General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

17 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Hi, 

Keiran here. My hobbies or how I earn pennies should not make you less likely to vote for me. If that was the case, I could try and become a millionaire who accepts back hands for fun to make you more comfortable? 

Judge me for my plans foreward or my big mouth ... Maybe? 

Yes. I do have thick skin. Yes I will be fighting for the little man. And yes, I am fighting for cannabis.... But so much more too. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=104267805010261&id=102257088544666&sfnsn=mo

Judge for yourselves. 

Ps. Nice one Wrighty.

Hi Keiran, with the greatest of respect there is so few regular members on MF now that you’d be wise not to waste to much time here, if you can get younger folk to vote for you then you stand a chance.

People will judge you on just about everything though, especially in the public eye, from your appearance, your education, the way you talk, write, your hobbies and just about everything else, you only have to see how much stick those currently elected get to see what your letting yourself in for and they’ve had a much easier ride in life.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It’s a shame we only get offered surgery as the last resort, I’m having similar issues, the leg is causing knee issues, which will ultimately lead to hip issues in the future, it’s like a chain reaction and will only be fixed when the pain isn't manageable on pain killers (likely to cause heart/ other organ problems long term).

Surgery is not a last resort - it’s more complex than that. Sometimes it’s a first resort, if that’s a phrase. If an early operation will prevent later problems it’ll be done. But it’s generally not that simple. 

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Surgery is not a last resort - it’s more complex than that. Sometimes it’s a first resort, if that’s a phrase. If an early operation will prevent later problems it’ll be done. But it’s generally not that simple. 

Yeah I see that, if I was involved in a road accident I would’ve been fixed up straight away, at the moment it’s a case of following a treatment plan and that has to be completely exhausted before anything else will be considered, the chain/process has to be followed and for me surgery is the last process they will consider.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Hi Keiran, with the greatest of respect there is so few regular members on MF now that you’d be wise not to waste to much time here, if you can get younger folk to vote for you then you stand a chance.

People will judge you on just about everything though, especially in the public eye, from your appearance, your education, the way you talk, write, your hobbies and just about everything else, you only have to see how much stick those currently elected get to see what your letting yourself in for and they’ve had a much easier ride in life.

So it should be too

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:
2 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Thankfully the section of society who label people because of such things are gradually disappearing. 

Are they? Been to Tynwald lately. All smartly dressed in suits and some in wigs and stuff.

Can't wear jeans and T shirts I don't think? 

17 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

People will judge you on just about everything though, especially in the public eye, from your appearance, your education, the way you talk...

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So it should be too

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Where is that expressed ?

There.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Are they? Been to Tynwald lately. All smartly dressed in suits and some in wigs and stuff.

Can't wear jeans and T shirts I don't think? 

Which is why it needs someone to get in and break the mould. Ideally more than one. Quite how that will happen in 2021 I'm not sure. We need to encourage more of our young into understanding how important voting is. Recent events (Covid, to a lesser extent here Brexit) might have an impact. I'd certainly say there are a lot more young people paying attention now than when I was that age.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Thankfully the section of society who label people because of such things are gradually disappearing. 

The Class divide is very much alive and well, I would say we have an increasing generation that aren’t religious and aren’t interested in politics but it will still be 20-30 years before we see them come through.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Which is why it needs someone to get in and break the mould. Ideally more than one. Quite how that will happen in 2021 I'm not sure. We need to encourage more of our young into understanding how important voting is. Recent events (Covid, to a lesser extent here Brexit) might have an impact. I'd certainly say there are a lot more young people paying attention now than when I was that age.

Brexit caused a massive shake up, ironically the people who it affected the most were those who were overall less likely to vote, now we now the consequences and it has caused a bit of stir.

3 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I hope you're right, I really do. We need as many revolutionaries as possible. 

We have some level of independence and what do we use it for? Making rich people richer. 

What have we achieved politically in the last 40 years? Votes for 16 year olds and little else. 

We need a change from the lazy unimaginative politics which we've all grown used to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chris C said:

I hope you're right, I really do. We need as many revolutionaries as possible. 

We have some level of independence and what do we use it for? Making rich people richer. 

What have we achieved politically in the last 40 years? Votes for 16 year olds and little else. 

We need a change from the lazy unimaginative politics which we've all grown used to.

Up the Tooting Front and all that  eh ?