General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

14 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

To make this easier to understand for the likes of me, can we break the parishes down into world cup groups. Which is the group of death and which parish is the group of sleep? 

Peel - 2 sitting ministers, 1 former minister (and ex MHK/MLC),  a sitting MLC, the Green Party, whatever Trevor Cowin is, and another - Group of Death

Douglas Central - Group of Sleep

• Like 1

With nominations opening on Wednesday, the number of candidates having announced they are standing is now 60 - still down on 2016 (63).  Of course people may withdraw as well as emerge at the last minute.  Though as Ramsey has shown over the weekend things can change fast.

Unlike the local elections, when it went from a quarter to 40%, the percentage of women candidates hasn't shifted much.   It was 21%  in 2106 and is only 23% now.  Though 2016 was well up on previous elections were the percentage was usually in the low teens.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, Roger Mexico said:

With nominations opening on Wednesday, the number of candidates having announced they are standing is now 60 - still down on 2016 (63).  Of course people may withdraw as well as emerge at the last minute.  Though as Ramsey has shown over the weekend things can change fast.

Unlike the local elections, when it went from a quarter to 40%, the percentage of women candidates hasn't shifted much.   It was 21%  in 2106 and is only 23% now.  Though 2016 was well up on previous elections were the percentage was usually in the low teens.

I've only just started my Manifesto so unfortunately unless there is a miracle I think it will be the next administration until it's time for me to stand up for and on behalf of the Island's young people.

I'll be the equivalent of HM Sole, but with an increase on the following things:

• I promise to have more than one brain cell.
  • I promise not to dress like an absolute whopper.
  • I promise not to put on an American accent.

Any further suggestions well in advance welcomed.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, Roger Mexico said:

It was a few elections ago when a chap phoned the Mannin Line (maybe David Callister was presenter) and proclaimed that the Isle of Man should celebrate being the first country to give women the vote, by taking it off them.

It was a strong Manx accent and the comedic timing was impeccable to the extent that it sounded absolutely genuine

The worrying thing for me, with candidates standing on the climate change card, is that whilst we should all be aware of the problem and potential solutions, it wouldn’t matter if the population of the island spend 24/7 farting fresh air. Nothing we do here will make the slightest bit of difference and we shouldn’t be spending money on schemes, while people are homeless and/or hungry.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Lightening McQueen said:

The worrying thing for me, with candidates standing on the climate change card, is that whilst we should all be aware of the problem and potential solutions, it wouldn’t matter if the population of the island spend 24/7 farting fresh air. Nothing we do here will make the slightest bit of difference and we shouldn’t be spending money on schemes, while people are homeless and/or 

Trouble is, just about every country could say the same. Global problems require collective action, with every country doing their bit. Your argument is the same as an individual littering on the grounds that their little bit won't make any difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2