General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

You can't really compare the two, but your point stands.

Doing the right thing regarding the Solway Harvester was in the international eye. The sad event of the  Mersey disaster was unfortunately more a local thing. It should have been  far more important. In my personal opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

I seem to remember Dudley Butt was instrumental in making a noise loud enough until the government had to listen with regard to the Solway Harvester.  Perhaps no-one took up the cause of the plane in the Mersey loud enough?

For very obvious reasons 

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe using the services of an aging pilot with health issues. A heart attack while flying wasn’t what the family or health professionals envisaged. Just saying

Bit like bus and lorry drivers.... no one expects them to have heart attacks either but it happens. 

22 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

In what circumstances would that happen and how often? I don't think I've ever read/heard of that happening.

There was an instance where a man lost his 2 lads to mdma overdoses in the uk. That's one from the top of my head.  Though, I can't confirm there was a manx report done. I could find out though. 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin

24 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

There was an instance where a man lost his 2 lads to mdma overdoses in the uk. That's one from the top of my head.  Though, I can't confirm there was a manx report done. I could find out though. 

There was definitely an inquest in the UK (in Bolton) but it got quite a lot of local coverage, so it may be that which you are thinking of.  I don't think there would be any need for an additional local one.

Actually there is very little media coverage of local inquests (less so than the UK).  In the suicide enquiry I think Jayne Hughes said she had never seen a reporter at once of those she had carried out.

17 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe using the services of an aging pilot with health issues. A heart attack while flying wasn’t what the family or health professionals envisaged. Just saying

The AAIB wasn’t conclusive one way or the other about a heart attack. He had an enlarged heat ventricle on one side. But he’d passed his annual pilots medical, including ECG, not long before the accident and there was no post mortem evidence of damage consistent with myocardial infarction 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

So can you tell me why the incident wasn't given the attention it apparently merited?

As I say, there was a full AAIB investigation and report. What else would you look for?

When Brian Kreisky died it was just the same. AAIB takes precedence over Coroner.

There was huge local publicity at the time, and again when the report came out.

58 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Thanks for that.  That was what I remembered too. It was the 'whitewash' comment below I was referring to. I thought I'd missed something  - I obviously didn't.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422eb17ed915d1374000053/dft_avsafety_pdf_500947.pdf

It would have seemed that the DHSS would be absolved of blame, other than their choice of contractor, which would be employed in good faith? Nothing has been proven to have been the precise cause of the accident. I would have thought that the only thing which would make some amends would be insurance through compensation for the victims and a lot more compassion from IoM Govt at the time? 

• Like 1

One of the recommendations was to the CAA to change the single pilot for passenger transportation to two which the AAIB seems to think would have avoided that accident as being due to the pilot's distraction or incapacity.  Not sure how you can whitewash something done in accordance with the prevailing regulatory requirements.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It would have seemed that the DHSS would be absolved of blame, other than their choice of contractor, which would be employed in good faith? Nothing has been proven to have been the precise cause of the accident. I would have thought that the only thing which would make some amends would be insurance through compensation for the victims and a lot more compassion from IoM Govt at the time? 

Spot on. Although the owner of the airframe and flight operator should have had insurance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1