General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

18 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Max , it’s not as only white people can be racist as it’s based on power and white peoples have all the power ( economic and social ). But I’ll bow out now as Kangaroo Jack seems to have outed someone ( I know who you are , actually voted for you but I guess you lost for speaking too much common sense ) but I don’t think it’s fair to out someone , although I don’t have a clue who that person outed by Kangeroo Jack is. 

Racist means promoting, rooted in, or indicative of racism, as in racist ideology or racist comments. It can be used as a noun meaning a racist person. Racism is most commonly used to name a form of prejudice in which a person believes in the superiority of what they consider to be their own “ race ” over others.

I think that 'racist' means many things, but as I said, it can apply to all skin colours and races.

Thanks for the vote by the way, still undecided about whether to try again though! 

Some recent material has been deleted following reports. Moderators are satisfied Mr Corrie is being divorced on grounds of adultery with Mrs Christian. It’s a private matter. Things said on here have upset family members including children.

The matter is closed. Any further comments about the situation will be removed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Barlow said:

Not according to a letter in last week's Isle of Man Examiner.

1110484888_20210200NoracismfromManxpeople01.thumb.jpg.28783afab047399f48b2e653107bb601.jpg

(A letter that is somewhat ironically racist in itself. Woke or what!)

Ah . . see there has been a reply to the somewhat obsequious Mr Tipping's letter in today's Examiner/

Well said Ray:

331149260_20210216IMEletters000.thumb.jpg.22082b67a8018efb9d8f58fdd3f2bde8.jpg

On 2/15/2021 at 7:12 PM, kangaroo jack said:

That’s a bit disappointing if it is the case.

I’m relatively new to the Island and would have hoped people would be a bit more to the forefront of exercising their democratic rights over here.

Is that really the vote - that's appauling!

On 1/31/2021 at 10:31 AM, TerryFuchwit said:

Good luck.  

Where did you get statistics from that the Isle of Man drug and suicide death rate is twice that of the UK?

I saw the stats that 22 IOM suicides last year - thats rediculous for such a small island, something needs to be done - what are the prespective candidates on here going to do about this?

On 1/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, The Duck of Atholl said:

She herself doesn't have to push it, she knows it will be pushed on her behalf. from the MR article...

"Sarah Maltby, who is the daughter of former politician David Cretney, has announced she'll be standing in the Douglas South constituency." from the Manx Radio article. 

If I stood would they bother to mention my dad, Dave Drake general all round good duck? I don't think so.

Let's wait and see how much he appears in the media as a canvasser in the coming months

Whats wrong with using infuence to support your daughter in her election?

On 1/20/2021 at 3:00 AM, Sarah Maltby said:

Hello Manx Forums!

Sarah Maltby here, honestly it is me! 

Just wanted to answer some of the questions/queries that have been asked on this thread.

1. I didn’t stand in the 2020 by-election as my youngest child had not yet started school. Although I have every confidence in my husband to manage the transitional handover, for me, it wasn’t the right time. 
  2. Secondly, I would have had to give up my job if elected. This would have left me in a very insecure position this year if I was not re-elected. I’m sure you can appreciate that as I do not have a business to fall back on this would have left my young family in a difficult financial and stressful position. I am a normal working person. 
  3. Yes, My Dad is David Cretney and No we did not plan the newspaper articles about his life and my declaration. The newspaper interview was done well before Christmas and we don’t get to choose when it’s released! Nor do we have a say on how a journalist writes their article. 
  4. My declaration was always going to be Jan 2021. This has been the plan since the GE in 2016! I have been politically  motivated since I was a kid, taking a more active part over the last 10 years. I have attended many of the Government roadshows and events held by various organisations and groups around the Island. I’m surprised we haven’t already met at one of these meetings.
  5. I declared early because I have a young family, work full time and there are 2500 houses to visit! I am a firm believer in 1-1 ‘meet and greets’ which is impossible at the moment and very frustrating. I did manage to visit 100-150 houses before the lockdown to simply introduce myself. This is very important to me and I want to leave enough time to personally visit every home. 
  6. I also want people to give me a fair shot. A late declaration would have looked like I was trying to get in on the back of who my dad is. That is 100% not what I want. This is about me. I feel I can’t do right for doing wrong with this one sadly. 
  7. The MLP are almost finished the latest policy manifesto so, when that is released I hope to share our ideas. The interview I gave with Paul Moulton was a little vague but, this is the reason why! A first ‘Live’ interview during a pandemic on top of normal life was a little nerve wracking so please give me time.
  8. I can tell these posts have not been made by anyone who knows me as anyone who does knows I am fiercely independent. I ain’t no puppet!! I have had 35 years of being the ‘daughter of’ rather than being introduced as myself. It becomes a little tiresome. Trust me!
  9. I bring with me my own professional experiences in mental health, education, health and social care. I have worked and volunteered in these sectors for 20+ years and hope anyone reading this gives me the opportunity to get to know me and my values and principles. 
  10. My family background is unavoidable and so it will occasionally be the focus of an interviewers questions. I don’t set the questions and nor do I want to. I’m sure I will get help delivering leaflets on the run to the election but surely this is ‘normal’ practice. I can’t exactly not include my Dad in my campaign team- it can only be done with the generous support of family and friends.

I think that’s it all covered, sorry if I have missed anything I’ll pop back on here tomorrow to check however, email is my preferred method of contact if anything needs to be brought to my attention urgently. 

In the meantime here are my contact details:

Sarah.Maltby@outlook.com

Fb: Sarah Maltby 

Insta: Sarah_Maltby_IOM

Thanks for reading, if you still are!

Sarah Maltby

Candidate for South Douglas, House of Keys General Election 2021.

Good for you