General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

10 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Because some of them are elderly or not in good health and are staying on as commissioners to ensure the board functions or doesn't require a byelection to be quorate

I have not seen or heard that.

However, if that is the wide case then amalgamation and digitisation could make things a lot easier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, piebaps said:

What's your solution?

In the current situation we find ourselves in with having to issue notice of election on 16th March - a delay for 3 months seems the best option with acknowledgement of the issues that will arise with a Keys election scheduled 2 months later. Also have to appreciate that the longer the can gets kicked down the road the more issues might start arising.

If I had a magic wand and a few months notice I'd probably be looking towards a contingency plan.

It strikes me there are two main issues with holding an election at the moment. Canvassing and voting.

The voting I think is the easier of the two issues as you could move to a postal voting system, we already post out polling cards so it is not a massive leap to have a postal return vote. The Americans managed it and whilst there's always the risk that Grenaby's answer to Donald Trump will call fraud I think the risk is acceptable in the current climate. It would also be nice and this could have been the catalyst for online voting to be rolled out. Even without a Pandemic going forward anything that makes voting more convenient in addition to in person voting is a good thing in my eyes.

Canvassing is more complicated but it basically revolves around the legislated framework that imposes the rules on elections and how we ensure that it retains the integrity needed so that errors or fraud in the election don't occur but also we aren't doing something because that's the way it was decided in 1957 or whatever. The paper form for nominations is an example where it could be amended to cut down on someone needing to walk round 10 people and get them to sign the form - reduce down the number to 5 perhaps or remove signatures and allow a phonecall authorisation (not a perfect simple solution but safer). I'd also consider extending the deadlines out so the process starts earlier to give candidates more time to get things sorted and also allow them more time to canvas as door to door knocking would be out and we'd be relying on a manifesto posted or information on a notice board more, online information would come to the fore. That does of course start to disenfranchise candidates who are not online which is a drawback.

I'm not going to champion the above suggestions as a gold plated perfect solution, it's an opening salvo in brainstorming options. What bothers me about this current strategy is it appears to be the ONLY option considered and we appear to have got here on the back of "well lets hope there isn't a covid outbreak in March and April 2021" strategy rather than a "well we had to delay 2020's elections by 1 year what can we do to avoid that happening again" thought process. I may be being very unfair here but I'm not seeing a great deal of evidence to the contrary so far.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Apple said:

I have not seen or heard that.

However, if that is the wide case then amalgamation and digitisation could make things a lot easier.

Amalgamation of some boards is a separate discussion and shouldn't be shoe horned in because of Covid.

Digitisation would make a number of things easier and more efficient. It would also disenfranchise people who aren't as au fait with or don't have access to computers. We should be moving forward with the use of technology and computers more but it has to be in addition to not instead of in my humble opinion.

• Like 3

Can't argue with any of that. I love Grenaby Trump too (I presume that's the Southern Grenaby which is obviously full of dodgy people and not the Northern Grenaby which is inhabited by paragons of virtue:D).

Postal voting is neat and quick. Electronic is better but on an economy of scale, buying in a secure system is probably not worth it. Having said that security perhaps isn't an issue. I've never had to identify myself under the current system.

Canvassing is probably less of an issue tbh. We need a system to defeat voter apathy and running an election without doorstepping is unlikely to affect turnout in the grand scheme of things.

For this election, anything which requires a primary law change is unlikely to get through the branches. We're 6 months away from a Keys election so traditionally nothing really gets done.

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

We need a system to defeat voter apathy

That is certainly an issue as highlighted on here regularly. Often the associated comments though are around the candidates who are standing and apparently the changes they undergo when elected and the commitments made having to be shaped to meet Govt / CS aims instead. 

3 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

That does of course start to disenfranchise candidates who are not online which is a drawback.

This has now become a feature of life in general I am afraid. Older people being asked to register for vaccination online, on line consultations on significant changes to fundamental services  (health etc) but Govt still pushing ahead with an on-line systems. I totally agree with your comment but some of the aspects produced under Covid will likely stay.

4 hours ago, Apple said:

Time to bite bullets, like we all have had to this year.

I’m not sure anyone is that bothered about the local elections being disrupted. It’s not like any of them are doing anything at the moment other then emptying the bins. Working from home, civic amenity tips shut, can’t do inside repairs on housing due to covid restrictions. Most authority’s have put the rates up on top. They’re not needed. Just disband them all and let a load of pensioners sit at home feeling slightly less important and wanted. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, piebaps said:

Can't argue with any of that. I love Grenaby Trump too (I presume that's the Southern Grenaby which is obviously full of dodgy people and not the Northern Grenaby which is inhabited by paragons of virtue:D).

That'll be because Southern Grenaby lot are English, no doubt? :whistling::D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

One of the southern Grenaby estates has a maze, I trimmed it once. Took me three days, got lost.

56798999_GrenabyEstates01.thumb.jpg.1c25af6388e242d7812db4a4848eae52.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah that one. I also pressure washed the concrete river pond system they had with an awesome diesel powered pressure steam machine. What a beast of a thing that was. 

Shush then.The Corpy'll be all over that to remove chewie from the streets.