General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

For me, it's anyone who is not close to the "old boys club", it is time to let the light shine in on Manx politics.Policies developed in the light of day with explainability and accountability at their root should be better politics imo.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, asitis said:

For me, it's anyone who is not close to the "old boys club", it is time to let the light shine in on Manx politics.Policies developed in the light of day with explainability and accountability at their root should be better politics imo.

Quite agree. The issue is selecting those who will strive to deliver this.

Based on the last 5 years which of the present incumbents would be ideal to vote in again, if they were all standing (I know some are reportedly not).

Skelly is standing down at the election, but he has thrown his hat into the ring to be El Presidente of Tynpotwald. Poor them. He has screwed up the economy of the island, if the Tynpotwalders vote him to be El Presidente, he can screw that up as well. Mind you, if HRH The Chief Minister stands, then I’d support Skelly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Skelly is standing down at the election, but he has thrown his hat into the ring to be El Presidente of Tynpotwald. Poor them. He has screwed up the economy of the island, if the Tynpotwalders vote him to be El Presidente, he can screw that up as well. Mind you, if HRH The Chief Minister stands, then I’d support Skelly.

Probably won’t stand down if Watterson gets President role as gives him a chance of reelection 

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably won’t stand down if Watterson gets President role as gives him a chance of reelection 

He’s specifically said that if he isn’t elected President he will return to the private sector. Do you never read links or check your foolish posts?

His CV describes his private sector experience as “Travel and tourism, e-business consultant, a wholesaler and event manager”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Some MHKs don't appear wholly enamoured with self-described 'geek' Speaker Watterson or perhaps the standing orders committee he chairs

Major changes to Tynwald order papers | News | (iomtoday.co.im)

and yet they voted unanimously in favour of it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

He’s specifically said that if he isn’t elected President he will return to the private sector. Do you never read links or check your foolish posts?

His CV describes his private sector experience as “Travel and tourism, e-business consultant, a wholesaler and event manager”

What politicians say & what they actually do are 2 different things as I thought you would know by now!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

What politicians say & what they actually do are 2 different things as I thought you would know by now!

Yes. And I might have speculated, you know, “what’s the betting if…” but you claimed probably, which is a high degree of certainty.