General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I probably should have, but I was a bit nuts back then, they probably wouldn't have believed me. I can't remember her name, or what I was even in trouble for.

The possibilities are endless...

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Every Deemster I know bends over backwards to assist an unrepresented litigator. .

That's drivel and you know it. If you don't then you've just shown yourself to be so out of touch, almost laughably so. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

My legal aid lawyer had been on the gin, 9.30 in the morning. 

Accordingly to one prominent poster on the forums, there are advocates who like a cannabis joint before going to work in the morning..

And I wouldn't doubt it. It explains a lot.

Edited by Barlow

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Every Deemster I know bends over backwards to assist an unrepresented litigator. First by encouraging and assisting them find representation. Then by guiding them to areas of importance and relevance.

Ive sat as a Tribunal Chairman for 25 years. That’s what I’ve always done. In some areas I’ve campaigned for legally aided non means tested representation.

If I feel it’s a case where the appellant was unrepresented and the issue important enough I’d even ask AG’s to sort out a lawyer to advise the court. 

That is not the experience of unrepresented parties I'm aware of. At all. The deemsters don't seem to notice or care, let alone offer assistance or guidance. 

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Accordingly... ...there are advocates who like a cannabis joint before going to work in the morning. I wouldn't doubt it. It explains a lot.

What would it explain, exactly..? 

Edited by quilp
Edition

Pretty sure Josum said he wouldn’t rule out running, nor rule out running in Douglas South. But after the election he said he would run elsewhere. It’s going to be tough to unseat Christian and Quine I think. But he’s a good guy and would be a good asset in government. 

There's a long way to go before the General Election and for a newcomer and someone willing to learn and gain experience I think Keiran Hannifin gave a good account of himself:

• Thanks 1

I have just watched Mr Hannifin being interviewed by Paul Moulton in his car, (his own car not PM’s) on MT TV or whatever it’s called. I have to say if you take that interview on its own he seems a decent, intelligent guy (I am talking about Hannifin) and should not be written off as some sort of maverick whether or not you agree with his utterances thus far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I think he’s a hoot. Vote him in  say. 

Don't vote me in just for being a hoot. That is how you get a boris Johnson.

Vote me in because of you believe I will better represent your views than then next man/woman.

Or, if you don't. I actively encourage you to vote against me.

Though, that being said I am ALSO a hoot 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I have just watched Mr Hannifin being interviewed by Paul Moulton in his car, (his own car not PM’s) on MT TV or whatever it’s called. I have to say if you take that interview on its own he seems a decent, intelligent guy (I am talking about Hannifin) and should not be written off as some sort of maverick whether or not you agree with his utterances thus far.

Yeah agreed. Seems down to earth and well rounded. I look forward to seeing more, as time goes on.

• Thanks 1