General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

57 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

good for KLB,  but once in she'll get nowhere like everybody else that has tried, far too many vested interests in keeping the status quo.

True, however, that is exactly why we need more of KLB type people to be elected. If there are enough independent voices then things can change, hopefully for the better. Fingers crossed, Harmer will be 'hammered' and Boot will be 'booted' at the GE. Sorry if that sounds a bit too cheesy.:D

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Good news for Peel? One of Harmer or Boot would be likely to lose.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-declares-for-election/

Good news for her pay packet. Less pay and one year to go. Versus a flat 20% increase for five years. And no risk apart from campaign time and cost. Not really done a lot as an MLC apart from resign from things

Edited by english zloty
  • Like 1

During the discussion about the new Tynwald pay structure, when it was suggested that MLCs should earn less because they have no constituency obligations.  I seem to remember KLB remarking that as an MLC you could get a lot of people coming to you for help as well.  Which suggests that the two current MHKs may be seen as not particularly effective and so vulnerable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

During the discussion about the new Tynwald pay structure, when it was suggested that MLCs should earn less because they have no constituency obligations.  I seem to remember KLB remarking that as an MLC you could get a lot of people coming to you for help as well.  Which suggests that the two current MHKs may be seen as not particularly effective and so vulnerable.

Or, to put it another way, they're crap

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

nice to see some real competition out west

What was odd last time is that the old Peel Constituency usually had loads of candidates.  When Hazel Hannan was elected in 1986 there were nine candidates for a single seat.  Even the 2015 by-election had four.

6 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

what are the rules on MLC's standing for MHK?

Do they have to resign as an MLC before campaigning or can they stay in post if they lose?

I can't see anything to stop it according the qualifications in the candidates' guide.  There seem to be a convention that if you are a government employee that you have to resign to fight a Keys election, but that may be more to do with terms of employment.  The only people who seem specifically barred are the judiciary - Deemsters and High Bailiffs.

Singer is the only one I can think of who did so recently: 

First stood and elected as Member of the House of Keys for Ramsey in 1996, re-elected in 2001. First stood and elected to the Legislative Council in 2003, resigned in 2006. Contested Ramsey unsuccessfully in 2006 then re-elected as Member of the House of Keys for Ramsey in 2011

Though it doesn't add that he then lost in 2016 and I can't remember when he resigned in 2006 to contest Ramsey.  I seem to remember quite early in the year.

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What was odd last time is that the old Peel Constituency usually had loads of candidates.  When Hazel Hannan was elected in 1986 there were nine candidates for a single seat.  Even the 2015 by-election had four.

Hazel Hannan fought the 1991 and 1996 General Elections with 3 candidates and 2001 just 2 candidates. She lost out to Tim Crookall in 2006, there was just one other candidate.

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though it doesn't add that he then lost in 2016 and I can't remember when he resigned in 2006 to contest Ramsey.  I seem to remember quite early in the year.

Leonard Singer attended the October 2006 Tynwald. The General Election was the following month. 

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

Hazel Hannan fought the 1991 and 1996 General Elections with 3 candidates and 2001 just 2 candidates. She lost out to Tim Crookall in 2006, there was just one other candidate.

Still effectively more than three for two seats though.  Long serving MHKs often tend to get little opposition and the results then show why.  but in 2016 Harmer (and Boot) had only been there a year or so.  Peel does have a tradition of being heavily contested when it's more open. 

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

Leonard Singer attended the October 2006 Tynwald. The General Election was the following month. 

Thanks, I should have known he would leave things to the last possible moment.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Still effectively more than three for two seats though.  Long serving MHKs often tend to get little opposition and the results then show why.  but in 2016 Harmer (and Boot) had only been there a year or so.  Peel does have a tradition of being heavily contested when it's more open. 

Thanks, I should have known he would leave things to the last possible moment.

He did . There was no mention in Hansard of his resigning and the next LegCo meeting after the election they just said he wasn't there.

Up against sitting (and returned) MHKs Allan Bell and Anne Craine it was a risky thing to do, but to be fair he wasn't too far out. Bearing in mind it only takes one person to say to anyone on the Isle of Man "you should stand for MHK" for a hopeful's ego to snap into action and the nomination forms completed.