General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

44 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

The father called Snooker, and the son Castletown?

No, that’s not how it reads. Castletown qualifies the words “The (black)smiths”.

if the words “The (black) smiths” weren’t there you’d be right.

What an interesting read, I can recall the Blacksmiths at the 4 Roads PSM from my days at Rushen Primary late 60s early 70s

I remember Stanley Garrett too from Grenaby, as I worked with him at Colas 79/86, and he kept bees and sold some fantastic honey. Haven’t seen him since the 80s, lovely guy!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, John Wright said:

No, that’s not how it reads. Castletown qualifies the words “The (black)smiths”.

if the words “The (black) smiths” weren’t there you’d be right.

Literacy and grammar aren't your strongest points, John. The sentence is poorly cast and ambiguous, as you have inadvertently demonstrated.

3 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Literacy and grammar aren't your strongest points, John. The sentence is poorly cast and ambiguous, as you have inadvertently demonstrated.

The niceness was good while it lasted folks.:(

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I see Chris Thomas, and a few others, want to postpone the local elections as they discussed in HoK last week.

CT doesn't want it to be determined by the politicians (presumably as they may have some hidden agenda for doing so) but then promptly suggest dates when they could be held.

We may end up with the situation for them to be around the general elections time, but CT doesn't want to reduce the turn out for the locals as the attendance is bad enough.

I would go with mid to end of July, after Tynwald Day, if that ever goes ahed.