General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

On 2/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, Josem said:

It's definitely possible - I do not know. The explanation by @Roger Mexico is persuasive to me.

My gut feeling is that it comes down to how you define someone as "Manx" - our imprecise English language has a bunch of people that might be considered Manx in various contexts, and not in other contexts.

For example:

A) PersonA has 4 grandparents born in IOM and 2 parents born in IOM, but the mother gives birth in Liverpool. PersonA tragically dies a week after birth - is that person "Manx", despite never having been to IOM? What if they live be to 70 years old and never visit the Isle of Man?

B) PersonB has all ancestors born elsewhere, but is born in IOM. Are they Manx? 

C) PersonC has all ancestors born elsewhere, is born in London, and moves with their family to IOM as a young child. After living in IOM for 70 years, are they "Manx"?

D) Next year, I'll have lived most of my adult life here. Am I Manx?

I certainly have no confidence on how to answer A or B or C* or even D**. There are various ideas of Manx as a concept of nationality, ethnicity, and culture - and few of them are likely to be binary. I could imagine strong arguments in favour each of A/B/C/D being Manx.

*I met someone last year who fits the description of "C", and he didn't think of himself as "Manx" - so even different people who fit these demographics might have different ideas around self-identity.

**Hence, I describe myself as "becoming Manx by choice". I doubt I'll ever get all the way there, perhaps it's a gradual process that I'll never achieve? I don't know.

How difficult is the concept of born here makes you Manx, born off the island but under the care of our nhs, as in IOM pay and care for, baby is Manx.  It’s not a hard concept, just like children of military gain parent nationality no matter country of birth.
  You are Australian or where ever.  Don’t over think it, it’s a simple concept. I would not go to live in Australia and expect to claim I was Australian.  We would be immigrants and resident of Australia.  You should be proud to be an Australian and your heritage.  You know what you are when you fill it in on forms or census. 

18 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

How difficult is the concept of born here makes you Manx, born off the island but under the care of our nhs, as in IOM pay and care for, baby is Manx.  

I guess "geography of birth" is one way that you can determine it. Other people might decide on the basis of ethnicity, or culture, or nationality. I don't think there's an objectively "correct" answer today.

18 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

I would not go to live in Australia and expect to claim I was Australian.  

Why would you not expect to claim that? Literally hundreds of thousands of people do so every year, and saying that an immigrant can't become Australian* is an wildly offensive thing in the eyes of many people. There are community festivals and ceremonies held in figuratively every town in Australia where people claim the right to become Australian.

Welcoming migrants to be fully-fledged members of the nation is the norm in most countries of the world - hence, the whole concept of naturalisation. Here in the Isle of Man, there are naturalisation ceremonies, and it is surprising that at those ceremonies, people seem to become British, rather than Manx. It is odd and unusual that the normal rights & responsibilities of citizenship (voting, jury duty, military conscription, work rights, etc) in the Isle of Man are mostly not tied to citizenship, but instead tied to residency.

*Or American, or Canadian, or British, or etc.

I know what a fucking Manxie is and what it fucking isn’t. I can label Johnny Foreigner quick as look at him. By which I mean any bugger not from down my way. For example, bloody Wattersons from over the Bridge, Corrins from Peel and Cowells from Douglas. Foreigners the lot of ‘em. And don’t get me started on those aliens from Laxey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Josem said:

I guess "geography of birth" is one way that you can determine it. Other people might decide on the basis of ethnicity, or culture, or nationality. I don't think there's an objectively "correct" answer today.

Why would you not expect to claim that? Literally hundreds of thousands of people do so every year, and saying that an immigrant can't become Australian* is an wildly offensive thing in the eyes of many people. There are community festivals and ceremonies held in figuratively every town in Australia where people claim the right to become Australian.

Welcoming migrants to be fully-fledged members of the nation is the norm in most countries of the world - hence, the whole concept of naturalisation. Here in the Isle of Man, there are naturalisation ceremonies, and it is surprising that at those ceremonies, people seem to become British, rather than Manx. It is odd and unusual that the normal rights & responsibilities of citizenship (voting, jury duty, military conscription, work rights, etc) in the Isle of Man are mostly not tied to citizenship, but instead tied to residency.

*Or American, or Canadian, or British, or etc.

Load of shite mate.  The fact that you dribbled all that  rubbish is proof your not Manx.  Manx is a culture and Heritage, from birth, you personally are either Australian by culture and heritage and British by paperwork.    Is that simple enough for you?    Wannabe Manx is what you are, not ‘Manx by choice’.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I know what a fucking Manxie is and what it fucking isn’t. I can label Johnny Foreigner quick as look at him. By which I mean any bugger not from down my way. For example, bloody Wattersons from over the Bridge, Corrins from Peel and Cowells from Douglas. Foreigners the lot of ‘em. And don’t get me started on those aliens from Laxey.

those from Onchan, please refrain from commenting...:thumbsup:

There was an interesting discussion in this thread. Josem posted a load of  off-topic gibberish but people ignored it and the thread rolled on, until Buncha Wankas bit, and the thread becomes a tired re-hash of what it means to be Manx.

The lesson is ignore Josem's bullshit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1