General Thread for the election (old Electioneering starting early thread from Local News)

14 hours ago, Banker said:

I’m struggling to remember any of his successes, what were they? 

I’m struggling too. Didn’t the Department of then Tourism under his leadership screw up on the ‘Signature’ Contract? Though I could be wrong! 

13 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Just re-election and signed pop group posters I believe.

Furthermore if people go back to page 5 of this thread and read particularly paragraphs 8 and 10 of her post. In that post she states she wants to step out of the shadows etc. However, several months on and evidenced by the FB post above we can see that it is still all about her dad.

Why didn’t she stand for local election, particularly Douglas Clowncil? Some of the finest Tynpotwald members have been Clowncillors, Chris Thomas, Ann Corbett, Jon Joughin and in the past, Alex Downie and Dominic Delaney.

I disagree with Sam Harmer and Devon Watson, both big noises and shouty types - ‘right on left wing woke political correct brigade members, within the MLP, but at least they stood for local election and were successful. I respect them for having the courage of their convictions.

Sadly Sarah Maltby sounds like her fathers biggest cheerleader, founder of the Manx Labour Party fan club. To me it’s like a ‘Chumocracy’ and Nepotistic’, as though she could be elected on the Cretney name. The people of Douglas South deserve better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Why didn’t she stand for local election, particularly Douglas Clowncil? Some of the finest Tynpotwald members have been Clowncillors, Chris Thomas, Ann Corbett, Jon Joughin and in the past, Alex Downie and Dominic Delaney.

I disagree with Sam Harmer and Devon Watson, both big noises and shouty types - ‘right on left wing woke political correct brigade members, within the MLP, but at least they stood for local election and were successful. I respect them for having the courage of their convictions.

Sadly Sarah Maltby sounds like her fathers biggest cheerleader, founder of the Manx Labour Party fan club. To me it’s like a ‘Chumocracy’ and Nepotistic’, as though she could be elected on the Cretney name. The people of Douglas South deserve better.

The time is not to re-elect the old boys club in a frock !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asitis said:

The time is not to re-elect the old boys club in a frock !

I dunno..... I think the Island would benefit from some late in life trans awareness

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

The people of Douglas South will decide for themselves

How do people join the Manx Labour Party Fan Club?

On 5/5/2021 at 7:25 PM, Fluffy123 said:

Ashford was against collective responsibility in his. 

It is nice to know that DA was against collective responsibility in his 2016 manifesto, but he did not seem to challenge the status quo after he became a Minister, in fact he went actively along with it.

Our political class is a mishmash of individuals who are only held accountable by their constituents once every 5 years. As soon as the MHKs get invited to join the Council of Ministers (cabal), it is no longer clear whose agendas those MHKs are pursuing. In many cases, loyalty to the ‘cabal’ means actively opposing the promises they made to get them there, as seems to be the case with DA. IMHO, this all leads to a lack of transparency and accountability, and is an impediment to responsive democracy, and is now reaching a boiling point.

3 hours ago, code99 said:

It is nice to know that DA was against collective responsibility in his 2016 manifesto, but he did not seem to challenge the status quo after he became a Minister, in fact he went actively along with it.

Our political class is a mishmash of individuals who are only held accountable by their constituents once every 5 years. As soon as the MHKs get invited to join the Council of Ministers (cabal), it is no longer clear whose agendas those MHKs are pursuing. In many cases, loyalty to the ‘cabal’ means actively opposing the promises they made to get them there, as seems to be the case with DA. IMHO, this all leads to a lack of transparency and accountability, and is an impediment to responsive democracy, and is now reaching a boiling point.

If you'd read the collective responsibility rules you would know that constituency matters are exempt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Amadeus has it all in his back pocket & is waiting for demand I think

he's just got to buy and then sell 3 more cars for his wife and he'll be all over it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1