General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

5 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's AfriKa now if you're woke. Apparently the 'c' was a European modification and colonial white supremacy toxic male blah blah thingummy.

Well fair play to the Germans then...they’ve always spelt it like that.

5 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's AfriKa now if you're woke. Apparently the 'c' was a European modification and colonial white supremacy toxic male blah blah thingummy.

ica is just a Latin word ending/suffix meaning land of. Celtica, land of Celts, Africa, land of Afri - Libya/Tunisia/Algeria

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

ica is just a Latin word ending/suffix meaning land of. Celtica, land of Celts, Africa, land of Afri - Libya/Tunisia/Algeria

Sciatica - land of people with bad backs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, english zloty said:

Honest question. Is there any electioneering at all for the local elections, which I think are very shortly?

Last time it seemed a real struggle to get candidates never mind voters, and that's when they weren't shielding.

Anything happening?

Last week, I was talking to one of the candidates up for re-election and he was planning to start his - but obviously with lockdown now likely to be most, if not all, of March this unlikely to happen for now (other than posting leaflets etc.).

IMO, there is a high risk currently that they may have to postpone the election on 22 April - maybe shift it to May, but that will need to be legislated for.

Not sure which car park they will be having that Council meeting in yet :P

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

IMO, there is a high risk currently that they may have to postpone the election on 22 April - maybe shift it to May, but that will need to be legislated for.

Is there a possibility they would have to postpone the local elections until after the ...ahem...general election so they can encourage all the failed general election candidates to stand for the local ones ?

Asking for a friend....

15 hours ago, Aura said:

I met him recently and I couldn't get over how much he genuinely cares about this island and the people here... It was quite refreshing. He has my vote :)

You are HM Sole's mum (? does he have one? Or was he produced in a pod?) and I claim my £5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Given the usual level of voter turnout, they may as well not bother at all.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CowMan said:

To be honest HM Sole is less insane than Phil Gawne and he’s pretty insane. Didn’t Sole stand in Douglas last time? Now Arbory. Does he live in some sort of levitating space ship than can be in any Sheading?

He came 9th. Out of 10. Just ahead of the guy who had to leave the island and self isolate with about 50 votes...