General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That’s my favourite job in the whole world there - power washing  I’m envious of your time with the beast.

I once lived on the bridge in Grenaby. Did that make me north or south? I have a feel north.  Do hope so. 

On the bridge in Grenaby..? South, surely.

Edited to add - I see that others beat me to it confirming that you were deffo south. I think I did know that there’s a Grenaby Road down north. It’s Old Norse - Grenaby = ‘Green Farmstead’.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Uhtred said:

On the bridge in Grenaby..? South, surely.

Edited to add - I see that others beat me to it confirming that you were deffo south. I think I did know that there’s a Grenaby Road down north. It’s Old Norse - Grenaby = ‘Green Farmstead’.

Any idea where Green Farmstead is/was?

10 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Any idea where Green Farmstead is/was?

In terms of the south - no I’m afraid not. Possibly where Grenaby Mooar equestrian place is, but Grenaby is a fairly woolly distinction down that way and covers a relatively large area. Also, with the greatest of respect to lovely Roxanne, if we are literal about it, she didn’t live on (or near) the bridge at Grenaby because the bridge is actually on Kerrowkeeil Road, as is the property Roxanne resided at. Grenaby Road swings through 90 degrees a few yards back towards the equestrian centre, and heads south(ish) to emerge on the periphery of Ballabeg.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

In terms of the south - no I’m afraid not. Possibly where Grenaby Mooar equestrian place is, but Grenaby is a fairly woolly distinction down that way and covers a relatively large area. Also, with the greatest of respect to lovely Roxanne, if we are literal about it, she didn’t live on (or near) the bridge at Grenaby because the bridge is actually on Kerrowkeeil Road, as is the property Roxanne resided at. Grenaby Road swings through 90 degrees a few yards back towards the equestrian centre, and heads south(ish) to emerge on the periphery of Ballabeg.

On the old map Grenaby Mooar is called Ballabeg.

Its well worth playing with, bottom left above the scale there is a window icon, select basemap historic and zoom in. 

https://manngis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a629c3051bae4f7392a3bcdf5dc92b6a

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

On the old map Grenaby Mooar is called Ballabeg.

Its well worth playing with, bottom left above the scale there is a window icon, select basemap historic and zoom in. 

https://manngis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a629c3051bae4f7392a3bcdf5dc92b6a

That’s all very interesting. I see that the ‘Grenaby’ designation on the map is almost on top of where Roxanne lived, and actually (just) outside the area bounded within Grenaby Road. Two Ballavarkish Farms and a mysterious chapel and burial ground in the middle of nowhere! Fascinating stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

That’s all very interesting. I see that the ‘Grenaby’ designation on the map is almost on top of where Roxanne lived, and actually (just) outside the area bounded within Grenaby Road. Two Ballavarkish Farms and a mysterious chapel and burial ground in the middle of nowhere! Fascinating stuff.

One of the things that always strikes me looking at old maps is the amount of water works there used to be. There's a mill race down there too, running Grenaby cornmill. Who knew?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

One of the things that always strikes me looking at old maps is the amount of water works there used to be. There's a mill race down there too, running Grenaby cornmill. Who knew?

Absolutely - mills of varying sizes all over the place. The history of the Island, very much including the landscape, is endlessly intriguing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If anyone one is interested in old maps, a good place to start is the National Library of Scotland website, which doesn't just cover Scotland.  Here's the Grenaby area from the 1866 Ordinance Survey for example.

I love maps. Old, new, doesn't matter. I collect particularly interesting ones and thrilled to see maps can be ordered from that site. Probably can't afford any right now though. 

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If anyone one is interested in old maps, a good place to start is the National Library of Scotland website, which doesn't just cover Scotland.  Here's the Grenaby area from the 1866 Ordinance Survey for example.

Similar map to the one on manngis, seems to work a little better on there than the scottish one. On my computer anyway. 

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Similar map to the one on manngis, seems to work a little better on there than the scottish one. On my computer anyway. 

The Manngis one must be based on the 1866 survey and maps because it shows the Villa as Villa Marina Hotel and it was only used as that between 1864 and 1868.  Because it includes things like field numbers, it's probably the working government version rather than the NLS one which will be what was published to be sold to the public.