ? Again, not in my view. We have outdated legislation in several areas and the practices that emanate from that are rooted in history and do not meet standards expected or required from society. (Just realised - the standards of safety for the TT are updated probably annually or. there would be a public outcry)

Courage to challenge can attract much criticism as a trouble maker in some Govt circles and the term 'Independent' is often inappropriately applied. There is no such Independence and can never be due to the levers of influence that have been built up over the years. The "scratch my back etc"  attitudes in some semi Govt circles is indicative of the inter dependence that has fostered over the years. Sometimes though it is appropriate and has served society well. At other times, it impedes constructive debate as any criticism usually ends with ......there's a boat etc,

The IoM has the history, tradition and scenery that anywhere should be rightly proud of. Many people should be congratulated for their endeavours and hard work, mostly voluntary and to philanthropy, to build some of the public amenities and services now in place. 

Maybe it is time to set new targets, new goals rather than dither around with old ways of thinking. Comfort and complacency can lead to stagnation if we let it. 

Commonly agreed goals, not those of property developers & their cronies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2021 at 8:05 AM, code99 said:

Agreed, but here in-lies the problem; the GMP keeps electing a few too many ‘turnips’.

MHKs rely on civil servant and experts’ advice in order to make their decisions. But what happens, when these so-called experts also turn out to be ‘turnips’? It certainly looks that way with the Prom project and that won’t be the last project that suffers similar fate, IMHO.

The Island is sort of stuck in the rut. It will take a small number of exceptionally capable individuals to break this vicious cycle. On the other hand, while we are waiting for this turnaround to occur, the proverbial unexpected “events” may just blow us off course to such extent that larger political reforms will not only be necessary, they will become inevitable.    

Excellent post! 

It continues to amaze me that so many CEO’s and Directors (so-called experts) of departments, are still retained in their roles after such blatant failures under their watch. There are plenty of recent instances to substantiate this.

We undoubtedly have some excellent CEO’s, who work tirelessly for the betterment of the island, but there are a few that have been winging it for many years. Unfortunately because of the low calibre Ministers that have been fronting these departments, they have been able to thrive after frivolous spending and project fuck-ups - DOI is the obvious department that constantly frustrates our community. 

DHSC, has been problematic every year since Anderson told the Standards and Members Interests Committee, that ‘he was badly let down by his CE’ (David Killip), and the committee concluded serious shortcomings in the senior management at Nobles. Then we had the embarrassing Charters period with HQ and Co going to NZ for nigh on a month with little end result. Now we have Magson running the show remotely, and under her watch she seems to be throwing as much shit as possible at Abbotswood hoping something will stick, we have the Dr R Glover situation, and now the IOMSP debacle, with Woodward suggesting that crews have been treated like criminals, and Ugland asking for an apology. It appears to me that we definitely do have a few turnips within government, Lars Ugland would probably call them swedes.

ETA: The public really needs to question what have the MHK’s in their area actually achieved, and think hard before voting for them again - Cregeen, Moorhouse and Watterson spring to mind.

Edited by Will Halsall
  • Like 7

Will is entirely correct, if we are to rise phoenix like from the clusterfucks of the last few years, daylight needs shining in on Manx political life and Civil Service performance. Too many useless tools have been able to hide behind the veil of secrecy which pervades all Government do, commercial confidentiality, or rather " do one we are not going to tell you" has cost the island millions in poor decisions and unaccountability underpins poor performance and mismanagement. Politicians and Civil Servants should be held to the standards of everyone else, in other words either do your job or get out.

Appointments also need opening up to close scrutiny, by god we have recruited some turnips which I feel the UK wouldn't touch with a barge pole. As always the taxpayers pick up the tab!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Rodan either turned a blind eye or was totally ignorant of Tynwald voting procedures. It remains to be the biggest constitutional feck ups of the early 21stC. 

No so much a feck up as a con trick I'd say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

The public really needs to question what have the MHK’s in their area actually achieved, and think hard before voting for them again - Cregeen, Moorhouse and Watterson spring to mind.

The list of current incumbents about whom the electorate need to ask questions is significantly longer than simply those three.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The list of current incumbents about whom the electorate need to ask questions is significantly longer than simply those three.

Sorry for highjacking your link but speaking of questions:

Tynwald 18th May 

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/opqp/2021-PP-0116.pdf

18 minutes ago, Apple said:

Sorry for highjacking your link but speaking of questions:

Tynwald 18th May 

https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/opqp/opqp/2021-PP-0116.pdf

"The Hon. Member of the Council, Mr Henderson, to ask the Chief Minister (Minister for the Cabinet Office) – What plans he has to take powers to prohibit drivers of vehicles from leaving the engines running when there is no good reason to do so[...]"

Honestly I stopped reading at this point....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

There are several WTF questions from Henderson in there.  I can't help suspecting they are designed to fill up question time so that Ministers don't have to face awkward ones from other members.

Lord-Brennan has also got eight questions in her bid to conquer the West, though to be fair she was always the MLC who asked most consistently anyway.  (And to honest Henderson does also have some record of this - usually on vaguely green matters).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

"The Hon. Member of the Council, Mr Henderson, to ask the Chief Minister (Minister for the Cabinet Office) – What plans he has to take powers to prohibit drivers of vehicles from leaving the engines running when there is no good reason to do so[...]"

Since his re-election he was remained quiet. No rocking the boat. He must be following Ann Corlett, the Sound of Silence. 

Gary Jackboots the Chief CUNTSTABLE will like that question as if it’s legislated for, would provide another money raising stream. With all these roadworks, traffic lights and jams, there are plenty to fine. The Green lobby will love it. 

Edited by 2112