General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

On 2/5/2021 at 1:25 PM, Declan said:

There was an interesting discussion in this thread. Josem posted a load of  off-topic gibberish but people ignored it and the thread rolled on, until Buncha Wankas bit, and the thread becomes a tired re-hash of what it means to be Manx.

Well Buncha Wankas usually posts trying to get other people to bite, so I suppose it counts as mutual aid.  But it's worth pointing out that by my reckoning a majority of MHKs weren't actually born on the Island[1] and neither (probably) were a majority of the electorate.  So worrying whether you are sufficiently 'Manx' seems a bit pointless.

[1]  Allinson, Baker, Bettison/Barber, Boot, Caine, Cannan, Harmer, Hooper, Moorhouse, Perkins, Robertshaw, Shimmins, Thomas.  Though some will have have Manx family (Cannan) or come here when young.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Undoubtedly

Image result for Uhtred

The assumption that this Uhtred (not that Uhtred) is a ‘he’ is simply that - an assumption. When choosing my moniker years ago I overheard a lady in Onchan library ask a staff member ‘Do you have the latest Uhtred book?’ I had precisely zero knowledge of who Uhtred was - or their gender - but liked the name. The fact that I spelt it correctly was phonetic good luck too!

I think I’d like some of the MHKs to be Manx but I don’t consider it a requirement. What I do consider a requirement for a Manx candidate( or any other)is that they have been off Island and working in a professional field and/or gained life experience in a big corporate, public service (teacher, nurse, military) - both would be ideal . I want broad experience leading to good judgement from my MHK. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Beer Boy said:

I think I’d like some of the MHKs to be Manx but I don’t consider it a requirement. What I do consider a requirement for a Manx candidate( or any other)is that they have been off Island and working in a professional field and/or gained life experience in a big corporate, public service (teacher, nurse, military) - both would be ideal . I want broad experience leading to good judgement from my MHK. 

I personally would like the following, integrity honesty transparency and most important of all willing to challenge bad governance, if we in the west could get a candidate with one of the above attributes I would be satisfied as we currently have none of the above!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I personally would like the following, integrity honesty transparency and most important of all willing to challenge bad governance, if we in the west could get a candidate with one of the above attributes I would be satisfied as we currently have none of the above!

Hear hear. I do see much more challenge at present in HOK and Tynwald but some of it is clear electioneering and some questions are stupid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beer Boy said:

I agree with most of that. How long would any potential MHK have to had to live on the island to reflect the island's views and needs to be most effective as an MHK. ?

3 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I turn once again to the 7 Nolan principles.

All Government employees and elected officials have to abide by them. If they are found wanting, then anyone can make a complaint and have it investigated. I don't think may people are aware of that as most of the complaints come up on here instead. 

20 hours ago, Beer Boy said:

Hear hear. I do see much more challenge at present in HOK and Tynwald but some of it is clear electioneering and some questions are stupid.

The candidate who acknowledges Government waste, challenges bad governance and is willing to admit the same, would get my vote in an instant ! Dumb obedience to a compromised leader and administration is no longer an option.  Also one who insists on a Government unafraid to stamp its authority on developers, and others to whom it currently genuflects will also be a requirement. Oh and a sensible "green" agenda which doesn't crash the economy would be good too.

So I guess I'll be choosing the least worst again then !

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, asitis said:

The candidate who acknowledges Government waste, challenges bad governance and is willing to admit the same, would get my vote in an instant ! Dumb obedience to a compromised leader and administration is no longer an option.  Also one who insists on a Government unafraid to stamp its authority on developers, and others to whom it currently genuflects will also be a requirement. Oh and a sensible "green" agenda which doesn't crash the economy would be good too.

So I guess I'll be choosing the least worst again then !

Ypu could always stand for election yourself?

Any green agenda isnt going to be sensible.  It'll be expensive for no meaningful return.  It's a very expensive flag waving exercise.

What are developers doing that  needs stamping on?

• Haha 1

Just now, TerryFuchwit said:

Ypu could always stand for election yourself?

Any green agenda isnt going to be sensible.  It'll be expensive for no meaningful return.  It's a very expensive flag waving exercise.

What are developers doing that  needs stamping on?

I've said often that I wouldn't stand for election as I don't consider I have the necessary life experience to make a difference. I find it disturbing that some intellectually challenged morons wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and see a consummate politician and cerebral powerhouse to direct the direction and welfare of a country !

The green agenda we certainly need to be preserving and enhancing what we have in terms of the continued wellbeing of the populace.

Developers are riding roughshod over planning policy, they make sure that area plans are vigorously encouraged to manoeuvre green fields into the housing zones, which makes subsequent planning appeals almost meaningless. They do not build affordable housing for those at the bottom of the ladder, 265K is not a starter mortgage !, they pay lip service to the green agenda which it would be easy for them to make a contribution towards by building to the latest efficiency standards . They fit gas boilers to what they term starter homes ! an already expensive first purchase is made expensive to run the moment you move in. They do not offer any alternatives to gas, my daughter tried to pay for a conversion to oil in the build but they said we have to sell them with gas and you won't get planning permission for anything else ! This term starter homes is just their way of getting permission to build the larger high value homes on green fields. You cannot build your way out of a slump !

FWIW my views.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Apple said:

turn once again to the 7 Nolan principles.

All Government employees and elected officials have to abide by them. If they are found wanting, then anyone can make a complaint and have it investigated. I don't think may people are aware of that as most of the complaints come up on here instead. 

More chance of it being read here and replied too.

• Like 1

In respect of housing here is something which is a bit strange, my daughter in law had a flat in Douglas which was on the Government assisted purchase scheme, when she moved out some 4 years ago, Government purchased her flat back from her. It was a smart property in excellent order. It is still empty today. I am puzzled as to the housing crisis we supposedly have for the young when property like this is empty ? Could it be Government prefer to push the construction agenda ?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, asitis said:

In respect of housing here is something which is a bit strange, my daughter in law had a flat in Douglas which was on the Government assisted purchase scheme, when she moved out some 4 years ago, Government purchased her flat back from her. It was a smart property in excellent order. It is still empty today. I am puzzled as to the housing crisis we supposedly have for the young when property like this is empty ? Could it be Government prefer to push the construction agenda ?

That doesn't make any sense to me.

If it has remained empty it has nothing to do with an "agenda".

It will be empty because either (a) the assisted buying scheme isn't getting applicants or (b,) the applicants are turning their nose up at what is available .

Where's the flat?

14 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

That doesn't make any sense to me.

If it has remained empty it has nothing to do with an "agenda".

It will be empty because either (a) the assisted buying scheme isn't getting applicants or (b,) the applicants are turning their nose up at what is available .

Where's the flat?

It doesn't make any sense to me either, its Victoria Road, nice flats decent people !