General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I get that. But like you I have kids, and think of how it is for them starting out adult life. Middle aged greying men may not represent them as well as they do you or I. 

But those with clear heads each day may be preferable to someone floating in on a cloud of pot. Can’t speak for you , but my two have fuck all in common with this idiot. They are of a similar age, but a million miles away from his thinking. Thank fuck

Just now, dilligaf said:

my two have fuck all in common with this idiot.

You know you're being a bit of a dickhead right?

Also "clear heads each day"? How many of our current MHKs drink regularly? I know you grew up in the "reefer madness" propaganda, but you know things have moved on a little since then right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HeliX said:

You know you're being a bit of a dickhead right?

Also "clear heads each day"? How many of our current MHKs drink regularly? I know you grew up in the "reefer madness" propaganda, but you know things have moved on a little since then right?

Please  explain  why I am being a dickhead .

My kids don’t drink, smoke or take drugs. Is that what the problem is ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

No, the problem is that you're railing against someone who wants to do right by the island and its inhabitants just because you object to his past, his appearance and his occasional bit of weed. And worse than that, you're now calling him an idiot for those things, saying his only chance of votes is "sympathy votes" even though many young will agree with many of his policies, and generally coming full-bore at someone who's doing their damnedest to be honest and open and improve the place they live.

It's just a bit.. dicky innit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

No, the problem is that you're railing against someone who wants to do right by the island and its inhabitants just because you object to his past, his appearance and his occasional bit of weed. And worse than that, you're now calling him an idiot for those things, saying his only chance of votes is "sympathy votes" even though many young will agree with many of his policies, and generally coming full-bore at someone who's doing their damnedest to be honest and open and improve the place they live.

It's just a bit.. dicky innit?

No . Not at all  . Do you have principles ?  Do today’s kids have principals? 
No thought not. That is the basis of your future  government?  Well done.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

No . Not at all  . Do you have principles ?  Do today’s kids have principals? 
No thought not. That is the basis of your future  government?  Well done.

I have many principles. One of them is to let someone explain their positions before critiquing their positions, rather than laying into someone based on their past and appearance.

Yes, today's kids have principles. As you've undoubtedly noticed (and complained about) re: climate change, anti-racism, etc.

We agree on almost nothing. That's not a surprise nor new. But normally you're at least a bit reasonable about things.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

If your kids did do drugs, do you think they’d actually tell you? Fairly sure most parents think their kids haven’t touched drugs, well until they’ve been caught obviously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

We need political representatives like Keiran. 

He’s certainly equally if not more welcome than the ‘gentleman’ farmer you allude to. Keiran’s challenge is to sell his left of centre agenda in the Isle of Man’s distinctly right of centre market place.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

The Class divide is very much alive and well, I would say we have an increasing generation that aren’t religious and aren’t interested in politics but it will still be 20-30 years before we see them come through.

The powerhouse is the executive. Backbenchers' can shout as much as they like, however reflect back and you'll see the best they can do is either directly 'shame' or indirectly 'influence' CoMin into thinking the idea is their own. That is the reality of things. 

Now look to the executive. Degrees, Masters even. Many from a place of privilege and privately educated. Nearly all logical thinkers (accountancy, audit, doctor etc...) And masons and living hope... 

Even if libvan/Manx Labour get the imagined seats won't make no difference while theirs all them posh folk up top. Maybe they should go 'back to the floor' before making social policy? That might be good for the next administration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1